Oil...What to use in your TDI

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I also have a 110bhp TDI & originally used 10w 40, however after much research (especially in relation to protecting the Turbo quickly on start up & getting the oil there quick) I went for a lower viscosity oil such as Mobil 1 0W 40.

However I am contemplating using the Halfords mentioned above (5W40 I think) has anyone used it.?.............it is for PD's but no reason not to use it in non PD !

Paul

Dragonseat

Me again...
Firstly the Landcruiser is going!! We are keeping the Leon 110TDi and I have bitten the bullet and gone and bought her indoors a new Ibiza Sportrider 1.9TDi.
Really pleased with the deal and hats off to Thomson and Thomson in Chepstow area for great service.
The Leon is having a cambelt service tomorrow including its rollers, new filters and fuel filter.
I have picked up FUCHS 5W-40 with correct spec. for £17/4litres from GSF - all the other bits are genuine VW Group stuff.

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Rarely on this forum a lot of people agree on Fuchs being good stuff.

Ive used it on two different ibizas and unlike other oils its still very smooth after about 5k, usually you can feel a difference.

Im wary of Castrol as they recycle old oil and take out inpurities apparently, also they won a court case to be able to state 'semi-synthetic' for oil that is refined mineral oil, thus stretching the definition.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
also they won a court case to be able to state 'semi-synthetic' for oil that is refined mineral oil, thus stretching the definition.

Cheats! Mind you, there are plenty other companies that put about 5% synthetic oil into 95% mineral oil and call it a semi-synthetic.

What a skank!

elnevio

Amsoil do a 505.01 (amongst other grades) 5w-40 fully-synthetic:

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/amsoil_uk.html

Note that their website hasn't been updated with the upgraded spec, but I have confirmed it with Don at Performance Oils Ltd (the sole UK distributor) that it meets 505.01, a fact which I can confirm from the 5L container sat in my garage!

Amsoil is pretty much the top dog over on the Club VR-4 (see http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/ ) forums for the Galant and Legnum VR-4s.

We cannot praise Amsoil enough!

Having reread my post - I would just like to confirm that I do not work for Amsoil nor am I on commission! It's just awesome stuff...

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Performance oils are the sole UK distributor? They're more expensive than my UK based supplier where I can buy a 5ltr carton of Amsoil 5w 40 European formula oil for £43.29 against Performance Oils wanting to charge me £49.99.

And I don't think that their oil is certified to VW505.01 specification. It's recommended (by Amsoil themselves) for use in VW engines requiring 505.01 oil, but has never been certified by VAG as 505.01 rated.

elnevio

Performance oils are the sole UK distributor? They're more expensive than my UK based supplier where I can buy a 5ltr carton of Amsoil 5w 40 European formula oil for £43.29 against Performance Oils wanting to charge me £49.99.

And I don't think that their oil is certified to VW505.01 specification. It's recommended (by Amsoil themselves) for use in VW engines requiring 505.01 oil, but has never been certified by VAG as 505.01 rated.

Tell him! He'll beat anyone else's price on the basis that he's the UK importer. Well, that's what he tells us on the CVR4 forums. AFAIK, other UK distributors actually get their supplies through him. Could be worth checking about the actual VAG certification too.

Don is a regular visitor over there (at CVR4), and he is in fact a paid-up member, and from our various and numerous dealings with him, he is a straight-up kinda guy. If there's a better product available, he's always been honest about it. For example, he stocks ATE Super Blue brake fluid, rather than Amsoil's own, because it's better!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
I don't believe in telling a supplier that he's overcharging. I prefer to buy cheaper from an honest trader. I even get free delivery offers occasionally. If Performance oils are the sole UK importer and he's supplying to my supplier, and my supplier can undercut him by 12% and still turn a healthy profit, then he's not really a "straight up kinda guy" in my book.

I wouldn't buy Amsoil anyway for the reason I stated before (505.01 certification versus 505.01 recommendation), but I know where I'd go if I did feel the need.

Edit: And I took the liberty of checking Amsoils website looking for evidence of VW505.01 certification. It's not there. Just their own recommendation same as ever.

Last edited:

elnevio

Oh well, can't argue with the facts I guess! I'd be interested to know who your supplier is. But I would hazard a guess at Opie Oils, and that you are quoting the member price?

CVR4 members get 15% off all Don's stuff - I assume other car clubs may have negotiated similar discount levels.

elnevio

It was the occasional free delivery offer that clicked for me - oilman posts on CVR4 too (although I note he's banned here?)! Opie Oil's service is brilliant though. I've had to return some stuff to them this week - absolutely no quibbles, really great customer service.

Performance Oils do free delivery if you're spending over £100, which owning a VR-4, happens a lot (atf, gear oil for transfer box and rear diff, AYC (active yaw control as found on the Evo (sorry if this is already well-known...)) fluids, and the 4,500 mile engine oil changes - it adds up)! So it depends on what you're getting I suppose, it is probably not far off evening itself out, once discounts are taken into account.

If you have someone you like and trust - stick with them, I say!

I only posted as there seemed to be very little mention (well, none, when I originally searched...) on Amsoil's Euro Formula oil. Kind of got a bit carried away... [B)]

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
My tuppence worth!

From the Ibiza handbook, for diesels it says use oil of VW spec:-

Diesel 505 00/505 01/506 01/507 00
Diesel PD 505 01/506 01/507 00 (ie definitely NOT 505 00)
Diesel PD 118kw (ie Cupra) 506 01/507 00 (ie definitely NOT 505 00/505 01)

So I think the conclusion is - if you don't know what type of diesel engine you have in the car, go for an oil meeting spec 506 01 or 507 00, and that should be safe. Mine has the 130 PD engine so I know what to look for.

