Tyre size query - online results vs fitted

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
Update:-

Last week I sent this email to Seat

Hi, I require 2 front tyres on my 2012 Seat Exeo and on investigation the Seat website and Seat dealers identify the correct tyre size to be 18" 225 40.

Currently on the vehicle that I purchased earlier on in the year from Listers in Worcester under the Approved used car scheme it appears that they supplied me a vehicle with 18" 225 '45' all round. Therefore:-

1. I am currently in a position that my car speedo is reading lower than the speed I am actually travelling, thus possibly a speeding fine could result.

2. The miles travelled are not correct thus service intervals could be out and the selling of the car would not depict a true mileage of the vehicle.

3. The car that was sold to me has covered additional mileage than that was advertised and sold to me.

4. If I was to have an accident I may not be insured the tyres on the vehicle are not the size that Seat recommends are fitted. As we all know Insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying for a claim.

Therefore I feel that this oversight goes against your Seat approved used cars guarantee. I am now left with a car that requires 4 tyres rather than 2.

From your website you state:-.

SEAT APPROVED USED CARS

"Peace of mind is guaranteed with SEAT’s Approved Used Car Programme. All Approved vehicles are prepared to the highest standards by skilled SEAT trained technicians using only genuine SEAT parts.

Buying a used car could be one of the biggest purchases you make, and can be quite a daunting task. With the SEAT Approved Used Car Programme it takes that worry away, providing you with confidence, reassurance and a package of outstanding benefits.

With SEAT offering one of the best manufacturer-supported and award winning used car programmes available, your SEAT Approved Used Car dealer is undoubtedly the best place to buy your next quality used SEAT."

I await your reply

Got a phone call earlier from SEAT customer services admitting that the car should of never been supplied fitted with those tyres (bonus :)) and after discussing the situation further with myself will be approaching Listers Worcs with their comments etc. Im hoping that the min I will get out of it is a set of rear tyres fitted for free as I purchased the car knowing that the 2 fronts were close to the limit and needed replacing. But a free service for my troubles wouldnt go a miss either :D

Will keep you posted....

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Good luck with the response from Listers. Sounds like you should be getting a full set of tyres fitted for the inconvience and for them to save their reputational damage - obvious QC issue here which could have been prevented with the right procedures.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
The sounds more positive! Best not to let these dealers get away with this sort of thing, they will continue to do it if they are not pulled up for it!

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
Update:-

SEAT UK chased Listers with my concern and Listers have contacted me to discuss the issue. We have agreed the following:-

1. I will supply 4 tyres of the correct size.

2. They will reimburse me for 2 of the tyres as I knew that the front 2 would need replacing within 8K miles when I purchased the car.

3. They will fit the 4 new tyres of the correct size at their cost

I am still pushing for a 50,000 mile service for my vehicle as a good will gesture due to the disruption, stress and the additional 80mile round trip I have to make to have the tyres replaced.

I added the following to the final email to push for the service:-

Remembering this is all due to Listers oversight and the peace of mind guaranteed from SEAT approved used cars statement was definitely not met…

From SEAT website:-.

SEAT APPROVED USED CARS

"Peace of mind is guaranteed with SEAT’s Approved Used Car Programme. All Approved vehicles are prepared to the highest standards by skilled SEAT trained technicians using only genuine SEAT parts.

Buying a used car could be one of the biggest purchases you make, and can be quite a daunting task. With the SEAT Approved Used Car Programme it takes that worry away, providing you with confidence, reassurance and a package of outstanding benefits.

With SEAT offering one of the best manufacturer-supported and award winning used car programmes available, your SEAT Approved Used Car dealer is undoubtedly the best place to buy your next quality used SEAT."

So far so good and fingers crossed for the good will guesture :)

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
Update.

Friday I had all 4 tyres fitted by Listers, all I paid for was the supply of 2 tyres as Listers fitted all 4 of them for free.
Haggled for a free service but they only agreed to discount the next service.

They also washed the car so now got a clean car with 4 new tyres fitted and a discounted next service for the price of supplying 2 new tyres

So I'm now a happy chap:clap:

Last edited:

Bbeettaa

Feb 20, 2012
Really much difference in 40 or 45 tyre width? I'm currently running 45 all round.

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
I don't think you will notice the difference, though the ride is very slightly firmer which I noted after the change but don't notie now.

TBH if I hadn't just purchased the car from SEAT I prob would of stuck with 45 until I needed to replace all 4 and then switched to the correct size which is 40. Though best check with your insurance company for peace of mind and be aware your MPH reading is out by approx. 2% so watch those average speed cameras.

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Its interesting what you say about the MPH reading being slightly out - Im on 45's all round and I have noticed the MPH reading on my speedo is a few MPH higher than on my GPS enabled dashcam and those flashing speed signs that measure your speed. So when Im driving with the speedo dead on 30, its registering 28 on both the road signs and my GPS.

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
Its interesting what you say about the MPH reading being slightly out - Im on 45's all round and I have noticed the MPH reading on my speedo is a few MPH higher than on my GPS enabled dashcam and those flashing speed signs that measure your speed. So when Im driving with the speedo dead on 30, its registering 28 on both the road signs and my GPS.

According to the below link it should be the other way round

http://tire-size-conversion.com/speedometer-calibration/

I put the 40 as the original and the 45 as the new...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.