Rear brakes.

ibeefa

Hi all.

I've had a look through various posts on here about this, but can't find a decent answer.
I've already done the 312 tt conversion on the front of my fr pd, but am considering upgrading the rears. I need to replace a sticky o/s caliper, so was thinking of upgrading at the same time. Do the vented rears of a leon cupra r fit? How does the handbrake link up to it? Any issues? Will the vented setup of the tt fit too? Don't mind cutting the backing plates, just wanted to make sure they bolted up the same, and the lines and cables line up ok.
Thanks

ibeefa

Thanks for the reply. Have you made the modification yourself?
Any idea if these callipers have the same problem with the return spring going lazy?
Are they basically the same callipers except wider to accept vented discs?

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Not done this conversion yet but have seen it fitted. If you manage to source a refurbished set then the return spring won't be necessary.

The older ones need the extra help :) the disc is slightly larger as the originals are 232mm and single.

They are larger calipers and carriers.

If you are buying a set ensure they are from a FWD drive car, the 4motion / quattro versions will require spacers.

Last edited:

ibeefa

Ok thanks for the advice. Will keep an eye out on eBay. Already have 15mm spacers to push the rears out as is, so wouldn't want any wider. :)
I thought it was just the quatros that had the vented discs? What do octavia vrs have?
Are they 2 pot callipers?
Sorry for all the questions.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
I mean spacers for the carriers not the wheels. They sit slightly differently on the 4WD models than the FWD models.

Leon Cupras have them, FWD Audi TT have them and a few Golf models. They are only 1 pot calipers.

ibeefa

Thanks for the info. Been real helpful.
Will keep my eyes open. :)

ibeefa

Hi.
Have purchased a set of leon cupra vented rear brakes. Will have a go at fitting them soon, and let you all know if it is a nice easy change.
Fingers crossed. :)

ibeefa

Hi just to update this thread.
I've fitted the leon cupra r rear assembly. Fit straight on. The only thing I had to do was trim the back plates.
The handbrake cable is a slightly tighter fit, but fits fine with no issues.
:)

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
Ah this is good to know what's the caliper part number. On my cupra I have the ap racing on the front but I feel the rear dancesince the standard setup is so small even on the cupra.

ibeefa

I don't know the part numbers sorry.
It's the mk1 cupra R ones you want, as the lower cupra spec ones have the same set up as we have standard.
I got mine of eBay, complete assembly (calipers, carriers, discs and pads) for only £90 delivered. Very cheap.
The prices I got quoted varied from £90-£200. Just contact some people breaking cupra R's. Just make sure they are the vented setup, and make sure the bleed nipples are free, as it can be a right pain to get seized ones out without damaging the caliper.
Luckily, the discs and pads that came with my assembly, were in good shape, so im using them for now.
I would put some pics, and a helpful link up, but I can't as I havnt posted enough.

Apparently audi s3, and some tt's have the same setup. Just don't get a set off a 4x4 car as the offset Is different.

Bustabloodklart

May 2, 2017
Just had refurbed 312's fitted by that nice man Ross (Techie)
On here. They look the Nuts and have completely transformed
The way my Fr pulls up.
I'm going to get the same (256's) done to the rear BUT bear in mind it's
Cosmetic only, it'll make bugger all difference to the cars braking
ability.:D

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.