Buzzy Altea Speakers and ICE upgrade

KD

I have now changed the speakers in the front doors. Much better!

Would it be even better, if I also changed them in the rear doors? Its a VAN (No backseats but high floor)

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
I have now changed the speakers in the front doors. Much better!

Would it be even better, if I also changed them in the rear doors? Its a VAN (No backseats but high floor)

the rears are really not ment to be heard that much , but i found that with a better set in i got more mid bass than the ones kindly provided by seat

Temporary Noble

Changed all 4 and cut the adapters to take out the tweeters, much better now with quality Blaupunkt 3 way speakers installed. Also noticed that iPod sounds best with Aux Vol set to 1 and main volume turned up rather than boosting with the aux vol setting on the menu.

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
Hi Guys
I just wanted to hear what speakers are people using these days as replacements

Any advice would be great

BTW if I cut out the link to the tweeters will it through any vagcom errors

Cheers
Dai O

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
the infintys i have in the back door sound pretty goo & you can angle the tweeter up as well , cutting the tweeter in the door off did not affect the canbus in my car , as it is now all the speakers are driven from amps , rather than the headunit , connected thru the plug at the back of the headunit and all seems fine

famous last words ....

Tell

Staff member
As the originator of this thread and published mod I'm glad its all going well :) . My Infinity speakers are as good as they were nine years ago when I put them in. Assuming I buy the SUV when its finally built I'll probably be trading my Altea in less the speakers since I suspect Seat will use the same old paper speakers. Must remember to ask to take the speaker grill off in the test drive to check the speakers :) .

roodie

Mar 30, 2014
:help: Hi all first post and all im sorry if it has been covered i just couldn't find it.

i have a few questions i have looked over MANY threads for the speaker upgrade and im not sure if im just being stupid or what but my speakers in the front seem different sizes to ones other have had etc. ive taken images or everything to help you try and understand me.

I will be fitting some Vibe Blackair6 6.5" Coaxial 2 Way as long as they fit, Will i need the SAK-3103, all the guides i see are on older Models and mine is a 2013 Model (Seat Altea XL 1.6 Eco 8 Speakers).

Help would be VERY grateful!!

h*tp://i59.tinypic.com/335bjo5.jpg
h*tp://i59.tinypic.com/s4nonb.jpg
h*tp://i62.tinypic.com/dr2om9.jpg
h*tp://i60.tinypic.com/35bv3no.jpg
h*tp://i61.tinypic.com/2zfqtyr.jpg

Mattt

Tell

Staff member
Well in the standard Altea 2004 model all speakers were the same size. May be on the XL 8 speakers they are not. Will pass on the rest. We need an XL owner with similar. You would expect the fronts perhaps to be the same size as the standard Altea I guess. Better not conjecture anymore on this.

As far as surround is concerned the manufactures speakers come in a moulded unit that fits. The speaker car kits for which I cut a Golf IV to fit at the time (brother did) just allows you to fit standard speakers in place of the manufactures purpose design but cheap quality moulded units. They were paper membrane ones in the 2004 Alteas.

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
by looks it looks the same i have a " short " altea you will have to cut the front flange off the sak 3103 so the grill fits back on

have alook thru my messin about thread might be of some help

mm

Tell

Staff member
Well I take the credit on finding the audio part, nobody had done it then and I said to my brother who was still alive then I need this hacked down so he obliged. Then there was another guy, it will all be documented here told me how to get rid of the, tweeters buy cutting the loop through wire. It was all quite elligent that the speaker fitment kit contained the lead for snipping.

Now I'm musing on how to do it with the SUV since one expects in two years time the speakers fitted to it will be rubbish but it will equally have a good headend. Will the speakers factory fitted be the same dimensions and you just do the same. It will be worth keeping the Altea before selling it on to check out :). I may even be tempted just to move the speakers over.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
We have two Alteas. One 2009 car and a 2014 one. The audio equipment in the 2014 car is absolutely superb, by any standard. Sharp treble reproduction, decent midrange and punchy bass. The 2009's audio fit is very poor in comparison.

I think you might be surprised by the quality of the newer audio kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
The problem with the 2004 speakers and beyond was that the membrane was made out of paper
Like a 1960s radio I use to take about in the 60s. So you could see that they were cheap trash rather than polymer modern based speakers. There is nothing wrong with the headend just rubbish speakers fitted at that time. It would be interesting to take the covers off the speakers in the two cars and study the speakers. Whether the new fitted speakers are no longer paper for starters.

It is bothering me slightly since I've sold myself an upgrade path to the Seat SUV for 2016 and don't fancy taking out all the speakers and doing the mod again. Its the best sound I've had from all my long running cars. I might just buy the top of the range and hope like the Q3 its fitted with superior Bose speakers - you wouldn't want to change them. Failing go back to this thread or buy a Q3 :). Problem with Q3s design cycle is too fast, suspect a Seat SUV like the 2004 Altea won't get face lifted too often.

MarkTDI

Feb 19, 2018
East Yorkshire
Bumping up this old thread.

I have a 2010 Altea XL SE with the standard speakers and they sound terrible.

It is an old car but I will be keeping it for another year and doing a lot of motorway driving so will upgrade the speakers.

I cant find infinity 6.5" 165mm speakers with adjustable tweeter angle,

Does anyone have any part numbers or links to suitable speakers with adjustable tweeter angle.

Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023
Hey there, I've bought a component set of speakers (alpine spg-17cs) I was wondering how I need to wire the factory plug to the crossover?

