rubbish radio reception here is why !

Diyhell

Aug 11, 2013
Yep - it was actually loose already (thought this originally was the problem) so easy to remove. Some say you can't because of some anti-theft feature so I'd check yours first.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Good guide, thank you, we have the exact same problem on our '60 plate'. SEAT. SEAT couldn't find a prob when it was in for last service but is getting gradually worse.

clutha

Well it looks as though I may have joined the dodgy radio reception club.

In the last week or so the reception has been getting worse and at a few miles from home where we used to get reduced reception we have lost it totally on some stations.

As soon as it stops raining I'll get the panel off and check it.

I've also noticed on my recently bought 16 year old campervan, (Ford Freda), the reception is much better than the Seat.

Is this 'unusual' aerial set up the same on VW's?

Garnaby

Sep 25, 2012
Blackpool
I know its not 100% related but iv'e just fitted my Alpine head unit and the aerial adapter that came with the facia has a blue wire attached to to which need's connected up to the blue wire on the ISO Harness! I treied without first and the signal was rubbish! But If my signal gets bad ill check the Ariel base!

Really useful to know thanks allot for sharing!

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
it seems the water sneaks in and causes the problem , we had a polo of a similar age and the base of the antenna cracked too , so it may be a vw wide problem affecting models made in spain ?

tbh my fm is still rubbish i am tempted to put a new cable all the way thru the car when the weather gets better

if you fit a replacement HU you must have the adaptor supply thingy it sends 12 up to the amplifier in the base of the antenna

MM

clutha

2 or 3 days ago I was out in the finest rain I've seen in years, the radio had no reception!

On my journey home it was dry and I gave the arial a teak to check it was tight. The difference in reception was amazing.

I hope to get in to a main dealer tomorrow to order the bits.

I'd really like a fin type but from what's been said on here I'll maybe go for oe.

clutha

All done, some horror pics:(

Base1_zps26a66d8d.jpg

Base2_zps69ce007d.jpg

I've put two pics in of the base, you might be able to see the thin strip that contacts against the bottom of the mast. It is pretty dirty and might be a factor in the poor reception. Moving the mast up and down might clean it a bit. Just a thought for a temporary fix.

Clips_zpse12b32b0.jpg

Big bummer with the clips. Mine snapped immediately I tried to push roof liner down. Very long nose pliers would be required to squeeze in two 'branches'
Liner is currently held up with velcro:happy:

Reception seems 100%.

New unit looks identical to old one, cost £23.

Water proof grease applied to possible water entry joint.

Last edited by a moderator:

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Hi Mac Music, I have just replaced my Seat Media System 2.1 with an A-Sure double din Multi-Media Player with igo Primo sat nav(free updates), bluetooth, and DVD player for the monitor at the rear of my 2012 Freetrack. Everything works ok including the steering wheel controls, touch screen, usb connection, DVD player, reversing camera and Seat Logo on screen in fact it was just plug and play for under £300 and I am well pleased with the exception of the radio reception. I have fitted a booster in line with the co-ax and connected the blue wire (12v) from the harness to the booster but there is little or no improvement. You talk about an adaptor to send a 12v signal to the base of the aerial. Can you tell me where you get this adaptor from and how to fit it? Any advice would be appreciated. aggie

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Aggie the " booster " i speak of is the 12v adapter that sends 12v up the coax to the aerial , if that is working then odds on the aerial itself is water damaged so it might be worth swapping that for a new one , a seat one would be a straight swap the Fin one i have is ok but reception is not great but i tend to use dab ( screen mount aerial could be better ) or ipod , however i plan to replace the roof one with a combi dab fm one at some point after i get the passenger window regulator fixed

MM

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Thanks mac music for the info. Is the 12v adaptor something that has to bought in and if so where do you connect it. I understand that after market units dont send 12 volts to the aerial, do you know if this is correct. Therefore, would a separate 12v supply to the base unit on the aerial do the trick? cheers aggie

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Thanks mac music for the info. Is the 12v adaptor something that has to bought in and if so where do you connect it. I understand that after market units dont send 12 volts to the aerial, do you know if this is correct. Therefore, would a separate 12v supply to the base unit on the aerial do the trick? cheers aggie

this is the sort of thing you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-136-S...odel:Altea|Cars+Year:2012&hash=item5d397c6a74 but do check its the right one ! as that was a quick grab off fleabay

paamaa

Apr 18, 2014
Thanks, all fixed, but at a cost!

Thanks for the advice in this thread. I've replaced the base and I now have radio reception back again.

Though a word of warning when I phoned Seat Parts quoting my reg they said I had a premium base, which came in it at over £100. I tried a few dealers with the same result so eventually I purchased it. It came with three cable connections and appears to include a GPS antenna. When I took the head lining down I found I only had one connection so I could have got away standard base...

Standard base part no. : 1P0035501A
Premium base part no. : 5P0035501B

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Hi Mac Music, I fitted the 12volt adaptor and made sure it had a 12volt connection. But, I have interference when the engine is running and good reception when its off and on the accessory part of the ignition. Have you any idea's as it's driving me mad. Thanking you in anticipation. aggie

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.