Flashing Coil & Engine Management Light

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
On Thursday i got in my car an the Coil was flashing with the usual 'engine fault...' & limp mode. I had to go to work so i just put up with it.

Coming home from work i turned it on, and again the same. I turned it off and back on and the coil stopped flashing, no limp mode, but my cruise control wasnt working. Out of curiosity, when i stopped at the lights i turned my engine off then back on and ding, coil flashing again.

I didnt use my car over the weekend but went out and turned the engine on and the same, coil flashing.

Got up yesterday morning for work and i turned it, this time no flashing coil but the engine management light it on, and limp mode.

Got Seat Assistance out, AA came out plugged his laptop in and the fault code was "Turbo/Supercharger Sensor Failure" something of that nature anyway. He managed to clear the code. I then took the car into the dealers with the AA for inspection.

A few hours later i got a call saying the car was just regenerating the DPF, this has never happened before and i dont think it would be practical to go into limp mode every time the DPF is regenerated? Have i been fobbed off by the dealer as the AA have already cleared the code??

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
+1

i have the same fault and its been in to the dealers 7 times now, in again on thursday and i have told them i dont want it back until its fixed.

Next step is Watchdog or Trading Standards!

if you find what the problem is let me know (obviously it could be something different)

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
There was a thread a couple of months ago with the same problem- http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170732

I had it on my 08 FR TDI and was in an out the dealer - everytime it came back with a leaflet on the DPF. I had to get a bit uppity with them and said I was no mechanic but knew it wasn't the DPF. Ended up being a faultly sensor and loose wire. Would ask the dealer to do a little more than plug a laptop in and do some proper invesitigating.

Last edited:

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
So basically i have to get the car back then watch this space?!

3rd time in the dealers now in 6 months, 4 sensors replaced in 4400 miles :headhurt:

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
There was a thread a couple of months ago with the same problem- http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170732

I had it on my 08 FR TDI and was in an out the dealer - everytime it came back with a leaflet on the DPF. I had to get a bit uppity with them and said I was no mechanic but knew it wasn't the DPF. Ended up being a faultly sensor and loose wire. Would ask the dealer to do a little more than plug a laptop in and do some proper invesitigating.

I got the same :rolleyes:

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Three hours after picking it up and its the same

Arrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've got to drive to Newcastle in the morning too

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Exhaust gas temperature sensor fault.... had it myself .. affects DPF regeneration ... as it cannot tell how hot the gases are in the exhaust to ensure a proper regen occurs.

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
Guess what thought mine was fixed no problems since November time and yesterday morning it was back!!

It's in on Tuesday and won't be happy if doesn't come out fixed - on speaking to the dealer I was met with it could be the DPF - I highly doubt this as the last journer before the problem was around 30 miles of which probably 28 of them was on a motorway at 70.

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
I've had 4 sensors replaced in my DPF already, but i dont believe this is a problem with my DPF

I think i'll try a different dealer, see what they come up with?

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
Right then - Just had the AA out as had the same flashing coil light come up :-S

Limited power to say the least. Got the following code from their software PO546 Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor - Back to the dealers on Monday it goes...

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Mine happened again on Thursday & Friday

Im booked in to a different local dealer on Monday morning, see what they make of it?

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
AA said categorically that the DPF was not at fault...

I have to drive the car to Cardiff and back on Monday AM - Not looking forward to that :-S

I will update you with what the stealer says on Mon...

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
Exhaust gas temperature sensor fault.... had it myself .. affects DPF regeneration ... as it cannot tell how hot the gases are in the exhaust to ensure a proper regen occurs.

IYO is this a result of remapping ?

I have had the REVO map on mine and in reality had nothing but problems since - I am thinking of asking them to remove and restore...

The AA guy said that the DPF is so that the vehicle comforms to EU regs so I currently think the DPF off option will not be legal i.e. invalidate MOT's and hence insurance.

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Well my car appears to be fixed after a visit to Warrington SEAT.

Apparently it was faulty wiring to the ECU, G31 Fuse (?) and a boot pipe was loose so i had a loss off pressure?

Hope its fine!

pacm0n

Dec 15, 2008
DERBYSHIRE
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I had this today.

Went to my car after work, started it up and the coil light was flashing. Spoke to my local Seat dealer and they asked me to take it into them straight away. I told them it was like driving a car with a moped engine in it so would take me ages to get there. (plus I was worried of making it worse) They then told me to ring Seat Assistance.

Spoke to Seat Assistance and fair play to them AA was with me within 30 minutes, which I thought was pretty good service.

Anyway the AA plugged the diagnostics tool into my car and a fault came up to say it was a dodgy sensor. AA found the sensor took it out cleaned the contacts and put it back in and hey ho the car is now running fine. AA seem to think that it had either got dust on it or it wasn't making contact correctly.

Just for other peoples reference the sensor he took out was the one to the right of the engine but before the battery sort of on top of a thicker pipe. (I will take a picture of my engine bay tomorrow so people can see which sensor I am on about) AA said it monitors air intake???

Anyway its OK now, fingers crossed it will be OK for the long trip from Nottingham to Windsor on Saturday :confused:

My Golf needed a new 'air mass sensor' the other month, which sounds a lot like what you describe. I didn't have any lights/warnings, but I'd noticed hesitation at high revs and the garage immediately recognised the problem and changed it out. Saying that, it developed another intermittent fault immediately afterwards which was the final straw and I've now chopped it for my shiny new Leon FR. :)

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
My Golf needed a new 'air mass sensor' the other month, which sounds a lot like what you describe. I didn't have any lights/warnings, but I'd noticed hesitation at high revs and the garage immediately recognised the problem and changed it out. Saying that, it developed another intermittent fault immediately afterwards which was the final straw and I've now chopped it for my shiny new Leon FR. :)

Have you the got petrol or diesel ?

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
The AA wouldnt touch anything on my car, they just told me to take it to the dealers!

My car has been fine since the new wiring loom went in (touch wood)

pacm0n

Dec 15, 2008
DERBYSHIRE
Well......I thought all was well with my Leon.....I thought wrong......

Today, yet again I got the coil light flashing, engine management light and limp mode. Called Seat Assistance again and they got the AA out to it straight away (15 mins!).

This time the fault code was: "P0236 Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Faliure".

AA towed me to my local Seat dealership and sorted out a loan car for me. Just waiting for a phone call now from Seat tomorrow to let me know what the problem is!!!

Great car when its working as it should :whistle:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise