Locating the MAF sensor grr

jimmybonsaville

Hey guys on way back from a little drive to the coast my Ibiza 1.4 died on me. Pootering about 70mph on the motorway and the engine just died followed by engine oil light for a sec or 2 then the engine managment light. Traffis was pretty heavy so i just tried starting her up again whilst still coasting and it fired up ok but did same again about 3 other times. Managed to get home ok and checked for and nasty noises and also checked oil level and all seems fine.

Ive done a search on here and it looks like may be a MAF failuire? Also i did notice earlyer on was a bit hesitant in 4th low down as if a surge was kicking in now and again. The cars been sat in a dusty warhouse for a few years so im thinking maybe a bit dirty or something? Can anyone tell me roughly where its located so i can attempt to give it a clean. There was a link to a guide in the search but the link was dead. The car is due a service in a weeks time but i just want to know where i stand if needs replacing etc

Any help greatfully recieved cheers!!

jimmybonsaville

Well ive took the plunge and order a vag.com lead of ebay for 15 english pounds lol Hope this will enlighten me on what the problem is!

jimmybonsaville

luckily, you don't have a MAF

more likely: engine speed sensor, or ignition coil

now im confuded lol ive just spent 3 hours using the search tool on here and many sites and i thought it was 100 gona be the MAF sensor even got a part number to ring tomorow DOH so i feel a bit silly lol im guessing its diesel only?

Hmm wondering if the engine speed sensor would bring up the epc light just before i start the ignition?

Cheers for reading my thread btw mork!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
normally (and this isn't a golden rule) it's Forced Induction [SEAT's] that have MAF's

though my 2.0 8v has one...

EPC light flashing suggests it may be linked to the drive by wire system. vagcom cable will tell all though.

jimmybonsaville

cheers mate much apreciated. Im thinking you may be right about speed sensor because ive noticed a few times when im slowing down say aproaching a round about sometimes the engine cuts out and battery light comes on. At first i thought i was stalling it because its my 1st car but its happened where im 100% sure ive got the clutch right in. However the engine light was on perminently now where as before it only came on when i powered up the electrics and no ignitions. Usually cleared when started her up. Sheesh!! im a dab hand with motorbike mechanics but seems like cars have sensors for everything lol so much as fart and a light comes up:funk:

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
hi, have a look on some of the polo forums as alot of the polos from mk4 onwards run the same 1.4 8v engine and there is much more info to be found on them about this engine, on here it is mostly us lot rattling on about our 1.8 20vt motors which is not much help to you, but from my experiance i would say mork has hit the nail on the head with engine speed sensor or coil, hope that helps a bit:)

jimmybonsaville

hi, have a look on some of the polo forums as alot of the polos from mk4 onwards run the same 1.4 8v engine and there is much more info to be found on them about this engine, on here it is mostly us lot rattling on about our 1.8 20vt motors which is not much help to you, but from my experiance i would say mork has hit the nail on the head with engine speed sensor or coil, hope that helps a bit:)

thanks for that :D think ill be joining the 1.8 20vt league soon im loving the look of the supras and leons. Seat certainly make some sexy looking cars!! Just a shame insurance is a killer for me on my 1st car lol 29 this year and my ins is almost 1300 for a 1.4!!!

jimmybonsaville

luckily, you don't have a MAF

more likely: engine speed sensor, or ignition coil

Spot on diagnosis mate twas Cam speed sensor.

I could not help but worry and ive got a few days before my VAG cable arrives so i took it to the local Seat garage.

Its called NorthEast Garages and well its not had that many good reviews on here. But the worry of having my first car go bang on me got the better so in i trundles...

58 pound to plug in there dignostics which i knew was scandelous but hey i wanted to know lol. Was told that the fault as with above sensor but they couldne find any part number so i sat n waited for a extra 40 mins thinking they had problems on phone to Seat. Nope they had already had the engine in bits and removed the part. I was only popping in and then planning my next step but they had already arranged the part.

Cost +labour 190 pound so thats 58+190= 248 :doh: So i took the plunge and though what the hell lets get her serviced early thats another 200 and i left a note asking them to look at timing belt aswell because its due at 5 years or 60000 miles but the car has been sat for 3 years. No doubt im looking at another 200 odd wuid for that :(

Happy motoring lol

guitarman

hi mate,

you'd replied to my post saying you'd had the same thing happening to you, lucky i checked your threads, so, has that work you had done sorted the problems out you reckon?
and they called it a cam speed sensor not the engine speed sensor? (i assume they are probably the same thing though??)

mines also coming up to 60,000 mile service, so that dreading timing belt needs doing, which will set me back a few hundred quid, so i'm trying to avoid the main dealer cos i'm skint at the moment...

jimmybonsaville

hi mate,

you'd replied to my post saying you'd had the same thing happening to you, lucky i checked your threads, so, has that work you had done sorted the problems out you reckon?
and they called it a cam speed sensor not the engine speed sensor? (i assume they are probably the same thing though??)

mines also coming up to 60,000 mile service, so that dreading timing belt needs doing, which will set me back a few hundred quid, so i'm trying to avoid the main dealer cos i'm skint at the moment...

yea mate its sorted the problem :funk: ive done over 300 miles problem free Hope yours is a simple problem and easy cheap to fix lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members