Base seat cover removal. How to!

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
As requested a small write up on how to take seat out and remove lower cover.
You will need:-
Torx drivers
Cross head screwdriver
13mm socket
Small extension for above
Pliers
Small flat screwdriver
Your seat Airbag will be disconected for this Do Not Turn on ignition while seat is out or you'll get an airbag warning light, preferably disconnect your battery!!

In the rear footwell there are 2 cover over seat runners, remove the plastic screw covers and undo torx screws, your left with this,
72.jpg

Next under the front of your seat remove the 2 13mm nuts, you'll probably need a small extension on your socket cos the floor is an odd shape,
73.jpg

Now push the seat all the way back and out of the runners, then tilt it back so you can see underneath, you'll see a yellow plug (or more if you have heated seats) disconnect it and the white clip that holds cable conduit, I used a small flathead to press clip on white piece,
74.jpg

75.jpg

You can see two parts in this pic,
76.jpg

Now your seat if free and can be lifted free of the runners, the best way I've found to get it out of the car is sideways, be warned they are both heavy and unwieldy, a friend at this point, helps (or just laughs when you drop it),
77.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
part two.

With your seat now sitting pretty in the lounge (wife is out) remove the small cover on the front and crosshead screw,
78.jpg

then underneath undo torx to remove handle, this isnt strictly needed but helps rebuild,
81.jpg

The inside plastic panel will now just unclip, push edge down to remove.To remove outer plastic, gently lever off reclining handle,
83.jpg

Then under plastic clips on height adjuster handle 2 torx screws to remove,
84.jpg

So handle comes off,
85.jpg

Underseat look for a plastic barb thing and pull it to remove,
86.jpg

Then crosshed screw on front

82.jpg

Now the plastic side cover can just be unclipped.

At the back of seat on base there is what looks like a seam but is 2 plastic stips pushed together, gently pull apart,
87.jpg

Now around the base push the cover down to unclip plastic strip from metal base,
88.jpg

The foam base with cover still on will now be free from metal base.
89.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Last bit

Now it gets tricky so take your time, the cover is attached to the foam by wire rods, 2 at the side and 2 running across, they also give the nice defined crease on you seat, gently pull or push the 2 side wires from back of foam,
90.jpg

Then the front of same wire be careful though cos it is still held by red plastic clip in the center, dont pull this hard it may come away from foam, gently push wire into clip ie into foam and use thumb to push clip side ways off wire,
92.jpg

Do this for both both side the middle wires, unclip ends first then the red clip!
93.jpg

Slide the wires out of the cover and bung in the washing machine (wife still out), I used hand wash cycle 25 degrees but i think any low temp gentle wash may do the job!

And in the best tradition of the Haynes manual to refit do the above in reverse but fit wire end first then push sideways into red clip.

I've tried to point out all the snags i can in this guide but please follow it at your own risk, if come monday you cant get to work cos there is no seat in your car, then its on your head!
Now any questions and where's the tea!!! :D

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Great post Pete, my seats are looking a bit tatty and could use a wash, reckon I might take this on when I'm off work for a week.

TINCAN

Mar 27, 2006
MK
Does the full seat need to be removed for the seat foam base to be replaced? I guess by your above superb procedure it has to be as per above.

Last edited:

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
does this work for leather seats too, mine squeak like f:censored:k from the base somewhere, cant get in to oil em!!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Most seat leather seats were electric so it'd be a little more complicated, and leather seat covers are very tightly fitted (the cloth seat covers have alot more stretch in them) be warned if you want to remove the leather covers - repairs are not mega expensive if you burst the stiches but if you burst them beyond repair of rip the 'j' clips off then a new leather seat base from seat is £257 and thats cost price!!!!!!

I was after a leather interior for mine so i thought i'd price one up through a dealer and it was £2500+ without fitting (front bases £257 x 2 = £514, seat backs £529 x 2 = £1058 etc etc) - NO THANKS!!!

nuts

Feb 6, 2006
Leeds
My passenger base seat cover was £136 inc vat. Still waiting to get it but contemplating getting an upholsterer to fit it because I want it doing right.

Smartiemnx

Italian Smoke Machine
Dec 10, 2005
Glasgow
www.clubmonox.com
My passenger base seat cover was £136 inc vat. Still waiting to get it but contemplating getting an upholsterer to fit it because I want it doing right.

Saw a "But it now" on ebay for a whole seat, £65.......

I'm pretty annoyed about the fact that my car has Just done 30K on a 55 plate, from new, and the drivers seat is about to wear through on the side supports on the base..... Now I am 6'2" and 16 stone, so not morbidally obese by any means, but I have had cars for 3 plus years before, Seats, Renaults, Fiesta vans with 100k plus and have never had this issue before.....

Surely this is poor manufacturing. Does anyone know if Seat will admit to this..... What are the Audi A3 seats like for example.....

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Saw a "But it now" on ebay for a whole seat, £65.......

I'm pretty annoyed about the fact that my car has Just done 30K on a 55 plate, from new, and the drivers seat is about to wear through on the side supports on the base..... Now I am 6'2" and 16 stone, so not morbidally obese by any means, but I have had cars for 3 plus years before, Seats, Renaults, Fiesta vans with 100k plus and have never had this issue before.....

Surely this is poor manufacturing. Does anyone know if Seat will admit to this..... What are the Audi A3 seats like for example.....

Same thing happening to mine,but to be fair it has 100k on the clock,£136 seems steep as hell for a poxy base seat cover doesnt it?:blink:

SJB

Awesome guide, just fitted a new foam seat cushion to the base of my drivers seat, looks brand new!! There is nothing like a firm side boulster!!

Tonoa

That's a great guide and I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to get the backs off! Sorry.

I'm trying to replace my front seats (leather, electric, memory) and I've followed the guide (which is superb btw), but the damn things won't be pushed back?? Any ideas? The bolts, setup, runners are exactly as described but I cant push them back. Is there anything else I need to do? Spent ages scratching my head :think:
The car is a Toledo V5.

steve_eod

I have a spring that was found in my pasanger footwell after a long drive, looking at your pics i now think i know where its from, could you look at my ( people in the know Help please) post and confirm this for me? cheers in advance.

steve_eod

i will be puting a pic of the sprin on when i have completed 20 posts!

prowla

Hi.

Does the cover for the back of the drivers seat (Leon 2004, fabric) come off easily?

Some of ours' stitching is coming apart, so I'd like to take it off and sew it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise