adjusting handbrake cable

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
hey. since having my new rear discs and pads put on, i get a lot of play in my handbrake, and its not working properly.

the handbrake can be freely moved about an inch or 2 without it clicking or the handbrake light coming on.

after that, i have to pull it as far as it'll go to grip!
is there any way or me adjusting the cable myself??

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
just remove the trim around the HB - you can adjust the cables with a couple of 10mm open ended spanners

enbracefan

Handbrake

Hi,

i had the exact same problem but on my 05 Mk L/C/R

I ended up having to buy a new drivers side rear caliper due to caliper handbrake
adjustment leaver holding on and sticking all time thus not great braking or grip on handbrake.

you can also adjust the handbrake cable underneath the rear cigarette ashtray by pulling it out should reveal the handbrake adjusters inside gap. IF NOT THERE it will be under the centre console where handbrake leaver is e.t.c

Hope this helps!!!

arron2004

Cupra Boy
Mar 1, 2007
Nottingham J25 M1
cus i had same problem on mine that much play it failed mot i just did as mork said and passed right through! they only annoying bit is getting the clips back on, on you gearknob gator if that makes sense

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
its fine. i know what clips your talking about, and i've had that off alot of times, i've mastered the art of it lol.
i'll give it a go tomorrow hopefully, if the girlfriend gives me enough time to do it!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.