Oil...What to use in your TDI

oilman

Forum Sponsor
According to my info, your car doesn't have a DPF so no need to worry about it.

A small top up with 505.00 spec oils is fine, you don't want to add to much though.

The Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Edge TD 5w-40 are fine to use. Quantum being made by Castrol is irrelevant, it's not a re-labelled Castrol oil, it's a more basic oil made to a lower budget like all own brand oils.

Cheers

Tim

Andrei_Nick

Apr 16, 2012
Hello everyone, i have a leon, year 2007 1.9 TDI with DPF and i put castrol edge 5w40 that have 505.00 or 505.01 spec(i don't remind very well). I understand that i have to put castrol edge 5w30 with 507.00 specs.
I change the oil last month, it is necessary to change again the oil with 5w30 that have 507.00 specs? or to drive like this until the next oil change?It causes big problemes if i use 5w40 505.00 or 505.01(i don't remind very well) instead of 5w30 507.00 until next oil change?
Sorry for my bad language.

Last edited:

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Last edited:

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
Pd150 arl oil

Hi oilman

Can you recommend an oil for my pd150 arl, 10k service intervals and a price list please.
Thanks

Degsy

Apr 5, 2010
Merseyside
Thanks Tim
I called the dealers and he said it should be 5w/30 I informed him I use 5w/40 on 10k changes hence why I asked you. I am right aren't I with 5w/40 the dealers also use quantum oil in silver or gold tubs am I right in thinking Fuchs or Mobil is a better oil,on your site ?
Thanks in advance
D.

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hi

The dealers are probably using a 507.00 approved oil if it's a 5w-30, so they can use it across basically any VAG car without needing to check they are using the right oil. You can use the 507.00 spec 5w-30s but they can lead to higher oil consumption. I'd probably go for a 5w-40 VW 505.01 spec oil and the Fuchs GT1 is ideal and on a really good offer today (ends at 10am tomorrow). It works out at £28.68 delivered for 5L if you use the code DAILYDEAL and it's a very good oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/showprodu...etic-engine-oil-bmw-mercedes-porsche-vw-more#

Cheers

Tim

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Hi Tim,

I've got a very high mileage mk1 seat leon PD150 which was remapped at around 90,000 miles and has now covered 172,000 miles and is due an oil change etc soon.

Service records indicate it's always had PD specific oils ranging from 0w 30w to 5w 30W of various brands and I've used millers and quantum vw spec since I've had it for the past 50,000 miles.

It does smoke a bit on start up and doesn't use an obscene amount of oil, approx. a litre in the last 10,000 miles and very little if any during the previous service intervals. Given the number of miles and the apparent increase in oil consumption, what oil would you recommend? I intend keeping this car until it stops now, so any way of prolonging the engine a bit would be much appreciated?

Regards

mat

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hi Mat

I'd service it annually/10k using a VW505.01 spec oil, if you want to stick within VW specs.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-751-vw-50501-oil.aspx

Alternatively, go for a top end ester synthetic, if you want the best protection.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the ester ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. Officially, they aren't suitable as they are not approved for PD engines. Unofficially, they far exceed the PD spec.

Cheers

Tim

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Oilman Since Mac has mentioned what he is changing his TDI gearbox oil to maybe your experience could extend to TDI Gearbox oil see http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=390659 and whether you have changed the viscosity from stock production fill for the reasons mentioned in the post ?

Paul

Hi Paul

Usually, with the newer VAG 6 speed gearboxes, a 75w is the best option for easier shifts and plenty of protection, but a modified car, an older one or one in a warmer climate is usually fine with a 75w-80/70w-80 instead.

Cheers

Tim