Anyone done a guide to replace a front wing?

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Mine has rusted through!!!! So I need to fit a new one, sourced a red one off here (via ebay) and want to fit it myself - are they just bolted on or are they spot welded/tacked on?

If nobody has done one I might try doing one and post it up!

Cheers

James

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Ok I will endeavour to do one! Although from your replies sounds like it might not be needed!

Anyone got a clue as to if it's simply bolted on???

I've got a 2001 X plate cupra in red - it has rust issues. The boot went - done udner warranty 3 or 4 months ago, both rear arches have gone (although 1 is a replacement panel) and now the front drivers arch - pi$$ed off really as they shouldn't rust like this!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Thats crazy mate i think you have one from a bad batch! it might be accpetable if there was a little patch here or there but that eminse! Mines a a Y plate 2001 and bare the swirls :censored: Its near perfect! Even my yellow mk2 cupra on a 99T had no rust what so ever.

David.

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Nope - not near the sea!

TBH I hardly use the damn thing as I work in Central London and have to commute in (shudder!)

But yes it is shocking - it has more rust on it than my 1990 pug 205!!!

Seat wouldn't do the rear wings - even though one was original, fair enough on the other one - but they pulled up some bollocks about it being road debris! Got them to do the boot tho!

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
I'll have to get some up at the weekend -but i'll do a before and after of it all. Will try get some in the morning but when I get home its always dark!!!

No-one know if it is bolts or welds or what????

RALF

Dec 10, 2003
london
Visit site
It will just be bolts, 10mm at a guess, bumper, head light and sideskirt will more than likely have to come off. To get the sideskirt off you will need something like a drill as its riveted each end and phillips screws underneath if i remember right.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
correct, all bolts - mostly covered in underseal

you will be lucky to reuse the existing wing - but basically remove front bumper, remove arch liner & then undo all the bolts you can see

mind the door when you take the wing off, else you'll scratch that too

pretty easy to do though

shibadybob

You can get away with dropping the front bumper on the side you are changing and just need to remove liner from the wing not completely remove..

tis indeed all bolts.. have to remove or drop side skirt if memory serves correctly.
[B)]

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Thanks for the info guys - will be doing this next weekend so I'll let you all know how it goes!

With the side skirt - do I really need to drill it off???? Sounds expensive to me - attacking my car with a drill!

shibadybob

Ha you only want to drill the rivet out at the front of the skirt inside the arch.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.