Votex

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Ibiza » Ibiza Mk4

Ibiza Mk4 For the 2002 - 2008 model

Old 05-12-2007, 11:38   #1
luckymjr
cordy's are cool

luckymjr has 10 points
wing mirror removal .

Hi all

I drive a 55 plate seat cordoba tdi 130 ( i'm posting here coz i think i'll get more response ) and i was just wondering if somebody could tell me how to remove the black wing mirror cover ( drivers side ) that covers up the wing mirrors supporting screws .

The reason i want to remove the cover is because my cordoba suffers very badly from motorway ' wind noise ' and although the dealership has already fitted a new door seal the noise is no different

I'm pretty sure that the draught noise is coming from the wing mirror area , hence the reason for my posting ,

Mark
Old 05-12-2007, 11:47   #2
Aimez
Evil woman of doom beware

Aimez has 10 points
yeh common prob on the ibiza too, I tried sealing as many edges as I can on mine as someone on here said it helps. With mine i pushed them into the window (parking position) then just carefully put a screwdriver under the edges on each side and they pop off. I broke a clip bit on one though as I was a bit impatient be careful!
Old 05-12-2007, 17:51   #3
danmay
Fast cars, shooting stars

danmay has 10 points
yep, push them towards the doo and put your finger in the gap by the hinge and pull, dead easy!
danmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 22:57   #4
luckymjr
cordy's are cool

luckymjr has 10 points
Thanks for your advice lads

I've managed to get the cover off without breaking anything ( i think )
I can't take it off completely however because the speaker wire is still connected .

Now i've released the cover what now ?
Where do i seal and what is the best stuff to use for this ?

Sorry to be a pain but car maintenance isn't really my forte ,

Thanks again ,

Mark
Old 06-12-2007, 23:05   #5
CHR15B

CHR15B has 10 points
I think you actually seal between the mirror cover and the mirror, rather than between the mirror and the door.

Removing the mirror completely is not required.
Old 06-12-2007, 23:17   #6
luckymjr
cordy's are cool

luckymjr has 10 points
Do i need to buy some kind of sealent

Mark
Old 06-12-2007, 23:22   #7
CHR15B

CHR15B has 10 points
I think so... try a search I guess

I don't have any wind noise problems... I didn't pay much attention with the original black wing mirror covers but had the FR ones since I pretty much got the car and haven't noticed a problem.

I did however get an annoying wind noise with my deflectors though... I eventually sold them on as it got rather annoying.
Old 07-12-2007, 20:31   #8
Damoegan
Sir Bob,a geordy legend..

Damoegan has 10 points
This is how I done it when I changed mine mate http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/show...ht=wing+mirror
Old 11-12-2007, 16:59   #9
luckymjr
cordy's are cool

luckymjr has 10 points
Unhappy wing mirror cover removal / wind noise

Hi all .
I thought i'd post a quick update on this topic .

Basically i managed to remove the wing mirror inside cover ( the one that covers the screws that holds the wing mirror in place ) and sealed up most of the gaps . This however made no difference at all when driving down the motorway , as the wind noise was still terrible

Basically , since my original posting , i've had my cordy looked at by my local seat dealer , regarding this matter of wind noise .

I picked my car up earlier today and spoke to the technician who worked on my car and he said that he'd adjusted the wing mirrors set position and has inserted some kind of tape inside the mirror unit

Originally the car was booked in to have some kind of modification done to the door seal , but after attending some kind of meeting with SEAT , the mechanic was told that ' door / window' seals are not the problem with the ibiza range but the mirrors are , hence the adjustment and sealing of mine under warranty .

I'll do a later posting and let you all know if this has made any difference ,

Mark

Last edited by luckymjr; 11-12-2007 at 20:56.
luckymjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 17:04   #10
st10587
i only brake for cake!!!!

st10587 has 10 points
ok really silly question but i have a '02' plate 1.2 and the wing mirrors dont seem to want to fold, is that jus me being girly with them or is it some thing more?
st10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17   #11
bizzaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st10587 View Post
ok really silly question but i have a '02' plate 1.2 and the wing mirrors dont seem to want to fold, is that jus me being girly with them or is it some thing more?
Yeah, you really need to be trying to fold the mirror INWARDS, towards the windows, trying to push them the other way (outwards), and they'er more likely to snap off!

Seriously, hold the unit and give it a good firm push!
...all car wing mirrors are designed to fold!
Old 12-12-2007, 19:01   #12
danmay
Fast cars, shooting stars

danmay has 10 points
and if that fails theres always good ol' WD40
danmay is offline   Reply With Quote