Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Gleammachine - Leon FR TDI - Paint Enhancement

Gleammachine – Leon FR TDI

Recently my partner’s car and my car were covered in contaminants by building work from next door. As this was entirely the fault of the builders (they gave us no prior warning to the work), out of principle I wanted a professional to fix the damage caused. Even though I am as a keen detailer myself and no stranger to a polisher, I felt that I shouldn’t have to sacrifice my own time to rectify the problem.

I contacted Rob as I have been following his work on DW for a number of years and knew his work was absolute quality. Another benefit of choosing GleamMachine is that by simply watching Rob work I would pick up hints and tips that would help me as a detailer in future details. Best to learn from one of the best right? And Rob is one of the best in his field.

Date was quickly agreed and I turned up at Rob detailing studio at 08:30am. I was pleasantly surprised that Rob was already outside prepping even though I was half an hour earlier (hardly not traffic on the road). Rob inspected the car and he hit the ground running so we could get the car under the spotlights to assess the damage as soon as possible.

Stages and Products
- Wash stages: Valetpro citrus pre-wash for pre rinse and foam stage, washed with Meg’s shampoo+
- De-contaminated: AS Tardis followed by i4detailing polyclay & AS reglaze
- Machine work: Menzerna 203s, IP3.02 & 85RD on a polishing pad,
- Protection: Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (pre-cleaner) Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant via DA, Blackfire Metal sealant on the alloys, G-techniq C4 on the plastic trim, Glass 3M & Carlack glass sealant, shuts Werkstat strong.
- Trim: exhaust Meg's metal polish, rubber seals Swissvax seal feed, arches AS finish, tyres Megs endurance.

Wash Stages

DSCF3163.jpg

DSCF3165.jpg

DSCF3166.jpg

DSCF3167.jpg

DSCF3168.jpg

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3171.jpg

DSCF3172.jpg

DSCF3174.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
DSCF3177.jpg

DSCF3178.jpg

DSCF3180.jpg

DSCF3181.jpg

The car was pretty clean after the wash stage. I was very impressed by the speed and efficiency Rob worked around the car. His product knowledge of how to get the car clean quick, what works and what doesn’t work but retain the thoroughness was great.

There wasn’t much to report claying wise apart from the yellow clay bar having darker yellow contaminants on it from the roof. We presumed this must have been the cement contaminants they used on the roof next door. I was pretty pleased to hear Rob say the paint was in excellent condition and was pleased to work on a car with original paint. My heart was pounding however as Rob started inspecting the paint dept levels around the car. As a keen detailer myself, my car is the one I machine polished, try new products, and learnt how to detail on so was conscious that I may have gone a little too aggressive on some panels in my earlier years. I was overjoyed to see healthy consistent readings all over the car! This also meant Rob could work his magic without fear of low clear-coat levels.

DSCF3184.jpg

DSCF3185.jpg

The car was taken into the studio, taped up and Rob inspected the car under his myriad of halogen lights he has. There were no swirls on the car just some deep RDS marks that either I put in from removing the heavy cement contaminants or the previous owner put in.

DSCF3186.jpg

DSCF3189.jpg

All in all however again I was overjoyed at how few and far between these marks were for a 5 year old car. The RDS was extremely hard to see due to the colour of the car so we both inspected the panels at some extreme angles to catch them. Robs 150w halogens caught them perfectly.

DSCF3190.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Rob tried various polish combinations on the rear quarter to see what worked best. We had agreed that it would be impossible to try and chase every single bit of RDS that day as it would require multiple stages, lots of time and the fact that they were so hard to see unless under special conditions. We opted to achieve

Depth - The degree of richness or intensity: depth of color.
Shine - radiance or brightness caused by emitted or reflected light.
Clarity - Clearness of appearance

Example of RDS on the roof.
DSCF3225.jpg

Machine Stage

Whilst Rob was machining I got to work on the Wheels and Door shuts.
DSCF3195.jpg

DSCF3207.jpg

DSCF3211.jpg

DSCF3196.jpg

DSCF3197.jpg

DSCF3201.jpg

DSCF3203.jpg

DSCF3212.jpg

DSCF3214.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
On the Roof there was an area where the RDS needed special attention. Rob got out the Menzerna IP and Woolpad combination, cornered off the area and did his magic.

DSCF3236.jpg

DSCF3238.jpg

DSCF3240.jpg

DSCF3241.jpg

Protection & Trim Stage

DSCF3245.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

DSCF3247.jpg

I was absolutely blown away by how good G-Techniq C4 was! Added to shopping list…

DSCF3249.jpg

DSCF3250.jpg

DSCF3251.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
DSCF3260.jpg

Summary

I have to say Rob @ Gleammachine is a true master of the art. It was amazing exchanging ideas about all things detailing. Rob throughout the day was extremely friendly and professional. He answered all my questions and gave me great info & advice on each stage in great detail. Also his product knowledge is impeccable and I already have a shopping list as long as my arm! I was blown away by the products Rob used at various stages – they all worked flawlessly and his experience really showed.

What I am really pleased that my approach to detailing and keeping the car swirl/scratch free really paid off. Under the inspection of the myriad of lights the paint condition was fantastic to which rob commented and for a professional like Rob to comment meant the world to me. The fact that the car was covered in cement dust and I managed to get it off without too much damaged was a massive relief.

All in all I had one of the most enjoyable days detailing of my life. Blown away by GleamMachine and would definitely recommend Robs services to anyone. I can’t wait to unleash what I learn t from Rob– he has really inspired me to carry on with detailing and raised my game to the next level.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Maz, we need to talk about your really BT plans ;) I think thak I know better solution.

And of course great job with the car.

Best regards,

Stan
Stan!

Where you been buddy? You were meant to be in the UK already!

Yes we do really need to talk, always open to different solutions.

Cheers,
Maz

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Breathtaking results, you must be over the moon! Not only did you get your car professionally detailed but it sounds like you got a master class in car detailing.

That G-Techniq C4 stuff looks pretty good, i may have to get me some of that!

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Nice one Maz, looks lovely.

Just thought I'd add that G-Techniq C4 really is the dog's, a huge amount of my car was faded black plastic but one tiny bottle of that has kept it all dark shiny black for AGES. It's quite expensive for a tiny bottle but it really is worth it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Breathtaking results, you must be over the moon! Not only did you get your car professionally detailed but it sounds like you got a master class in car detailing.

That G-Techniq C4 stuff looks pretty good, i may have to get me some of that!
Yea I am really pleased with the work for sure. :)

I knew I was ready for the next level and Rob @ Gleammachine was just the ticket to take me there. Cant wait to unleash what I know now on another car, my new rotary is just itching to be used! In fact Rob said he may used me when he has a big detail on so looking forward to that.

C4 is amazing product. It is very expensive for the amount you get but it is one of those products that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Look at the video here: http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/

Nice one Maz, looks lovely.

Just thought I'd add that G-Techniq C4 really is the dog's, a huge amount of my car was faded black plastic but one tiny bottle of that has kept it all dark shiny black for AGES. It's quite expensive for a tiny bottle but it really is worth it.
Thanks Martin.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.