Checking power steering fluid

shiggsy

this might sound like a bit of a stupid question, but how do you check the level of the power steering fluid? There's no visible min/max markings on the tank.

I know the cap has a dipstick on it, but my question is do you screw it right back in to read the level, or just rest back at the top of the thread? I assume it's the latter, but I have a motorcycle where you must screw it home to check the oil level?

Have scoured the manual, and there's very little info about the PS fluid. cheers!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
this might sound like a bit of a stupid question, but how do you check the level of the power steering fluid? There's no visible min/max markings on the tank.

I know the cap has a dipstick on it, but my question is do you screw it right back in to read the level, or just rest back at the top of the thread? I assume it's the latter, but I have a motorcycle where you must screw it home to check the oil level?

Have scoured the manual, and there's very little info about the PS fluid. cheers!

twsit the knob to remove the cap, on the cap there is a small dipstick with a min and max on it,
wipe dip stick, reinsert and remove,then check level , top up if nesscary

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Does anyone know what power steering fluid is recommended for a LCR?

any stuff? :shrug:

and why have I got a feeling in the back of my head that brake fluid can be used? or is it gear box oil?!

basically, whats used, anyone know?!

cheers peeps :)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
what do ppl recommend to use?!

or is normal power steering fluid of the shelf ok?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
cheers...

98004vvvvvvvvvPOW.ST./SUSP.FLUID CHF7.1vvvvvvvvvGeneral Use. All Models - (GREEN MINERAL)vvvvvvvvv£6.50

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
doubt its really going to make that much difference, but imo i would say you screw it in to get the reading!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
no leaks, its just I checked all fluids before my brands track day a week ago and noticed it was low.

AFAIK it hasn't been touched since I bought my car brand new back in feb 05

stevekkk1

Jul 25, 2009
Camberley, Surrey
hi does anyone know what fluid to use when topping up the power steering fluid. i was told it was special green fluid but when i went to a seat dealer they told me it was atf. i topped up with atf and have since herd again that it needs this green fluid otherwise it knackers the power steering pump.

thanx

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Is it fine to mix and match then as the fluid in mine is currently green. Presumably generic ATF could be any colour? Mine is also a little low. My step dad checked mine and said the cap should be rested on top not screwed back in to check level so i'm going by that :p

stevekkk1

Jul 25, 2009
Camberley, Surrey
iv herd that if it is the green fluid then you cant mix it with atf as it knackers the power steering pump, which is why i am worried as i have topped up mine with atf but not sure what was in mine to start off with. how old is your lcr?

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Doing some searching here as i have just topped mine up and just to clarify with everyone that it is the green vw spec hydraulic and power assisted steering fluid G 004 000 M2 you need to top up the system.

Dealer said it as that when they put your reg number in the computer and it comes up with all the fluids needed for your particular car, also when you check the level you can see its green when you wipe it on the rag.

And its common sense i think that to check the level you screw it in and out to get an accurate reading.

Hope this helps

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members