1.8t project

zander999

Right boys and girls its time for me to get rid of the old abf engine in my mk2 and go for some boost. i've decided to do the common conversion and drop the 1.8t in since it couples nicely with the existing gearbox and isn't too heavy on the pocket.:p

Any tips from anyone that has done the conversion out there? be nice, i'm new on the forum lol

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
People round here like you to use the search function :)

There are a number of threads on here about 1.8t conversions Roly and MartinM both have 1.8t's I think beezertart is in the process of putting one in a mk2 golf.

Other options would be a VR6 (seattoby and another couple of done that) or supercharge it like chrisdaman did to his 1.8 16v

whats wrong with your abf anyway?

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
turbo your abf? that's rare! most people do engine conversions, but like chris supercharged his 1.8 it was much different!

when i get alot more fundage/older i'm thinking of turbo'ing my abf! something different!

zander999

turbo your abf? that's rare! most people do engine conversions, but like chris supercharged his 1.8 it was much different!

when i get alot more fundage/older i'm thinking of turbo'ing my abf! something different!

um no... i'm not gonna turbo my abf, i'm taking it out, i have a friend thats done that though, a lot of issues lol

abf's a lovely engine to be honest, but its lacking power, supercharging is a nice option but.. not a significant power gain there

question is what do i do with the abf when its out? will it fit in my 106?...hmmm..lol

Last edited by a moderator:

zander999

yea i'll probly sell the abf after i've got hold of the new engine and taken what i need off it

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
um no... i'm not gonna turbo my abf, i'm taking it out, i have a friend thats done that though, a lot of issues lol

abf's a lovely engine to be honest, but its lacking power, supercharging is a nice option but.. not a significant power gain there

question is what do i do with the abf when its out? will it fit in my 106?...hmmm..lol

soooorrryyy for giving ideas lol jeez

well i like a challenge so might super/turbo mine!
(chrisdaman got 220bhp out of a 1.8 16v, and with a bigger charger/pulley he could get even more!)

yeah just sell the abf if you get a conversion, i was told by a scrappie that the engines are in demand in the US, they sell the engine for £700 to the US, so look into it!

zander999

thanks i've seen all those, i've followed the builds on all of them they are top notch all of them:)

i have failed to mention a small detail though, the car isn't in the uk , its where i grew up and live in the summer, cyprus lol

zander999

defo sounds like one still, but at 1.98 bar at 305 kph? its not an abf anymore haha

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
a seriously strong one if it is that's for sure lol, left comment to stick a tdi box in it - if it's that quick getting to 180 it could probably top 200mph

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yeah i thought it was a tdi box! would be sweet if i do, rarely people turbo abf's, they just put a 1.8t in (not putting anyones builds down, just saying it as no one really does it)
i guess a 1.8t would be less hassle, but i wouldn't mind if it wasn't my daily :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.