However, the handbook also says cars fitted with a Particulate Filter can only use 507 00. Since it also says you can't use Biodiesel in cars with a DPF, I assumed this might apply to the Cupra (?). So if you still aren't sure, look for an oil matching 507 00.

On a separate issue, the Cupra engine needs 5 litres for an oil/filter change. The smaller ones (100/130 bhp) only require 4.3 litres. Either way you'll need a 5 litre container for the oil change, so not much point in only getting 4 litres (except for smaller 1.4 litre engine).

I think the conclusion of all this is - check the handbook if in doubt. Then find the correct oil (semi-synthetic or synthetic - the choice is yours, depending on how much you are prepared to pay).

Hope this helps .....

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Because they're an American company with a strong faithfull following, they apply their own warranty to their oil. If you can attribute your engine failure to their oil as the cause then they'll cover the repairs, and that's all they seem to think is necessary. However, if you read their warranty requirements here, then you'll see that there are quite the usual back door practices going on to allow them to avoid a claim if necessary. Little things such as missing a service oil change before even using Amsoil products. If you run over the service interval ever, then Amsoil won't cover you with their warranty.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
It's common practice to state "Suitable (or recommended) for use in engines requiring VW505.01" or suchlike, but you need VAG certification to say "Certified for use in engines requiring VW505.01" Just a clever way of increasing your sales footprint without actually spending the money on certification.

elnevio

Wonder why Amsoil dont have VW spec certification?

They have the money for the tests surely! No brainer! :s

I wonder if it's similar testing as required for the API certification - I know not.

But this is what the man himself said (so I guess you can take it or leave it!) on the CVR4 forums, when there was a thread about the level of ZDDP in oils, which seems to have some other content of relevance:

amsoil on www.clubvr4.com said:
This is a very very big subject that touches every area and aspect of the oil industry. I will answer it the best I can ,off the top of my head , so there may be an area or two that isn't perfect.
Amsoil unlike other oil companies is family owned and sets out to make the very best oil it is possible to make, this is how a small (relatively) business can survive and thrive. It will buy the very best base products from whoever has them and will change suppliers if there is better on offer elsewhere. This is a very critical starting point as it allows Amsoil the flexibility the Multi Nationals just cant have, they cannot , darent, go to their competitors for 'x' because what they have is not as good; would look good in the press I'm sure!
This leads to the API testing, which the Multi Nationals back for what will become clear in a minute. The individual tests cost about 1/3 million I am led to believe. So the bigger you are the easier this is to handle. The Muti Nationals generally sit on their laurals and generally using their own products, and the cheapest combinations necessary to meet a given standard, make the very same oil for long period irrespective of improvements that could be made. They are actually made to a price Amsoil makes continuous improvements, it has this thing about producing the very best, being top on each of the 10 recognised international tests. Every change would necessitate the retesting of the product for API purposes. (another 1/3 million not to mention the appx 6 months this would take) And of course some times updates happen faster than the API could test anyway. I could cynically suggest that if a supplier made a product 'unavaliable' to Amsoil then they would be forced to reapply for API testing with the 6 month lead in and cost, perhaps you can recognise that this could lead to a smaller business being totally controlled and to loose its freedom to go its own way.
This should now be painting a picture.
The ZDDP bit is very similar. Whilst it would be correct to say that ,all things being equal, the more ZDDP there is in your oil the more likely you are to have premature cat failure. But all things are not equal. The testing evaluates oil by amount of ZDDP with a safe maximim for cats survival using an 'average' oil as a base line. (I think this is correct rather than worse case senario) Amsoil turn around and say that there oil is not 'average' and that their tests show that their oils put out less ZDDP than others that have passed. They still however have too much ZDDP to pass the Muli Nationals backed API test. Amsoil follow by saying that its the oil being burned off that causes the ZDDP to be in the exhaust not the quantity in the oil. Amsoil has the lowest volitility of all oils so it follows that less is burned off and the emissions are therefore low, test our oils . The API just says Amsoil has too much ZDDP in it Full Stop.
So your choice really, do you want the very best oil that can be made, that has lots of the expensive ZDDP in it to prevent wear and protect your investment and which although expensive initially lassts longer and can actually pay for itself and save you money, wont harm your cats but doesn't have API certification because Amsoil have been at war with the API for years. or do you want the alternative. Your car your money your choice

The original thread on CVR4 is here, should you be at all interested.

Num|3G

It's common practice to state "Suitable (or recommended) for use in engines requiring VW505.01" or suchlike, but you need VAG certification to say "Certified for use in engines requiring VW505.01" Just a clever way of increasing your sales footprint without actually spending the money on certification.

you seem to go on about this VW505.01, might seem a bit silly but what is it? is it like a VAG stamp of approval? my toledo just gets the cheapest oil about which has some consistency to it.
i`ve run a lot of VW`s over the past 7 years now ranging aircooled classic to modern watercooled and, none of them have ever batted an eyelid at what oil was in them. I know my old vw type 3 i had many years ago, used to get run on £4.99 redstar oil, mainly because it would leak so much. my mk1 golf got 7.99 oil and 12.99 oil and again no difference to running, and my toledo just gets what evers left.
im to scared to do a service on my toledo, it hasnt been serviced in about 3 years and done 65k miles since last, just get little chance now, but being a vag engine it just keeps going and going.

B15_Donne

Right ive just been to Halfrauds and bought my self 1litre of Castrol Edge 5w-30 and before I go and stick into my 08 Ibiza FR TDi is this oil fine for my car? Sorry for the hassle.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
If it's the 507.00 rated stuff then it should be fine as it's backwards compatible with the 505.01 which your car needs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.