DIY Service Guide: Fuel Filter, Oil+Oil Filter, Pollen Filter, Air Filter + MAF Clean

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Hey Zenith, I think its in a different place!!

Asked a friend and he said to check here,

Lift up the bonnet, at the bottom of the windscreen area that would be under that back/front (however way you want to think about it) area of the bonnet, like where the bonnet hinges are. Maybe an area on the left or right side (think the right) is a plastic cover with a couple of (most likely) torx screws. Under that should be the pollen filter, work out swapping out the new one for that and ensure the air flow direction is correct. There may also be a embossed bif of plastic somewhere in the area with an arrow to show direction, like usually printed on the side of the filter.

That's great... just found this thread that might help ! http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8007

Good luck :)

Cheers
-Stu

Zenith

Thanks for the additional info but it was where you first said it was.
The box it was in looks different somewhat and it was only in a rage that I got it open and changed the filter.
I guess I just wasn't trying to slide it hard enough.
Thanks for all your help (and patience).
Much appreciated.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Haha fair enough, hope you didn't break anything during your car service of anger :)

At least you know for next time!!

Cheers
-Stu

JamesG13

Was a bit skeptical about doing my own service, but feel confident after looking at this guide.

Thanks for the help mate!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
That's a pleasure, its much easier than you think !!

The only really messy and slightly longer process is the oil change. All the rest can be done rather quickly!

I might be servicing that car again in the coming months as my parents are badgering me to sort it for them, perks of being the son ey :) so i might try do some videos instead, who knows.

Cheers
-Stu

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
Bournemouth / North London
Thanks for the guide its very hand as I'm about to service my Tdi 1.9 FR

Hi there

Apologies for the downtime of the photos, had some website issues ! Can't quite believe its still here :)

Just serviced that car again (parents have it now) and its all set for another year ! A nice full service for less that £50 !

Hope the guide still helps people save some money :)

Cheers
Stu

How have you done the complete service for £50? Castrol Edge is £40+ for 4 litres alone!

As this is the first diesel that I have ever serviced do you never have to change / clean glow plugs, as with a petrol you obviously change the spark plugs? Sorry of this is a REALLY stupid / simple question.

Last edited:

Zenith

I was wondering about glow plugs. Heard different views - some say leave em alone if no problem starting when cold but others say change em regularly.
However, everyone says watch they don't snap which gives me the jitters about trying.

I ended up buying an electric pump to suck out all the oil through the dipstick. It works a treat and avoids jacking the car etc and less messy.

My timing belt is due to be changed soon and that's out of my comfort zone so going to get garage to do it.
Was thinking of getting them to do water pump and fuel filter at same time. Anything else I need that I might have forgotten?

Cheers again. Top forum.

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
Bournemouth / North London
I'm looking at getting the PELA PL-6000 as the sump plug as started to round on mine (according to the garage that did the last service).

I know plugs can be a problem if they have been overtightened (which is the same as spark-plugs), but I am not sure.

I think I'm with you that the timing belt maybe too much (hassle) for me, but lets see how much cash I have next year when its next due and we'll see!

Zenith

Is the fuel filter easy enough, or should I get garage to do it same time as belt?

I got my pump from Amazon for about £20. Heard pela good but bit pricy.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Thanks for the guide its very hand as I'm about to service my Tdi 1.9 FR

How have you done the complete service for £50? Castrol Edge is £40+ for 4 litres alone!

As this is the first diesel that I have ever serviced do you never have to change / clean glow plugs, as with a petrol you obviously change the spark plugs? Sorry of this is a REALLY stupid / simple question.

You're right, the oil is/was the expensive bit, but I found and made a killing of a great offer on the eurocarparts website and it was like 50% off everything! Hence it was less than £50 smackers hehe - their fully synthetic triple qx oils are pretty good too, that can knock it down a little more.

In relation to the glow plugs... im not fully sure, to me its something to look into if it starts to go wrong.

I also considered doing it via one of the pumps but then there sometimes little bits that can collect at the bottom of the sump that it wouldn't pickup, you'd be surprised how long it takes still dropping away with the sump plug out!

Let gravity do the work!

SkimpyWan, if I were you I'd buy yourself a new sump plug from the garage, only a few quid, and carefully take the rounded one off and replace it. That way you can still carry on doing great service on the car :)

The timing belt is due on this car too... but I'm like you, that's outside my comfort zone. I'm sure I'm competent to do it but if anything goes tits up, the car aint moving anywhere!!

So itll go to the garage soon im sure hehe

Cheers
-Stu

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
A great DIY guide thank you.

Very useful and still relevant after nearly four years.

Going to start collecting all the parts as they come on offer, ready to do the jobs when the weather improves.

Bought my Altea a couple of months ago and the main 'stealer' did an oil change service so I plan to do the air filter and pollen filter first followed by the fuel filter.

Thanks again
falcon7

Granvile

Feb 18, 2014
Hi, Just looking into changing the fuel filter on my Seat Ibiza MK4 Fr Tdi... the o rings i need to replace are blue and black could someone let me know which way they need to go on the valve? eg blue at the top then black at the bottom ? I took mine off in a hurry and am unsure which way round they should be, or if someone could post a pic that would be great.

Cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise