Factory tinted windows - not enough

Phobia

Hello,

My Leon has factory tinted rear windows. The factory tint is pretty light to my taste and I would prefer a bit darker shade. How does the Seat do the factory tints, are they darker glass, or do they have a coating film?

Ie, what is the easiest way to get a bit darker tint? If there is already a film on the window, I'm probably out of luck?

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
the rear tints are in the glass cant change it. Tinting your windows that much on the front would make them illegal, a legal window tint it hardly noticeable what so ever

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
He is from Finland so may have different laws? Just like in Dubai - locals can have 100% tint, where as foreigners can only have 40-60% tint.

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
i'd imagine... if u wanted to do so, you could apply a film to the back ones.. after all, all it wud do is make it darker?

heres mine runing a dark smoke on the back and a light on the front..

3513334147a9749307270l.jpg

May 13, 2007
got mine tinted as above
you can have the rear windows as dark as you like in the uk
but the front ones are actually tinted as dark as they can be and still be legal
had my front window done light smoke as well to darken down a bit from factory
but you take your chance with the law chris

bizzaboy

If you do tint your rear windows to a darker tint, with less light coming into the car, the front sides will naturally appear darker.

On a side note, on my previous car (Mk4 SEAT Ibiza), I had all side windows a light tint with the rear window dark - in the 4 years of ownership not once did I get pulled over by the police, also the car sailed through every MOT without a mention of the window tint - perhaps I was just lucky! :confused:

Phobia

Thanks for all the responses. The law is different in Finland indeed - unfortunately towards wrong direction. Here you can have back seat windows and rear windows completely non-transparent if you like, but front and the windshield is another story. You actually can tint them aswell very slightly, but the problem is that it is illegal to apply any film to them - so only way to tint them legally is to use darker glass itself -> it is too expensive for the effect.

But what I want to do is to tint the back windows a bit more. I have 80% tints on my wife's A3 and it looks perfect on a black car and it has also nice effects other than just the look - when parking to a sunny spot, turning the rear towards the sun will keep the car much cooler inside since quality films will drastically reduce the sunrays effect. Also, it's much nicer for our child to travel on the child seat on the back, when he is much less dazzled from the sun. Yes, I know I can put all kinds of suction-cupped sunfolds with nice pictures to the back window, and no, I'm not doing it :)

So my actual question is/was, can I apply film to the factory-tinted back windows, ie. do they have already films on them from the factory. If that would be the case, another layer of film wouldn't probably stick on very well. But if the glass itself is darker, I can obviously add a film layer to it - I think 50% films on top of the factory tints would be perfect for me.
I understood from some of your replys, that this would be the case, and the back windows could be tinted more by applying films on them, but I'd like to be sure before driving to a local tuning shop and making fool of myself (it's much nicer to do it on the internet :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have been told that the factory tinted glass has a tinted film between 2 laminated layers of glass. I would have thought you could add another film if you wanted to.

Surely the comments about the legallity of front and front/side windows are superfluous, only a numpty would darken the tint on those windows and take a chance on not seeing a pedestrian or cyclist (or even some old fart driving on sidelights) in low light conditions. There are times when trying to look cool just makes you look like a ****!