Carbon Canister Removal - Tank Ventilation??

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Now has anyone removed the carbon canister properly? Not just removed it and left it to vent the fumes under the bonnet? If so what did you do? The options what I've been looking at...

- Trace the pipe all the way to the back of the car, snip it and leave it open. Result been under car ventilation.

- Trace the pipe back to the source, block it off and drill a small hole in the filler cap to stop the tank imploading / fuel starvtion.

- Add a bit of pipe to the engine bay pipe and vent to wing, bit of a bodge and don't want to go down this route.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
option 3 makes it stink like hell inside, did this to mine the other week

i came up with the bright idea of stripping wiring back and just relocating the N80 valve somewhere else (fooling ecu into thinking it's still connected as you do with N249)

i ended up locating it under the wiper linkage and all looked nice and tidy, took it down the road and the bloody thing just clicks away and wont shut up, gets louder the faster you go!!

it's all back to standard now untill i come up with another idea and a bit more time

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I binned mine craig, the tube that runs from the left side of the block now has a little bit of vac hose that drops down behind the headlight.

The rest is binned and the inlet mani connection is blanked.

Still not found what resistance i need for the N80 cannister tho.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Cupra you could be right it was only a short bit of pipe, but the VR6 is right down into the wing and in traffic it often smells.

Was thinking option three and make it near enough as low as the car, that was the air will break up the smell.

Revo Kev

www.onlyrevo.com
Feb 24, 2003
www.onlyrevo.com
Option 3 when I did mine... even vented it to the back of the bonnet though, only fumes were when stationary in traffic.
If you're blocking it off then you could always half do the filler cap up, or remove the seal from it done this in the past on another car.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Either add a piece of pipe to the existing breather and bring it down into the wing, or leave it where it is and worry that theres a very small chance of a petrol smell (I never smelt any on a mates car) or if you're sure it'll never, ever go back on cut the pipe back under the car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.