Brummy's MkII Golf...Retro fun...

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Looking good Brummy. Have a soft spot for mk2's as well, not more than Ibiza's since I own mine but still.

I believe the (now) ex of my sister had a mk2 Golf in the same color(or maybe darker blue?, can't remember) when I was like 9 years old(only 10 years ago...)... Can clearly remember how it didn't have seatbelts in the back and was usually blowing out thick blue smoke cause the head gasket went like 2 times lol, but even when I was that young I thought it was a super cool car :p

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Specially for OJ, the fleet parked out in the close outside, My Mk4, laddos Bora the Goof and the Mk2 :D

28qxhjm.jpg

j5yoty.jpg

Last edited:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
definetely a head turner even before i stuck the bright orange mims on yesterday! , people do tend to smile as you drive by, dont they! thinking i may either go a more mundane with the mims or even get rid.. being 7 wide and eT13, ive had to actually raise the car to stop it tearing at the back tyres

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
on Mims at mo Bhaji-San.. but there might be more pics of cooike goodness come the weekend .. getting to much scrubbage on the mims so have had to raise the back some.. not good.. hope to get something sorted soon, been scouring forums/internettings/bay etc loking for suitable rimmage

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
on Mims at mo Bhaji-San.. but there might be more pics of cooike goodness come the weekend .. getting to much scrubbage on the mims so have had to raise the back some.. not good.. hope to get something sorted soon, been scouring forums/internettings/bay etc loking for suitable rimmage

Cut out the arch john, good thing about the mk2's, the arch plastics cover the metal arches, why people run stupid width on them, but cut lip off and roll rest back, talk to Haris, he did the same, and was running 9.5J Compomotive Dage splits (Fuch splits :love: )

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Dont really wanna start tearing into stuff yet Suj, just want to get some decent rimmage on, sit it reasonably well and enjoy the rest of the year..then over winter start hoarding and then see what/where next year brings.
:)

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Love it Brummy, pity the tires aren't a bit wider! :D Only thing I don't fancy is the black plastic around the rear window though, is that original? If it is it kinda seems like they wanted to modernise the Mk1 Golf GTI black part around the rear window...

Also, if I may give you an idea, a mate of mine on some other forum has these wheels under his mk2:
cimg0245.jpg

Looks pretty cool if you ask me! :) But I love the Cookie monster as well, it's blue as well so :D

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
the black surround is a 'votex' part apparantly was dealer fitted as the old chap that owned it first was miffed that the back window was always filthy . its been on there for almost twenty years, but it may come off, if i can get it off without ruining paintwork.

love the banded steels but they go for such silly money!

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Ah but that's the thing, just get a set done, way cheaper than buying a set! I had mine banded and blasted for 70 pounds... Just buy a set of old steel wheels/just the rims(they go for like, 35 pounds(40 euros) without tires here, I think the cheapest real VW ones I saw were 43pounds(50 euros)), get them banded cheap(the dude that did mine did them during evening hours, after work) and your done.

And then paint them yourself, I used hammerite on mine and imho it looks decent, no need to pay crazy money for a done set, it's not needed, seriously. Gotta admit the welds on mine are slightly visible/not super smooth on the outside, but unless you look at it up close(very close) you won't notice at all.

Hope you can get the votex thingy off, it looks really weird to me :p, then again, I haven't ever seen it before so can't really judge... Might look epic if it were color coded though...

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
One for the 'ideas' notepad, methinks.. you know what im like, i say im not going to do too much, but ill prolly get the usual ideas floating around in the long dark winter nights and come next spring, the Goof my be entirely different

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Scubbage already on the stretchies, Mr Bhaji-San.. Et stands at 8 at mo so need the stretchies on.
looks like I may have to either source/settle on some alloys and stop buying others, or get some archwork done at some stage.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Brum, idea for the 'votex' thing. Gloss black/back2black it. Think if it didnt look faded, it might match a bit better. Just before you go ripping it if :whistle: loves the cookies, and tbh, im loving the stance. Any more would look...wrong with the wheel combo...imo of course ;) sure you know whats best for her :)