How to change High beam light bulbs

t-"RACY"

Hi all,

As a FR Tdi 170 "Newbie" owner, my husband has just attempted to change the standard headlights on my FR for the philips "Blue Vision" type. He managed to change the dipped beam and side lights but said the full beams were extremely difficult to change in situ.

His exact words were -; "You need the hands of a bl***y tree frog to change the high beam bulbs on that car".:lol:

As it appears some of you fellow Leon Mk 2 owners have completed a headlight bulb change previously, would anyone be so kind as to posting some instructions on how to change the high beam bulbs to save my husband from further stress and me from the possibility of a potential costly visit to the dealers.

Thanx

Tracy

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
Tracy

It can be done; small hands are an advantage. I did mine a few months a go and if I remember correctly it is basically the same as changing the dipped units, it took me about 1/2 hour and left me with scraped and scratched knuckles.

Paul

t-"RACY"

Thanx for all the replies.

I wonder how the dealers get around this obstacle? do they take out the headlights?

I am pretty certain that the dealer techies will have come across the same problems as us owners, i.e. impractical access points.:confused:

My hubby said the access is tight but the the hardest obstacle is the fact that you cannot visually see the point of fitment! anyhow he said he will go to the local Seat dealer to "Pick" their brains for the easiest way of changing the high beam light bulbs.

If anyone else has any knowledge of how to change the high beam light bulbs on a Leon FR Tdi 170 It would be interesting how you managed this task without breaking anything or losing the skin of your hands,fingers and wrists:)

Is their not any Seat Techies amongst us members who can help us out?

I am pretty sure their is now and potentially in the near future a great number of owners who are considering fitting replacement headlight bulbs to their FR's and Cupra's.

Tracy

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
I know this is a very old post but I am having the same problem with my Leon FR TDI 170 and not found a solution using the search. Changing dipped beam was a doddle, but I cannot remove the full beam bulbs. It doesnt help not being able to see them, how are they held in place? I couldnt feel a clip and tried pulling at them pretty hard but no luck. Access isnt too big a problem, I can get my hand right inside but I just dont know how they come out.

Any help would be great...

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
Just went back out and used my phone to take a pic of the back of the bulb to see how it was held in. Was just a clip like the ones for the dipped beams and easy to change.

MrTA

I've just changed my front dipped headlights and sidelights without too many issues. (Sidelights were a bit fiddly but easy once you've done one!) I also hope to change my highbeams (H1) but I might hold off until it stops snowing, (no garage).

for the sidelights (just below the highbeam) I took the cover off, grabbed my phone and took a quick picture to have a look at what I'd be jamming my hand into. it helped identify where the wires were and also helped me identify the fact there is a clip (press two sides to release) on the sidelight bulb holder!

I see the highbeam has a clip similar to the dipped beam, this poses a good challenge to do it blind.

next challenge after this is the fogs...

FR_Flavoured

Tip on the sidelights...

It's practically impossible to "see" what you are doing visually, right in the corner there.
But if you watch from the front, throught the light unit, and you'll see if the sidelight 'wobbles' as you locate the correct lead, to the bulb holder, with your hand rooting around in the corner...

When re-fitting, fit the new 501 bulb into the holder, THEN switch ON your sidelights. ;)
Look through the front of the light unit, and you will see the lit up 501 sidelight, and it makes it so much easier to locate it, as you see the light, and can poke it into the right place, through the hole, where it fits in place.

Main bulbs...

You pull off the electric block connector first. Then release the Bulb from the holder, by pushing and releasing the metal clip that holds the bulb. Then it will just drop out.
Fit the new bulb into the space, and secure it in with the metal clip, then push the electric connector back onto the back of the light connectors, job done.

At first, I was trying to pull out the Bulb still connected to the electric connector, THROUGH the metal clip, thinking that was the way it was supposed to come out! SO WRONG! :headhurt:

(the bulbs only go in one way, as there is a "keyway" around the edge of the metal bulb casing).

swerver

Aug 18, 2003
scotland
Visit site
I just changed my headlight bulbs (dipped) and now they only light up the road just in front of the car. I have checked the headlight adjuster beside the steering wheel and that is at 0 as it should be. I've taken them out and turned them 180' but still no joy. Could I have moved something when taken them out???
I'll put the standard bulbs back in and see if that makes a difference!!

This is doing my head in!

Cheers.

I just changed my headlight bulbs (dipped) and now they only light up the road just in front of the car.
They only fit (properly) one way round. The bulb housing metal bit should have a flat edge along one side with a little metal tab on it. You just need to make sure it's aligned perfectly so that the metal tab bit should 'slot in' to the bulb holder - before you lock in the bulb with the little spring clip thingey. If you get it right, the bulb will sit flush to the holder and your normal beam pattern should be restored. :)

swerver

Aug 18, 2003
scotland
Visit site
Right I've checked the bulbs and I've put the originals back in to see if that makes a difference. Does the reflector bit that the bulb sit in sit perfectly horizontal??
Because mine looks as if it's on the piss a little bit.

Cheers.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise