Refurbing Your Brembos: For Dummies

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Disclaimer: try this at own risk, make sure your brakes work after, dont blame me if it goes wrong.
-----------------------------------------

Thanks to all that contributed on a different thread and inspired me to have a go at mine

so here it is, how to refurb your brembos for dummies

first of all, here is a pic of how bad mine were,
I thought the paint had come off bits, but it was just the air bubbling up the lacquer.

1.jpg

Make sure you have the essentials:
Masking tape
some degreaser (I used car plan brake cleaner - £5 motor world)
Lacquer (Hycote Lacquer Paint)
1200 wet and dry paper (£1.99 Halfords)
approx cost £15

3.jpg

1. take off jack cap on the side skirt (pull and squeeze from bottom)
2. use tool in boot to remove nut caps
3. loosen off bolts on wheel (dont take them off!)
4. Get jack, and jack up the car aligning the ridge on the jack with that under the jack cover.
5. undo the bolts on the wheel, remove it and put the wheel just next to the jack in case it falls, also make sure your hand brake is on tight

2.jpg

6. degrease the brembos with appropriate degreaser.
I didn't want to remove the brake pads so i got some car plan stuff that i could use whilst they were still on, I had to use a cloth the wipe off the dirt as it evaporated quite quickly.

7. try and peel off any lacquer that is flaking, i used the my nail (pushed it away from me to stop it going in between my finger) this method also pushed the air into other areas of the lacquer which made removal of top layer loads easier, this bit can take ages, but the more you do now will mean better results.
should look something like this

4.jpg

8. Use the wet and dry paper to prepare the area ready for spraying, and make sure you clean any dust off it.
9. Mask any areas such as break pads and anything your not spraying

5.jpg

10. Get some newspaper to cover the surrounding areas incase any lacquer gets on any panels, or if your a pikey like me use some rags and christmas napkins that are the only things you can find

6.jpg

11. Use thin coats of lacquer, and do about 5 of them going back every 10-15 mins, or as directed on the can
after the first coat it was looking pretty good

7.jpg

12. once you've finished all the coats remove the masking tape and it should look something like this

8.jpg

it said on the tin to leave for 24 hrs, so i put the wheel back on and left it over night.

here are the before and after shots:

1.jpg

9.jpg

hope this is helpful

Last edited:

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
excellent just what i need my brakes look exactly like yours did perhaps this should be a sticky in the guides section

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Thanks guys, i honestly didn't think they would come that good
I almost took them to a spray shop but for £15 thought what the heck, i'd give it a go.

Took about 3 hrs to do.

lofer

Atlantis to Interzone
Apr 11, 2007
Holbeach
Great results! Great guide! [B)] This is defiantly something I need to do. Do you know if you can get lacquer that can be applied with a brush as im dangerous with a spray can!!! :blink:

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Do you know if you can get lacquer that can be applied with a brush as im dangerous with a spray can!!! :blink:

I'd never used a spray can before, and the coats were really thin so there isn't actually that much spraying to do, as long as you mask the surrounding areas well enough i think you'll be ok

Never seen lacquer in a tin......... I think you'll get a cleaner result with a spray can

Lee M

Sticky deffo....Superb guide mate, they are looking good!! :clap:

This is my next job if the stealers won't replace under warranty.

I wonder if the rear calipers would come up as well with just the lacquer???

Cheers

Lee

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
nice work m8. given me the confidence and an idea of what i need to do to mine now. wonder what half the forums gona be doin this weekend lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.