-Lasse
Pfa
8f384e865917c260e1cca77413e2590e.jpg

Tell

Staff member
Hey there, I've bought a component set of speakers (alpine spg-17cs) I was wondering how I need to wire the factory plug to the crossover?

-Lasse
Pfa
8f384e865917c260e1cca77413e2590e.jpg
It's 14 years ago since I did mine but fairly simple. The adaptor kit one bought came with a plug so you just snipped the cable in the lead you bought which plugged in. You just need to silence the cars tweeter. No power to that. The lead from the amp is, as is, the crossover for the tweeter is out of sight. The mid range doesn't see the tweeters crossover from memory, so the power from the amp just goes into your new speaker crossover. I recall I did say which colour wire to snip... if the links still work. Will check other than that you'd have to work it out. I'm assuming they didn't change the Ateca speaker wiring from 2004.

Going over back posts since I think my key one is lost. This from Loadswine

》》
Third pic shows autoleads plug and connections for new speaker with the crossover, and also the autoleads sak 3103 speaker adaptor in place after some surgery to remove the flange. I ended up just cutting the No. 2 lead to disable the existing tweeter.
《《

It's lead 2... so we seek out the sak 3103 speaker adaptor pdf... basically as I recall the tweeter is wired in parallel so snipping that link in the lead supplied in the kit stops the power going up to it on one side.

Try digging around in the links but I reckon Paul's post has gone and Loadswine pictures aren't on the photo server so it's pin 2 from what he said above. You might be able to do it without the lead or buy that kit for the lead. Then it's just pull out, plug in and snip from memory. Suspect the pins are numbered on the plug or leaflet in the box. You might be able to use the adaptor mount but depends on your speaker. The adaptor fits flush. It was my birthday, brother gave me a hacksaw, so I got him to trim off the bit 🤣.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Just to add to my post those speaker kits are still sold but whether yours fit into them or alternatives mention on the thread. The kit look like this:

20230109_083236.png

So the cut wire is on one of those loops. Basically the factory fitted speaker takes that loom plug that comes into it. There is no crossover in it just feeds a connection out that is then passed up to the tweeter. In the adaption kit they sold for VWs for other speakers that cross wiring to loop back in to the loom is shown above. Those red and black leads go into your own crossover in your case. To silence the built in speaker without digging the tweeter out you just snipped the loop. Reckon we are looking at the one by the bottom wire. 2 being the next one down. In your case you are digging the trim out... or the other end.

The Infinity speakers contained the built in tweet which is front mounted above the bass / mid range so the desire was to knock that one out. Think the kit you are installing has seperate tweeters so your leads you need to go into your crossover from the amp are two two end point leads. The inner leads feed the built in tweeter.

Screenshot_20230109-085530.png

As I said this was years ago... probably longer ago than what I said. To find the one to disconnect I reckon I touched an ohm meter on it and listened for a click from the tweeter. At that stage the mid range / base speaker was unplugged. Looking at that socket in the photo above it looks like the two extreme ends of the plug connections are the ones that go forward. The inner ones feed the built in tweeter. The loom splits further up in the car to do that. You will I suspect be putting your own cable in for your tweeters from your crossover.

Trust this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023
Just to add to my post those speaker kits are still sold but whether yours fit into them or alternatives mention on the thread. The kit look like this:

View attachment 35090
So the cut wire is on one of those loops. Basically the factory fitted speaker takes that loom plug that comes into it. There is no crossover in it just feeds a connection out that is then passed up to the tweeter. In the adaption kit they sold for VWs for other speakers that cross wiring to loop back in to the loom is shown above. Those red and black leads go into your own crossover in your case. To silence the built in speaker without digging the tweeter out you just snipped the loop. Reckon we are looking at the one by the bottom wire. 2 being the next one down. In your case you are digging the trim out... or the other end.

The Infinity speakers contained the built in tweet which is front mounted above the bass / mid range so the desire was to knock that one out. Think the kit you are installing has seperate tweeters so your leads you need to go into your crossover from the amp are two two end point leads. The inner leads feed the built in tweeter.

View attachment 35091

As I said this was years ago... probably longer ago than what I said. To find the one to disconnect I reckon I touched an ohm meter on it and listened for a click from the tweeter. At that stage the mid range / base speaker was unplugged. Looking at that socket in the photo above it looks like the two extreme ends of the plug connections are the ones that go forward. The inner ones feed the built in tweeter. The loom splits further up in the car to do that. You will I suspect be putting your own cable in for your tweeters from your crossover.

Trust this helps.
So as I understand if I buy the kit you mentioned I will only need to cut the black and red loops, and then feed the two outer cables to the crossover?
My English isn't that good
Correct me if im wrong

Sendt fra min LE2113 med Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
So as I understand if I buy the kit you mentioned I will only need to cut the black and red loops, and then feed the two outer cables to the crossover?
My English isn't that good
Correct me if im wrong

Sendt fra min LE2113 med Tapatalk
It was just the cable to pin 2 but if you are taking out the factory tweeter it's disconnected either way. That socket connects behind the mid / bass speaker down the bottom. Goes in what you pull out of the factory fitted mid / bass speaker. Not sure whether you would able to use the plastic mount or not. You got the depth of the speaker to consider. Leave that one to you.

Anyhow that's how we were doing it at the time. The end of the tweeter lead also gives you the connection for your crossover. Don't reckon there is any crossover outside the speakers.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.