Jenk's purple mk2 track hack...Im sure it hates me

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Alot of people will remember this....
DSC02297.jpg

After 18 or so months of selling it I had a text saying I could have it back for a decent price, after popping round to see the old girl the deal was done and it was returned to its place on the drive.
DSC_0299.jpg

I had my mind set on an mx5 as a track toy but when the opportunity came up to have the mk2 back I some how couldnt refuse :doh:

Mechanically its in very good nick (touches wood), 105k and it starts on the button and pulls how an 8v should. The body work is getting abit shabby shall we say, theres a few scrapes and dings, bird cack stains and a nice dent on the rear where a beer van decided it would like to mate with it. Theres only very minor rust bubble on one of the rear arches which is very good for a mk2 this age......I swear preface lifts hold up better against the worm.

Ding!
DSC_0296.jpg

The Plans.....
Since having a go at curburough sprint track in my mk4 derv I have fancied doing abit of sprinting, seems a nice friendly, cheapish kind of motorsport. The 2.0 8v should be a pretty decent motor to get me into it and learn how to drive :whistle:

First things first, tomorow I shall be striping down the arches and removing all the crap in hope to stop the rot. Big tins of black metal paint and krust will be on the cards. Think I may have to raise that suspension too :happy:

Any advice on what I should be doing prep, restoration, modification wise is much appreciated.....aswell as pushing me to get out on track ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Havnt been on cgti lately, any idea if theres places left? That was a nice day last time around, be good to have an SCN one.

Cheers guys, lots fo work to do!

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Is the plan just to take as much weight off it as possible then?
Sprints sound like good fun to me!

Ollie

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Might have to put my name down for curby, see if I can get the mk2 insured. Cheers bud!

Yeah Ollie, weight loss for now along with some other bits as and when they pop up. Got crazy ideas of a supercharged 1.4 engine at some point.

Cheers Andy, didnt get the tele's back though :happy:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
well done jenk, get it back to the former glory you got it before! weather it be on track or road

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Today I have mostly been removing years of crud from my rear arches.

Before
DSC00183.jpg

After :)
DSC00184.jpg

Check the mess out, I would encourage everyone to remove their arch liners and have a good scrub.
DSC00186.jpg

Not sure if im going to put the liners back in, they just seem to store crap. Thinking of chopping them up so I just have the rear bit that attaches to the rear bumper. Thoughts?

Also I removed an old alarm unit, still need to get all the wires out. When unbolting from the strut it pulled away a chunk of rust and made a nice hole :doh: I have given the surrounding areas a good whack and all seems solid, just need to fix the hole.

DSC00187.jpg

Cheers :)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Looks like im doing my first little outing with CGTI at the start of april, will be paying up tomorow. Cheers for the heads up Ian ;) Just need to sort out my insurance :doh:

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Cheers bud, I really wanted an mx-5 but just couldnt refuse having it back.

I'm driving an MX-5 at the moment, but can't wait to get the Ibiza back on the road!

Good progress so far though mate, i'd love mine to be Iris Purple.

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
Some nice work there must be good to get her back.

Doubt it will take you long to get it back to mint condition.:)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.