Sparkie's Mk1 LCR Black Edition

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Right,
I’m having the turbo reconditioned properly by Owen Developments in Oxford.
They have an amazing history and supply the turbos for Indy Lights Series in the US.
Along with supplying them for the British Touring Cars Championship.
They are going to strip it down 5 stage cleaning. Full inspection new seals,new improved bearings etc. Actuator checked and if found to be rubbish as mine is a new one will go on, so I’m happy I’ve been put in touch with them.

Christmas present to me and my car landed on the mat this weekend.
Eibach front adjustable 22mm ARB and an
Eibach rear fixed 25mm ARB.
TA Techix Upper Strut Brace
Hope to have these on by Christmas, along with a fully working turbo and the correct custom map from Badger5.
Then bring on the track day!

bega

Oct 13, 2016
Right,
They have an amazing history and supply the turbos for Indy Lights Series in the US.
They are going to strip it down 5 stage cleaning. Full inspection new seals,new improved bearings etc. Actuator checked and if found to be rubbish as mine is a new one will go on, so I’m happy I’ve been put in touch with them.

Hope to have these on by Christmas, along with a fully working turbo and the correct custom map from Badger5.
Hope you get it all sorted out well :)

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hope you get it all sorted out well :)

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Think it will be fine now.
It should come back from Owen’s better than the original I think with upgraded bearings etc. So I hope I’ll be smiling so much it hurts very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Right,

Front and rear arb will transform the handling of your car, only wish I did it sooner.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Front and rear arb will transform the handling of your car, only wish I did it sooner.

Can’t wait.
But I have to wait a week to get it on the ramps to have the turbo out so going to be 2-3 weeks before I get to try them out.
I also fitted an Upper Strut Brace last night so hope the final feel is quite noticeable.
Hopefully I will keep s little more tread on the road in the corners for a bit more grip too

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
2750560f88d934e9e784c382112fdf9b.jpg

Picture of the new TA Technix Strut Brace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sjt301084

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Also just purchased an upgraded adjustable drop link for the front ARB.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Ok I now eat my words. Thought all would be Rosey with the turbo.
Not so. Turns out to be a fake. Probably Chinese.
Not one original bit on it. Being sold as reconned Borg Warner, but it's brand new rubbish!
Not prepared to piss about any longer I've purchased a brand new BW ko4
Picked it up today, along with the one from the Christmas cracker!

Over the weekend I set about probably the best cosmetic modification available on the R.
Removal of the number plate holder and associated plastic. Fitting of a new larger grill. ( Dremel needed )
Here's a few photos.
I think it looks brilliant and also adds cold airflow to the FMIC.
11a522ad13f68456b8c0f3c8875ad300.jpg
5963243c7170f73b3b247c2a66c81b69.jpg

Lastly a picture with new Hako Wind Deflectors fitted.
4fb4cbcb8570a13e01b8f0a2173ff826.jpg

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Bad news about the turbo, front bumper looks odd with the number plate there, would do the same if I had the "open mouth" bumper.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Bad news about the turbo, front bumper looks odd with the number plate there, would do the same if I had the "open mouth" bumper.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah can’t wait to see it on the car.
Alex at B5 has found me a slot so off to have the custom map I should have had originally put on. All just in time for crimbo.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So a few days before Christmas it was back to Badger5 to map the car with the new turbo.
Great session.
After a couple of runs figures showed the fuel pump was struggling so popped in an upgraded version.
That led to the injectors not keeping up and basically opening fully at high revs.
So a set of Bosch 550 injectors went on too.
Back pressure seems my only issue now as the beginning of my down pipe is still stock.
I now have a new downpipe to slam on thanks to Alex at Badger5 selling me the one from his LCR.
That aside the car performed pretty well and pulled 270bhp and 256lbs of torque.
Bill said it was a decent platform and has potential!
I'm well chuffed.

The Eibach ARB's have changed the handling quite noticeably, front is tighter and stiffer.
Rear is more compliant and car is generally more planted on the road and gives a positive feel.

Bad points this month,
VVT Tensioner knackered.
Near side rear caliper started to stick. I have one on order and a set of new handbrake cables.

Seriously considering a LSD now. Just need to do some research to find a good company to do the fitting.

Col Max Pyat

Dec 31, 2017
Nice car, and great work on the upgrades (and commitment to doing it right).
One very trivial noob question...
Near side rear caliper started to stick. I have one on order and a set of new handbrake cables.
How did you notice that?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Nice car, and great work on the upgrades (and commitment to doing it right).

One very trivial noob question...

How did you notice that?

Thanks bud,
Yeah I’m so pleased with how it’s turned out.
Bit of a money pit, but worth it.

So the caliper is a pretty common fault with this caliper across Audi vw.
Easiest way to detect there’s a problem is when pulling away with low revs, having just released the hand brake, sometimes you feel it’s bound on the disc and it tries to hold the car back. For a split second.
Then there’s a tiny clunk as it releases.

Secondly you can hear it scraping on the disc occasionally when you come off the brakes while still rolling.
( First sign for me this time. )

Third, with the car on ramp you can visually see at the back of the caliper, where hand brake cable comes to, it won’t release fully.
Also when wheels off ground you can hear and feel it when turning the wheel by hand.
Any two of these would most likely mean the caliper is on the way out tbh.
In addition with mine it looks like the last owner kept winding the hand brake cable tighter and tighter, every time the hand brake became weaker. Which just pulls one cable more than the other.
Stretched cables and over stressing everything hasn’t helped.
Why I’m changing the cables too.
Hope that helps.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Wow, I know these are a money pit as spent more on mine than the original cost but you've pushed the boat out and some! Feel for you with your troubles. Great Readers Rides!

My only major issue in last two years has been needed to replace brake master servo after knackering the seals by brake bleeding wrong (so self-inflicted). Massive ball ache to change one of these (had to do myself as no-one would attempt it, only 7 hours to change!).

I too recently had the sticking rear calliper, so second that. How many door locks you had to change :whistle:

Love your front grill, what did you use / how did you make that? as i'm needing the same sometime in the future as Father Xmas brought my car an Airtec FMIC :D .

Also what FMIC have you got?

Trev.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Wow, I know these are a money pit as spent more on mine than the original cost but you've pushed the boat out and some! Feel for you with your troubles. Great Readers Rides!

Yes I’ve dropped a fair few squid on it.
I plan on keeping it though, as long as I don’t bend it any time soon.
Mad thing is you get in so deep, if you get a problem you can’t really stop spending until it’s sorted.

Crazy thing is I now want a LSD. Unlock it’s real cornering capabilities.

My only major issue in last two years has been needed to replace brake master servo after knackering the seals by brake bleeding wrong (so self-inflicted). Massive ball ache to change one of these (had to do myself as no-one would attempt it, only 7 hours to change!).

That sounds like fun I don’t need!

I too recently had the sticking rear calliper, so second that. How many door locks you had to change :

Ha a couple over the years.

Love your front grill, what did you use / how did you make that?

The grill from flea bay, 19 quid.
I used a dremel grinding bit on the melted clips on back of bumper. Then cut away all plastic and excess with dremel and plastic cutting but.
Just masked with tape so I had a good line to follow. It’s obvious where to mask and cut once you start.
Once off, use old grill to line up on the new grill. Over cut by an inch all round.
Fix with ties and screws.
I’ve chosen to have the ties showing so kept it neat.
Job done.

One Father Xmas brought my car an Airtec FMIC :D .
Good old Santa.

Also what FMIC have you got?
I have a Toyo Sport cooler. Good to about 450 / 500 Brake I believe.

Trev.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
The LSD would be nice, fancied one for awhile but decided on paying for even better track only tyres (R888R's) first, as a cheaper option, keeping traction out of the corners can be a struggle even in third at certain circuits, and if both wheels are spinning an LSD ain't gonna do much.

Also LSD's start expensive, then have to be fitted, my mechanic friend said don't bother, just buy a gearbox with one in, so much easier.

Might keep my eye out for one this year or next.

I'd say with your spec. already, get on track before spending on big budget items like an LSD.

cheers

Trev.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
The LSD would be nice, fancied one for awhile but decided on paying for even better track only tyres (R888R's) first, as a cheaper option, keeping traction out of the corners can be a struggle even in third at certain circuits, and if both wheels are spinning an LSD ain't gonna do much.

Also LSD's start expensive, then have to be fitted, my mechanic friend said don't bother, just buy a gearbox with one in, so much easier.

Might keep my eye out for one this year or next.

I'd say with your spec. already, get on track before spending on big budget items like an LSD.

cheers

Trev.

That’s funny.
I’ve just been chatting with a pal who wants to come with me in his Honda.
I just said I’d like to run the car with some decent tyres ( AD 08R or such )and see how it goes for a season.
Then take a view if going hybrid turbo, rods and pistons etc.
Then probably worth the layout.
But that’s all way off in the future dream world.
Reality bites. Stick on good rubber and have a blast.
New VVT tensioner isn’t going to be a light bill!

LCR33

Aug 18, 2014
In a house
I have a wavetrack diff and sport contact 5 tyres. In the dry Bill's comment, was has this got 4 wheel drive. It sticks really well.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.