CHIPEX

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Ibiza » Ibiza Mk4

Ibiza Mk4 For the 2002 - 2008 model

Old 29-03-2009, 14:40   #1
Goose-Wingman

Goose-Wingman has 10 points
Passenger door won't open from the inside

Hi everyone,

Finally got my Seat Ibiza 1.2 yesterday, and it's brilliant. Except for something I'm beginning to suspect is a fault... After the central locking has been activated - manually or by driving off - the front passenger can't open their door, even when I'm stopped and I've unlocked all the doors from the driver's side. I have to get out in an act of ridiculous chivalry and open the door from the outside - and even then I sort of have to push the door handle inwards before I can.

Initially, I thought this was some kind of child lock, but there doesn't seem to be any system like that except for the rear seats. Is it broken? Is it something I could easily fix? Is there some way to use diagnostic software to stop the central locking from kicking in when I drive the car? Because, if the door hasn't been locked, it's still openable from the inside.

As you may guess, I don't know a massive amount about cars. I'm worried this annoying problem could be expensive to fix. Obviously I'll be contacting the garage I bought it from tomorrow and having a go at them, and I'll look into the pathetic warranty they offered... But any help would be very much appreciated.
Goose-Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 14:43   #2
CJRamze
Proud Seat Owner

CJRamze has 10 points
And they said Chivalry is dead.
Now to be honest I'm not sure to be honest I assume its something electrical personally I'd take it back to the garage
CJRamze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 16:32   #3
cupra.al

cupra.al has 30 points
i couldnt get my passenger door open atall from the inside or the outside a while ago. took it to seat and got a new door catch on warranty. havent had the problem since.
cupra.al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 18:33   #4
richardcupra
Jon44w.com

richardcupra has 10 points
Pull the inner handle twice.
richardcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 18:39   #5
Nath.
The Gentlemans Express

Nath. has 100 pointsNath. has 100 points
^^^^^^as said, once the 10mph auto lock has kicked in you need to double pull the inside handle to open the door. the 10mph auto lock and double pull can be disabled by vag-com or a dealer.
Nath. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 19:08   #6
Ol' Timer

Ol' Timer has 10 points
Alternatively press the Unlock button on the driver's door which unlocks everything, including the hatch. As has been said, the passenger needs to pull the door handle twice to open the door themselves.
Ol' Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 21:14   #7
Goose-Wingman

Goose-Wingman has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Timer View Post
Alternatively press the Unlock button on the driver's door which unlocks everything, including the hatch. As has been said, the passenger needs to pull the door handle twice to open the door themselves.
Cheers for the advice, but I've already tried that and the old double-pull doesn't work. Which makes me think it could be a mechanical problem - but one I can hopefully still resolve with VAG-COM just by disabling the central locking/deadlocking at 10mph. Any other hints or tips most welcome. I'll be sure to update if I get to the bottom of this in case it helps someone.

By the way, this does seem to be a car that's prone to all sorts of little annoying problems. I suppose SEAT/VAG think they can get away with it because it's so sexy and fun to drive. They are, of course, right.
Goose-Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 15:37   #8
ScottHmk4
Do it.......Do it now

ScottHmk4 has 10 points
tbh i think if your remove the passenger door card u might find the hook which goes over the handle on the inside has probz came unhooked and this causes the door not to open from the inside, mines has done this b4 wn i had the door card off. hook it back on and be careful it doesnt unhook again putting the door card back on, can be a bit futtery but that will at least show if that is the problem
ScottHmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote