Have I been done?

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I took delivery of an 05 reg TDI FR Leon 2 weeks ago with 16k up (FSH). Recent service - service book missing though, but it's being replaced - no spare key, but that's on back order too. I will state clearly that it was sold with full history - HPI came back clean too.

Nice.

So I thought.

Today the engine management light came on - Faulty N18 valve - or something like that. I got me a tow to the dealer this morning - standing in the rain waiting for recovery isn't something I'll wish on anyone!

Anyway, turns out the air filter's surprisingly clogged up considering it's "only done 16k" and the oil level was well below 'min'. It's started asking for a service too.

Seat main dealer have been great and done the sensor under warranty, but the service manager is clearly sceptical....

It's a nice car though and I do love it (skittish though).

I think know where I stand legally, fortunately - if the car's mileage is wrong the selling trader is liable & all that. But I'd welcome any other advice.

Note - I'm not looking for full on legal advice...

Thanks

J.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
It should be traceable through VIN number etc so i would have thought the service managed could trace where it was serviced and by whom ..... a new car with 16k on the clock is not a likely candidate for back street garages i would have thought.

Just out of interest was it the dealer you're 'dealing' with who sold it to you?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Hopefully... it's just missed a service. If that's the case you should be fine, but it would be worth asking the dealer to give it a good once over.

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
for the age etc.. i wouldn't imagine that there could be major issues..

but does seem a bit... that the FSH has gone walkies and all of a suddon your service light is flashing....

Just make sure you get it serviced..

Lee M

Last week my car went into the garage recently for some warranty work. The 'service' light was flashing when it went in, but they had to disconnect the battery to work on the ESP system, and this reset the service warning (even though it still needed to be done).

Point to the story is this might have happened to yours and thrown out the servive timer in the ECU, putting it out of sync?

Just a thought

Cheers Lee

gazzy-g

should it of even had an air filter by that milage id be demanding a free service while it in the workshop

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I'm having a bunch of problems tracing it's history which is about as funny as a poke in the eye with a stick..... I'm contacting the last known owner which is "Allianz Cornhill Insurance" (warning - warning!)

To make matters worse, it got broken in to while I was in Grantham (grr), the window smashed, sat nav stolen and the lock destroyed - I suppose that solves the problem with only having one key....

And my insurance company is arse-ing me about.

Am I cursed with this car???

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
It should be traceable through VIN number etc so i would have thought the service managed could trace where it was serviced and by whom ..... a new car with 16k on the clock is not a likely candidate for back street garages i would have thought.

Just out of interest was it the dealer you're 'dealing' with who sold it to you?

I'm dealing with the Seat dealer who can't be more helpful - the little village place where I got the car, well, I'm keeping him at arms length before I get enough information to either take him to court or settle this one down.

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
the stole the sat nav?
the inbuilt system?
ouch! that must have looked a mess!
know how you feel mate, some filthy gippo coont stole the telly out my GF car!
bastrds never even took the control box so its useless!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
If it's inbuilt sat-nav - then they must have been at it a while.

If it's a stand alone sat-nav (tom-tom etc) then unfortunately people should know better than to leave it in a car - just asking for trouble.

You might just have a few teething problems mate. I like to get a full service done when I buy a car anyway, as then you truely know where you stand, regardless of the so-called "history" from the previous owner.

I hope it all goes well for you - once it's running properly you'll be in love with the car :)

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
****Hangs head in shame****

It was a "Pin it to the screen" sat nav - so I've noone to blame but myself really - even so, it's still a real bitch. It was, however, in the glovebox, but the cables were out on show. And it's not even covered by my insurance unless I tell a little fib about the glovebox having been locked....

I'll get me a service done and a vehicle report and then probably go back and screw the selling dealer.

I do love the car already, but once you get nervous about a car.......

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
The dealer did a HPI check while I was stood next to him and I took a printout of it at the same time.

It was advertised with the lower mileage, so trade descriptions may come into effect there at the very least. We'll see how it goes as I've emailed/written to the previous registered keeper.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Sorry to hear of your experience. Just one thing, don't be worried by the previous owner being Allianz Cornhill Insurance. Its is an absolutey massive group of companies, with thousands of company cars, and this being a diesel hatch means it appears on a lot of approved company car lists.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I've had a response from the previous "owner of the car" (Who, incidentally, I still can't remember the name of - either way, you'd think they'd be able to spell Allianz as something sensible)

Ahem - Tangent

Initially they quoted Data Protection Act at me (nice) but since I only wanted the recorded mileage, they gave it up to me - it was indeed the low 14500 as was on the mileometer (we'll overlook the fact that in a month I've put 2000 miles on it!)

Now I need the service history. Great.

STPCG

Enzo Ferrari next :-)
Nov 10, 2006
Lincolnshire
When they broke in did they do the lock? windows down ? just thinking about de locking mine seems to be a trend!! :cry:

fr.gif
2005 FR+ in Black Magic Fabia Rear Wiper, Connects2 Mp3 Connection, Flip key added, full Maguires detail, Seat tire valves for £1 from the dealer!!,more to come

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
When they broke in they mangled the lock and ripped out the barrel, realised they couldn't get in and just smashed the window. Nice.

The car still locks and unlocks - although sometimes the car doesn't always let me in or out. Charming!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.