dump valves

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
hi guys,
i have seen on here that apparently dump valves on diesels are a complete waste of time.

now i don't want to seem cocky or anything cos i don't mean to be but when a dump valve hissess it is because it is dumping the waste gasses. correct?

well if a dump valve hissess on a diesel that would mean it is getting rid of gassess so surely that means it is working so surely tha means they are good to have?

am i right in thinking this or got the wrong end of the straw lol

T. Spark

Wrong end of the straw indeed, wiki diesel engine please and tell me how a DV would benefit it, and come back :)

Mar 8, 2007
The hissing noise on a diesel is pissing away boost - aka performance.

Just to look like a pillock, which you look like on a petrol with one never mind a tractor

T. Spark

well that i posted a thread on here. Arn't forums supposed to help and inform people.
if everyone used wikipedia what would be the point in this website :D

Mostly with opinion, hands on experience and knowledge out of the norm.

Something as simple as this, a search would do on here, or wiki ;)

So got your answer yet?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
ibizadoyle don`t take it personally the others are just pulling your leg. Petrol and diesel engines work in totally different ways so what applies to a petrol engine very oftern has no bearing on how it effects/works on a diesel engine.

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:D I like to keep as low a profile as possible.Nothing worse than drawing attention to yourself i think.

WWWWWHHHHHHIIITOOOOOOOOOOOSH!.:redface:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Cut-and-paste of one of my older answers to this subject

The blowoff valve or dump valve is present in a turbocharged petrol engine to prevent damage to the throttle and turbocharger compressor and to reduce turbo lag.

Petrol engines have a throttle mechanism which restricts the flow of air between inlet (turbo-compressor) and the engine combustion chamber, necessary to keep the air-fuel mixture in the ignitable range while controlling the engine's power output. Both mass of air taken in and fuel added must be carefully controlled.

When you close the throttle on such an engine the compressor is still pushing air into the inlet and it suddenly has nowhere to go. The overpressure could deform a throttle butterfly, and will inevitably slow the turbo down due to back pressure (thus also putting more back pressure on the exhaust), leading to turbo lag when the throttle is opened again. The solution is to provide a pressure-actuated valve, which reacts to an excessive difference in pressure between the two sides of the throttle, opening and dumping the excess pressure to the ambient (dump valve) or back into the inlet (recirculating blowoff, which does a much better job by equalising the pressure on both sides of the turbo). Without this, throttles and turbos would have to be much more heavily engineered and throttle response would suffer.

So dump valves are about throttle response at gearchange and other sudden transient events, not about performance in the leadfoot top-speed way of thinking.

The need for a dump valve is a weakness of turbocharged petrol engines, putting another contraption in the inlet side which disturbs the gas flow and is a point of failure. I find it mildly astonishing that anyone should be proud of their car farting on the overrun. But then I run a diesel so I'm probably disqualified from having an opinion.:shrug:

Diesel engines have no throttle. Power output is controlled by the fuel quantity injected at each stroke. Gas flow around the compressor-combustion chamber-turbo impeller loop is always uniform. This makes diesels much better candidates for forced induction.

A dump valve can only do harm to the performance of a diesel. Turbo wastegates are not dump valves, they limit the pressure on the impeller (exhaust) side of the turbine to prevent the turbine from overspeeding when the engine's gas flow becomes too high i.e. at high rev's. The higher-performing VAG turbos use variable-geometry inlet vanes and have no wastegate.

To respond to your specific points:

now i don't want to seem cocky or anything cos i don't mean to be but when a dump valve hissess it is because it is dumping the waste gasses. correct?

No. There's nothing "waste" about the compressed air coming from your turbo. The dump valve farts to reduce the excess pressure on the throttle plate.

well if a dump valve hissess on a diesel that would mean it is getting rid of gassess so surely that means it is working so surely tha means they are good to have?

Diesels don't have throttle plates and so don't have dump valves. You can fit an aftermarket dump valve simulator to a diesel, but it will make the engine response worse, not better. There is a lot of technical evidence that points to a risk of long-term engine damage as well.

am i right in thinking this or got the wrong end of the straw lol

There is no straw.

There is style, and there is substance, or usefulness. A noisy dump valve is a style choice, it has no usefulness on any diesel engine.

MODS: We need a sticky on this topic, one which includes Max_torque's excellent technical exposition from http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=107507&postcount=57

Last edited:

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
thanks guys!!! sum more than others ha ha oj

that my question aswered so now when one of the all the gear no idea boys tells me to put a dump valve on her i got an answer to shut them up with

thanks again

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.