steering rack replacement

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
had my steering rack replaced today under warranty as it was clonking if you wiggled the steering wheel whilst stationary

so now my steering wheel is well pissed and when I got home I found fluid dripping on my garrage floor, also unless I'm going mad my engine under tray is missing

I'm sure I could never see the floor when looking down through the engine bay

the steering doesn't seem to pull to one side, so is that a bonus?

I always held Meadens of sway in high regard until now

the phone in the service department will be warm in the morning

can anyone confirm that I would of deffo had an engine under tray on a petrol fr 05 plate ?

boss1986

Oct 27, 2006
Leeds
yep should have a big plastic tray under it. after mine went in for repairs it hangs down a bit on one side. think they have missed a screew out.

ill sort it when the weathers nicer. only hangs down a tiny bit so not going to catch on the floor or speed bumps

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
yep should defo have engine under tray mate, as for the steering wheel being a bit o n the scew i would of though that your tracking could be out as there was obviously somthing wrong with the old rack which may in some way compensated for this, get em to check it if they say all is ok get a al 4 wheel aligment done ont it, this 9/10 cures wheel wonkynessnessness. or maybe they just put the steering wheel back on with the wheels slightly turned:shrug:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
the old rack had a monster 8k miles on it from new

it was noisy and they just replaced the whole assembly rather than finding out why

I can understand the steering wheel being pissed as they only finished the job at 18.00 and it was dark

but the under tray has really got to me, have they left it off cos it's a bugger to get back on or do they think I'm blind and won't miss it

I will have a bloody good look at the car in the daylight tomorrow [:@] [:@]

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
SEAT had my tray off for the turbo replacment and forgot to put it back on had to wait 20 mins for em to do it when they realised

gazjones

under my car i think ive onlh got a try up to the front of the engine as when ive looked underneath ive always been able to tough the sump ( when red hot doing exhaust lol) i know the tdi's have big trays under neath with cubes on them but we dont have them

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
make sure your power steering doesnt run dry , it runs at mega pressure and is an expensive fix , get it back to the dealer asap and demand a courtesy car ,

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
when I had the car battery unpluged and the power assited light came on the dealer said the power assisted was very sensitive and liked 2 settle in when u put the battery on, and sure enough it went off that day. Might be something to do with this