High-Level brake light failure!

paradigm

I hate the orange game!
My third (high-level) brake light has stopped working, other two are still coming on fine.

Does anyone know the wiring layout for the brake light in the spoiler, and more importantly, what I have to remove to get to both ends of the wiring?

Got my MOT coming up, so need it sorted sharpish :(

Any help appreciated... ta.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Not at all, I've got a rear spoiler on my Astra with a 3rd brake light that has never worked since I've fitted it. Had it in for at least 4 mots at different places and nothing has been said by any of them. The only ones that have to work are the ones in the rear clusters. Same goes for front fogs, I had another Astra where I changed the front bumper that had fogs in but I never wired them up. No problems with that either. They are an optional extra afterall.

paradigm

I hate the orange game!
Well, according to VOSA guidelines, if it is there, it HAS to work. It doesn't work, I want it to work. Same goes with your front fogs, if they are there, they are meant to work. Seems your MOT tester is a little whack.

Tried pulling the boot apart, but no luck tracing where its meant to be wired to.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i had same issue and was changed under warranty
to replace mean remove whole spoiler

as a note:
i asked asked about high level brake light as didn't want to get caught by boys in blue and was told that nothing to worry as long as two main ones light up and it is not part of mot and that was a seat stealer.

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
You have to take the Boot lid surround off and then there is 3 bolts to remove the spoiler.

Unplug the light from the wiring loom and remove the spoiler from the car. Looking into the spoiler you'll see to holes with screws at the bottom, undo these and the light will fall out of the spoiler.

The light unit is sealed and is a common problem to die, you have to buy a new unit from SEAT, it was about £56 inc VAT when I did mine last year.

Oh and I have never seen an MOT failed from a faulty 3rd Brake light as long as the 2 main lights are working correctly.