Anyone Know The Location Of Gearbox Fluid Filler On My 1.4 Leon ?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
usually on top of the gear box should be a small hole with a plastic or rubber type cap i belive

This is totally wrong.... if you pour oil into that hole it will pour out the bottom, after soaking the clutch in oil.

The gearbox oil is topped up by a plug (17mm allen socket) halfway down the gearbox.

As it doesn't go anywhere, unless there's a leak - you must drain it all first.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
02J, 02K and 02M 5- and 6- speed boxes have combined fill-and-level plugs. The car MUST be on a level piece of ground and not jacked up or the level indication will be wrong. Inspection pit or service lift is ideal - you can see this is meant to be done at a dealer, can't you? However, don't some DIY servicing places exist where you can rent a bay with a pit???

Gearbox ident: Gearbox code letters are on the data label in the boot. Mine looks like this:

Code:
G131 24-1 591210 EG		Type
VSS ZZZ 1M Z 2B987654		Chassis number 2B987654
1M28        24			1M2=Toledo 28 24 is the complete model code
TOLEDO TDI 8 SIGNA
81 MNO       C5M		81 KW = engine power
ASV            EGS		Engine code and Transmission code
LS5N ---- ---- KU		Paint No and interior

Gearbox type and date code (three letters, five digits) stamped on top of casing; on my EGS box it's on the clutch housing flange next to the gearbox, forward of the plastic plug that seals the timing mark vision port into the clutch casing.

Fill/level plug

02J, 02M: front face of the gearbox,a hex-socket plug
02K: end of the gearbox casing towards the rear, a hex-socket plug.

To top up, (the SEAT way) fill so that oil is just dripping out, replace plug, jack up front, run engine for 2 mins with a gear selected, drop, open plug and top up again.

Oil spec

You have to know the gearbox code, as this will tell you what oil it was filled with at the factory. The types of oil (synthetic vs non-synth) used in SEAT boxes should not be mixed as they will degrade each other

Yours should be an 02K (DUW or FSQ) requiring 1.7 litres of API GL4 SAE 75W (Hypoid).

Transmission oil level is a check item on the 20,000 mile service.

Last edited:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
This is totally wrong.... if you pour oil into that hole it will pour out the bottom, after soaking the clutch in oil.

The gearbox oil is topped up by a plug (17mm allen socket) halfway down the gearbox.

As it doesn't go anywhere, unless there's a leak - you must drain it all first.

thats exactly why i looked at this thread, im waiting for someone to fill their gearbox through the flywheel viewing hole

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Right mine is the DUU box, been told by an independent VAG person that its 75w90 synthetic, sound about right?

Jimski

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
DUU is an 02K box, my copy of ElsaWin says Oil API GL4 SAE 75W (Hypoid), that is, NOT synthetic. You may want to get a third opinion.....

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I answered your original question in my first post -

"Yours should be an 02K (DUW or FSQ) requiring 1.7 litres of API GL4 SAE 75W (Hypoid)."

MY02 1.4 Leons are listed with DUW or FSQ gearboxes, which are 02K type.

Your engine should be AHW, AXP or BCA. BCA is only associated with the FSQ box

This is what is said about the two types of gearbox oil:

There is a new mineral gear oil API GL4 SAE 75W (Hypoid) in accordance with TL 726/Y. This type of oil can only be used in gearboxes where it is specified and must never be used in gearboxes that incorporate the previous oil API GL4 SAE 75W90 (Synthetic, high performance)

Due to the incompatibility between these types of oils, they must never be mixed as they change the properties of the lubricant.

dunny0707

oil level plug is on the end of the gearbox, you have to pull back n/s inner wing cover by undoing the bottom screw in the subframe, use a 17mm hex key to undo. make sure it's all level and warm to get a true reading.

badat_81

Jun 11, 2010
west yorkshire
thats weird because my mechanic refilled the gearbox oil from the top of the gearbox with a bolt with a plastic grommet type thing on it been driving like that since so that must be the refill hole

1.6 leon 51 plate

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.