Cheap HID's

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
I'm just wondering, is a garage gonna happily align them for me even though they are "illegal"? How much does the alignment cost?

Mig

I did a real simple check with mine - in that before I started I parked the car up, in front of a wall (a good few feet back, but so I could clearly see the beam pattern). I then used masking tape on the wall where the top of the dipped beam was.
I then fitted my HIDs and rechecked (without moving car!!) that beam was no higher. Mine wasnt, so all's well.

That night got a mate of mine to drive in front of me and she confirmed lights looked bright, but no dazzle in her mirror.

Cost = £0.01 (for 12" of masking tape ;-)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
It's still worth getting an alignment check done though Wheely, as although the height might not have changed, there is still a chance that the beam pattern itself is out and is scattering light around the road.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
I'm just wondering, is a garage gonna happily align them for me even though they are "illegal"? How much does the alignment cost?

Mig

Go to a local MOT centre and have a word with the bloke who does the tests.

OK, I had mine done for nothing because a mate of mine is an MOT inspector, but it's about 5 minutes work.
If you can get the car there when things are quiet you're probably looking at a fiver in his hand.

If your car is anything like mine no adjustment is needed.
My lights were actually set a bit low and to the left.

Guy.

Note.
The garage is not there to decide what is legal.
The legality of your car is down to you.
The whole thing about after market HID's is a bit of a grey area so don't worry your pretty little head about it.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, having fitted the kit today I can confirm that these are an absolute godsend at this money. Absolutely superb and miles better than standard. I went for the 6000k option, brilliant white light with a tiny hint of blue. The best £70 you can spend on a Leon, no question.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm not happy with the positioning of the ballasts at the moment. I've ordered some of that super dooper dual-lock velcro stuff and I'll reposition the ballasts at the weekend. As usual, anything to be done under the bonnet is pretty fiddly due to lack of room.

Will take some pics of light performance in a minute or two and post them up.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Some pics of these HIDs in operation:

HID1.jpg

HID2.jpg

HID3.jpg

My camera doesn't do them justice but its easy to see what an improvement they are over standard.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well I just checked for updates on the delivery of my parcel and it says: "  Your item was collected(Taixing County) ". Not a clue in the world what that means. Anyone know what/where Taixing County is???

Cheers

Mig

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Has anyone compiled a guide with piccys for this ? I'm cr@p at anything car realted & want to see how easy/hard it acyually is.

Checklist:

Insurance
2 Tyres
Uprated Clutch
HID's

Buying car stuff never ends lol

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Well I just checked for updates on the delivery of my parcel and it says: "  Your item was collected(Taixing County) ". Not a clue in the world what that means. Anyone know what/where Taixing County is???

Cheers

Mig

Taixing is located in the Yangtze River Delta, where is the most developed region in China. As a newly developed coastal industrial city, Taixing has 1253Km2 of area and 1.29million of population.

Taixing locates in East Longitude 119°38′and North Latitude 31°51′, it enjoys a type of subtropical monsoon climate, mild and humid. The annual average temperature is 14.9℃(26.2℃ in summer and 3.3℃ in winter), the precipitation is 1027mm, the frost-free period is over 300 days, and the wind speed is 3.1m/s (prevailing wind is Southeast in summer and Northwest in winter).

:)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Has anyone compiled a guide with piccys for this ? I'm cr@p at anything car realted & want to see how easy/hard it acyually is.

I fully intend on doing a pictured guide as I have been promising since I first ordered these lights... I just don't have a car to do it with yet. As soon as it's back, I'll get on and do it though :)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I fully intend on doing a pictured guide as I have been promising since I first ordered these lights... I just don't have a car to do it with yet. As soon as it's back, I'll get on and do it though :)

Just wondering......what is up with your car?? Its been in for about a month!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The entire passenger side is being sprayed... but the bodyshop are having a sod of a job colour matching the paint. All sorts of issues apparently and they wont let it go until they are 100% happy with it. It's been 2.5 weeks so far and I'm waiting on a call back with an update today.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I might stick the RH one to the screen washer bottle but can't stick the LH one to the inside of the wing as my cold air feed for the Dynatwist runs along there. Thanks for the pics tedvagas.

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
i stuck it with industrial strength double sided tape! dont laugh though it sticks like s,hit to a blanket i also just put a couple of loose tie straps round the bonnet cable clips incase it does fall off

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise