The Final Straw - windows completely soaked on inside

Penfold

May 18, 2007
For the last week, when I have got in my Leon, the windows are completely soaked on the inside and takes forever to dry out with the blowers. Has anybody else experienced this or am I on my own here. I was thinking of taking it into the dealers, as the only time I have seen this before was on my mk1 leon, which suffered from the famous door seal problem!

FRLeon

Full Memeber
May 12, 2007
Northants
Hi my leon is doing the same and its starting to get on my nerves aswell so if anyone has any suggestions let us know apart from takin it to the dealers but i hate doing that as they not very reliable

Penfold

May 18, 2007
The Final Straw

Unfortunately, after todays latest visit to a Seat stealer, when the time comes to trade the Leon in, it wont be for another Seat.

Been in today to discuss about the wet windows and massive amounts of condensation that is in my car, and that is also present in many others.

After initially agreeing with one of the service guys for the car to be taken in and inspected, his boss comes down and says there is no point, as we will be wasting 2 days of both of our time. After I questioned why he would not take the car in for inspection, he promptly replied that Seat do not recognise that there is a problem unless there is obvious water leaks, ie, puddles of water in the car. He went on to say that there is nothing that can be done as they wouldnt have a fix for it anyway.

I would not let this go, as I stated to him that if every dealer took the same attitude, then the problem will never be resolved as no-one is prepared to look at it. The problem may not be visable on my car, or the next, or the one after that. But eventually they may come across one with the problem jumping out at them. He basically wasn't interested and gave me the old line of the doors cannot be completely water sealed etc etc and that all VAG cars are the same design and have water on the inside of the windows when you wind them back up. This, as he says, is normal!!!!!!

Over the last 6 years I have owned the following

2 Ibizas, 3 Leons, 1 Alhambra and 1 Altea.

During those 6 years the level of service and customer support has steadily decreased to the point we are in now where the dealers and Seat UK have no interest.

Its a real shame as the Seat brand could, and should be fantastic with the designs they are currently coming out with, but I for one will not be spending anymore money with them. I have said all this before and come back to them again and again, but this time, I really mean it.

daveclayton

Sep 22, 2008
wakefield
its ashame when you've been loyal to a brand when they dont want to help. had the same thing with dm keith skoda. after sales was awful. hope you find a good replacement for the leon

DICEYUK

I had this problem but they (MK Seat) fixed it FOC & without query - they said it was common and that there was an authorised fix for it - improved seals I believe. Anyway, it's fine now

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Unfortunately, after todays latest visit to a Seat stealer, when the time comes to trade the Leon in, it wont be for another Seat.

Been in today to discuss about the wet windows and massive amounts of condensation that is in my car, and that is also present in many others.

After initially agreeing with one of the service guys for the car to be taken in and inspected, his boss comes down and says there is no point, as we will be wasting 2 days of both of our time. After I questioned why he would not take the car in for inspection, he promptly replied that Seat do not recognise that there is a problem unless there is obvious water leaks, ie, puddles of water in the car. He went on to say that there is nothing that can be done as they wouldnt have a fix for it anyway.

I would not let this go, as I stated to him that if every dealer took the same attitude, then the problem will never be resolved as no-one is prepared to look at it. The problem may not be visable on my car, or the next, or the one after that. But eventually they may come across one with the problem jumping out at them. He basically wasn't interested and gave me the old line of the doors cannot be completely water sealed etc etc and that all VAG cars are the same design and have water on the inside of the windows when you wind them back up. This, as he says, is normal!!!!!!

they are fobbing you off , there is a SEAT technical bulletin about this fix.
complain to SEAT customer care about the dealer and request that your car is booked in and fixed.

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Penfold,

I called Seat today about this 8/12/08 and the guy on the phone mentioned that someone else had phoned him up today with the same issue. The guy I spoke to was called James at Seat, did he speak to you ?

If so PM me as I have the same issue with the windows and dealers.

I am waiting for a call and hopefully a fix for this as Seat where unaware of the issues !

Worst thing is that in this cold weather ice forms inside the car as well as out side due to heavy condensation on the windows. The story your dealer tells you must be a scripted thing as this was the same retort my dealer feed back :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Penfold

May 18, 2007
Iendicott,

Not sure of the guys name, I was too busy fumung at the response I was getting from the stealers.

Considering the dealers are saying there is no fix and seat uk no nothing about the problem, there repsonses seem incredibly scripted and similar in every way.

The only way I can see to get this issue finally recognised by seat is to either :

1) All call Seat UK customer care at the same time so that every single call they receive for the day is about the wet windows,

or

2) Arrange that everyone with the issue meets at there local dealers at the same time, so that they can explain to everyone there in one go that they have never heard of this problem before, that this is normal, and finally, it's rare for there to be a problem with condensation.

Surely, if one or both of these actions are taken, then Seat and the stealers would have to admit a problem and get the problem rectified once and for all.

On a side note, has anyone ever been told that they would have to pay for the courtesy car from the stealers, I was quoted at £11.50 per day.

Retain

On a side note, has anyone ever been told that they would have to pay for the courtesy car from the stealers, I was quoted at £11.50 per day.

Admin charge for insurance apparently. Must be lucky I guess... dealer always mentions this to me but never charges it. :)

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Yepp as already said the £11.50 1 off charge is "admin", luckily we live about 5 mins from the dealers and to be fair that drop us off and pick us up if the car needs to go in.

I am awaiting a call from Seat tomorrow so lets see if they now have uncovered the fix.

Ewan

May 7, 2008
Wet Windows

Hi

The solution is obvious if one of you guys can get hold of the SEAT technical bulletin on this subject and publish it on this site, then we all can simply print it out and take it to the dealer, they can't argue then and they will have the info they need to get the cars fixed;)

Concho

Jan 6, 2008
Southport
I'm getting the same on my 08 FR TDi, and also got it badly when I had a mk1 Leon. Think they'd learn their lesson wouldn't ya?? I'm going to take it in to my dealers as soon as I get a chance, which I doubt will be very soon!

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
this is the only major-ish downside to my mk2 so far (58 plate fr tdi), front and rear windscreen often completely misted up / condensation inside, takes ages to clear with blower on full and heated rear screen. a work colleague of mine has an 08 plate and his is doing exactly the same. folk all around me jump in their cars and off they go ... not me :( sitting there like a chump for 5 - 10 mins until screen clears. and yes i've got one of those sponge things for clearing screen, sometimes can't be ar5ed using it!

does the dealer fix take away this issue or just side windows? my side windows tend to be okay-ish, it's the front and rear that i'm having the issues with.

i've just completed the seat questionairre, needless to say i didn't give the mk2 10/10 :whistle: i'll prob hold onto it for the 3 years but already know i won't be crying into my cereal when i change it.

Last edited:

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Well, Just had a call from Seat Customer Services and the Lady there is still unaware that there is an issue with the windows, I have to treak over 30 miles to Cambridge to get a second opinion.

Does anyone know what the technical fix was for this so I can pre-empt the visit ?

Maximus2000uk

Has anybody emailed Irfan or Seremotors to see if they can get hold of the technical bulletin at all - seeing as they're dealers, they may have better access.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Yepp as already said the £11.50 1 off charge is "admin", luckily we live about 5 mins from the dealers and to be fair that drop us off and pick us up if the car needs to go in.

you having a laugh?

You shouldnt pay a penny.
i have had courtsey car for warranty work five times since july of this year , no charges at all.

Penfold

May 18, 2007
Penfold,

I called Seat today about this 8/12/08 and the guy on the phone mentioned that someone else had phoned him up today with the same issue. The guy I spoke to was called James at Seat, did he speak to you ?

If so PM me as I have the same issue with the windows and dealers.

I am waiting for a call and hopefully a fix for this as Seat where unaware of the issues !

Worst thing is that in this cold weather ice forms inside the car as well as out side due to heavy condensation on the windows. The story your dealer tells you must be a scripted thing as this was the same retort my dealer feed back :rolleyes:

I have received a call back from Seat UK today, and yes it was James I spoke to. He advised me that there is a techical fix from Seat issued to the dealers for this exact problem. He has told me to go back to the dealers and give them the following number:-

TPI2017192/1

Told me if they would not do anything then to return back to Seat UK and they will deal with the dealers refusing to accept the problem.

Hope this helps everybody out.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
you having a laugh?

You shouldnt pay a penny.
i have had courtsey car for warranty work five times since july of this year , no charges at all.

Courtsey cars are generally free for warranty work but some garages do charge for courtsey cars for a say a service.

I've known others that give you the car for free but the insurance isn't as straightfoward.

My SEAT dealer for example had 3 options:

Insure the car yourself (some companies charge for this off your own policy)
Go off their insurance free of charge but with £1000 excess
Pay £10 to go off their insurance with minimal excess

My Toyota dealer at one point could only provide chargeable insurance as they'd had two courtsey cars crashed in a week.

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
I have received a call back from Seat UK today, and yes it was James I spoke to. He advised me that there is a techical fix from Seat issued to the dealers for this exact problem. He has told me to go back to the dealers and give them the following number:-

TPI2017192/1

Told me if they would not do anything then to return back to Seat UK and they will deal with the dealers refusing to accept the problem.

Hope this helps everybody out.

Penfold,

Wow good work detective..

I will speak to my stealer about this to tomorrow [:@]