radio code problem

cornishbloke

i had to disconnect the battery last night to weld an exhaust bracket back on.

re-connected the battery and radio wants the code. standard fit radio.

i followed the instructions in the manual, and it has cocked up. read the next page and it tells me to do it anotherway, not the original way i tried.

now the word 'safe' is displayed with a '2' next to it. the manual says this will stay on the display, manual calls it 'waiting intervals'. going on to say 'as long as 'safe' is on the display, the waiting interval is not over. it has finished when the number of the next attempt appears e.g. 2 1000.'

does anyone know how long the 'wating interval' lasts for?

cheers everyone

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Mine was about an hour, leave the radio turned on keys out of ignition and car locked.
The translation of the manwell is certainly lacking.

Dom Sweeten

Jan 19, 2002
Gloucester
Just did mine.
Radio on ("Safe" displayed)
Keys out, locked car.
Returned about 45mins later and it had gone from "Safe" to "1000" enabling me to enter the code again.

cornishbloke

thanks chaps, your advice worked. only trouble is, i tried putting the code in (the original one which came with the car), pressed and held the 'pty' button to hear the beep like the manual says, but it takes me back to square one and have to wait for another hour for it to clear.

when clear, my display reads '2000', its still alows me to enter the code :confused:

jtonline

www.jtonline.info
OK, before I start, don't have a go at me coz I'm only trying to help, but I do have an Ibiza not a Leon... ;)

I think you might be getting confused with two different operations that are described in the owner's manual. Well, there are two consecutive sections in my Alana manual anyway.

The first section about security coding talks about activating the code. By that I mean it's for telling the radio whether or not you want it to ask for a code or not when the power gets interrupted. You set this by entering the code and pressing the PTY button. Which is what you've been trying I think.

HOWEVER, to make the radio work after an incorrect code has been entered you need to read the section headed 'New start-up' on the next page.

You have to wait until the safe interval has elapsed, then enter the correct code and then press and hold the SCAN key until it beeps, not the PTY key. Safe is then briefly displayed and the radio works once more.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
This is out of the manual for the AURA cassette version, i copied the same for my cd version too.

dscf0001li5.jpg

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
thanks chaps, your advice worked. only trouble is, i tried putting the code in (the original one which came with the car), pressed and held the 'pty' button to hear the beep like the manual says, but it takes me back to square one and have to wait for another hour for it to clear.

when clear, my display reads '2000', its still alows me to enter the code :confused:

Oh ek! This is exactly what happened to me. Found out that the code in the book was not the code for the radio in the car - even though the car was bought from a SEAT dealer. Cost me £42 and a four hour wait at a different dealer for a new code..[:@]

leon291155

Jan 11, 2006
Hey mates..every one will be happy if :
1st: press and hold PTY button until you enter the menu
2nd:search for the word safe or code,if the word is CODE dont change it if the word is safe
3rd:enter the four digits you got with your car and press PTY then it will changes to CODE after that..even if you disconnect the battery again it wont ask for the code ;)

leon291155

Jan 11, 2006
yes :( ... but if its locked with the safe code and stolen .. also you wont gain anything it will be stolen anyway so its better to remove the safe in my opinion .. each one has his own point of view ;)

cornishbloke

reference to jtonline message: which button is the 'scan' button, its not written on the radio and cant find it in the manual?

cornishbloke

reference to jtonline message: which button is the 'scan' button, its not written on the radio and cant find it in the manual?

i have the standard fit aura radiocassette cd changer

Last edited by a moderator:

jtonline

www.jtonline.info

i have the standard fit aura radiocassette cd changer

Yeah, apologies, I have the SEAT Alana model not the Aura model.
Please disregard my first message.

If you've entered the code and used PTY to confirm and it still hasn't unlocked the radio, then I think you may have the wrong code for that radio and will need to visit a dealer :(

sl1ck

Hi everyone!

I have a Seat Ibiza 2005 with the Alana radio.
I had to disconnect the battery and now I should enter the code.
I enter the code, press the PTY button and nothing happens.
No beep, no safe message.
If I turn it of and on I get the same 1000 on the screen.
Any ideea why doesn't it react?

Thanks!

sl1ck

So I tried with holding the SCAN button and it works.
Nevermind the user manual where it shows with a picture to push PRG :)

melat0nin

Aug 4, 2016
Yes the button is scan, not pty. Can't believe the translation is so wrong, I was about to order a new radio!!

(Sorry to necro this thread, but I thought I should confirm this in case it helps anyone else)

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.