Leon FR TFSI DSG opinions from owners please

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
I love my Lexus, but I have been toying with the idea of a motor with DSG from the VAG group. To this end, as I previously owned a Cupra R I thought I would ask for owners opinions of the particular model mentioned in the title.

My R had its problems with rattles and squeaks and bits going wrong meaning un-scheduled visits to the dealer, but saying that nothing ever really serious left me at the side of the road, except having a lump of wood go through the alloy wheel on the motorway! Chipped up it was a nice for tooling around in and I sort of miss that bit.

So if you happen to own the Leon FR 2.0TFSI DSG, can I have your thoughts please?

Secondary, has anyone chipped theirs yet and what was the result?

Thanks

af210368

do it - you know you want to

Hi,
we've had our candy white fr dsg form about 5 weeks now and it just keeps getting better.
at first i thought it was a bit sluggish but once we got past 500 miles i think the engine management system realised it had a turbo and it got quick all of a sudden.

the gear change in sport mode is harsh but in paddle mode it's great for general b road blitzing.

normal driving in Auto is fine most of the time although it has a tendancy to leave it in second at roundabouts so you're not necessarily as quick off the mark as you'd like to be.

the downchange blip is great.

it's my wifes car and in the past i've owned some pretty serious bits of kit... caterham, noble, ferrari 355, 360 f1 etc.. and i would say the dsg is every bit as good as ferrari's f1 box.

i'd definitely recommend it. p.s. looks great in candy whit too :)

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
yeah seconded, the dsg is great! (but them maybe im biased ;) )

its good for if ur feeling lazy, you just stick it in D and let it do its thing. i dont overly like it in D as it always changes up to too early for my liking..something to do with being the most economical or something?? ;)
for example it will stick the car in 5th if u are tootling along at 30mph (that will be in a 30 zone), thats a tad annoying as id normally have my car in 3rd and i think 5th is a bit OTT. but if ur just around town taking it easy then makes sense economically i guess

i personally love the S mode and think its fantastic. plant your foot down and it will go all the way up to the red, or it will just hold on to the revs till you want it to change up.

if u find some nice roads and want a more involved drive then the paddles come into play. (or u can change up/down rally style using the gear stick)

so its very versitile, it can be as lazy or involved as u want it to be. the gearchange is smooth and quick (8ms or something, 19 times quicker than a ferrari auto box i think i read somewhere).

i think Seat are still doing their 24hr test drives for the FR dsg so call up a dealer and try and book urself in for one! you need to try one, if ur definatly after an auto then u wont be disapointed :D

DSG-boy

Jul 2, 2007
Sweden
DSG makes it a premium car. And don´t forget the Xenons, money well spent and makes it a more premium car! :)

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
Yes, I agree with you there DSG-boy, my car has the AFS Xenons and there is no going back from there, they are sooo much better than halogen lights.

I may have to give them a call about the 24hr thing, I didn't realise they did that.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
I had one for a few hours to test drive. In a phrase: Bloody brilliant!

If it wasn't for the nightmare fuel economy (we had it down to 8mph in sport mode), I would seriously considered changing in my FR TDI for it. Sadly, I just do too many miles to justify the fuel.. but..

It's alot of fun!

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Economy is no different to the manual TFSI which is why its so good.

Did 160 odd miles this week in a day and managed 35MPG !

Not like you drive it in sports mode all the time and if you did its no different than revving a manual.

Fun Bobby

How strange!!!

I also used to have a Lexus, the IS200 SE Auto which I loved!!
But it got tired and I needed something new.
I fancied a change and went for a Nissan Pathfinder. Great car and good fun but a different beast altogether.

The next car will definitely have some poke and I'm very interested in the FR TFSI DSG. I've got a test drive booked for later this week - I'll let you know my thoughts.......

DSG-boy

Jul 2, 2007
Sweden
How strange!!!

I also used to have a Lexus, the IS200 SE Auto which I loved!!
But it got tired and I needed something new.
I fancied a change and went for a Nissan Pathfinder. Great car and good fun but a different beast altogether.

The next car will definitely have some poke and I'm very interested in the FR TFSI DSG. I've got a test drive booked for later this week - I'll let you know my thoughts.......

All cars with the DSG gearbox have to my knowledge a very good second hand value. You will definitely get the extra money back if you compare to a MT when it comes to selling. A used FR MT will not be that hard to find.
The price for Seats DSG is very cheap, Audi want´s two times the same money.
(I would have chosen it before bluetooth and 18:s)

And deep inside everybody want´s an FR automatic. Why wouldn´t you want the faster car? :rolleyes: (maybe for the track it´s better with MT)

(I would have gone for the Cupra if it had DSG and heated seats.)

And of course it´s just my opinion that DSG is nicer than MT :)

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
Fun Bobby - Well that was to be expected I guess in regard to the charging, but it will only really affect me if the zone is actually extended to the proposed Blackwall Tunnel boundry. Pain in the A if you live within the zone though and need to have a car.

Did you do the test drive yet? What did you think? I am off this week so I may see if my local dealer can do a test.

Fun Bobby

Not yet, the dealer has one TFSI DSG and that has been with a customer.
Hopefully he'll be calling me today. Ideally I want a 24 hour test drive - so I can really get to know the car.

As soon as I've done the test I'll post a review.

DSG-boy

Jul 2, 2007
Sweden
Not yet, the dealer has one TFSI DSG and that has been with a customer.
Hopefully he'll be calling me today. Ideally I want a 24 hour test drive - so I can really get to know the car.

As soon as I've done the test I'll post a review.

Stop jerking around and just order one with all options :lol::p

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Goto Parkway and see if they have a Golf DSG available - give you an idea...

Doubt they will lend you one for 24hours, I have managed this only once but it was when I had a company car so more to barter with.

Fun Bobby

Goto Parkway and see if they have a Golf DSG available - give you an idea...

Doubt they will lend you one for 24hours, I have managed this only once but it was when I had a company car so more to barter with.

Where is Parkway?
In your opinion what is the difference to the Golf DSG? Which is better?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.