Clutch Pedal Stuck To Floor... Sticky Cable?

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
The other day, while stopped at a roundabout, my clutch pedal stuck to the floor!! I think it's a sticky cable as i eventually freed it by pulling it out with my foot...

I know the pedal can stick to the floor for other reasons, but if it's one of those reasons then it should stay stuck, no matter how hard i pull on it, shouldn't it? Or if it does become unstuck you shouldn't be able to select any gears should you?

I've driven the car a few times since and, touch wood, it hasn't happened again, so do you think it's just a sticky cable?

Thanks for any advice offered.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
If it's a Tdi (looking at your profile it is) i'd say it was the clutch master cylinder starting to fail

My last inca van used to do this and i just hooked the pedal up each time untill it gave up completely

G223

Dec 6, 2007
Mine did this after the last gearbox change, turned out the clutch cable, which has a special bit in it for making it easier to remove was shagged, its permanetly closed now so the cable has too much length in the inner core so 1 jumbo nut at the housing later everyones happy again

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
If it's a Tdi (looking at your profile it is) i'd say it was the clutch master cylinder starting to fail

My last inca van used to do this and i just hooked the pedal up each time untill it gave up completely

gets my vote - or at least needs bleeding - usually a sign fluid is seeping past the seals

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Something to bear in mind. If i'm lucky the pedal just got stuck on the mat... I doubt it though with the luck i have with cars!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members