Doctor G... the search is over!

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Well where do i begin, my name is James, i'm 28 years old and i work as a design engineer in Colchester. I joined this forum in anticipation of buying a LCR.

After owning an E36 BMW for a couple of years i appreciate the technical information at your disposal when you're a member of a good forum. During my ownership of my E36 i was a member of www.bmwowners.com, it was a fantastic forum and it saved and cost me many thousands of pounds. i would highly recommend it to anyone with a BMW, partically anyone with an E36.

Any way enough chat from me, here are some before and after pictures of my BMW. It was a great car, it taught me the dynamics of RWD and its suffice to say it was a lot of fun.

BEFORE

DSC03247-1.jpg

DSC03253.jpg

AFTER

DSCF1013-1.jpg

DSCF1016.jpg

After driving various turbo VAG motors at work, (TT225 and cupra Mk2) i was mighty impressed with the comfort and the sheer cross country pace. After my BMW broke (once again) i decided it was time for something newer. I considered a wide selection of motors before concluding that the LCR was the car for me. Once i had decided on the car i was after, i began the search.

After only a couple of weeks of searching and sending emails i found the car i was after, after some haggling i handed over £7,600. It is completely standard, with a couple of optional extra's.

Here is a list of the spec:

2005 (Late 54 Plate) Leon Cupra R
Platinum Grey
FSSH
40,000 miles
New full size spare alloy wheel (optional extra)
Factory Fitted Alpine stereo with Ipod lead (option extra)

The car is in very good condition, it has clearly been looked after by the previous owners. The chap i bought it off was only a young lad, this initially put me off. However after chatting to him he was clearly an enthusiast, he told me all the things i wanted to hear, driven gently when cold and cooled down after a long drive etc...

first impressions are that it feel very quick, a very different driving experience to the BMW. It's the first petrol turbo ive owned so im very much in love with the any gear any revs acceleration.

I plan to keep it standard for now (promised the missue i would lol), no doubt this wont last long (it didn't last time around:whistle:). However it's due a service in 2,000 miles and i've just discovered it's due a cam belt change so this will delay the modding for a little while. i've put my name down for the AMD RR day in september, so i can check that she's running as she should be.

here's some picture of her after her first clean

DSCF1573.jpg

DSCF1566.jpg

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

Not quite sure what mods i will begin with, a remap seem like the obvious choice. Im open to suggestion, so feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for read

James

Last edited:

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
recognise that road being a colchester boy to.

keep an eye out for a silver lc with a 1.4 badge :whistle:

thats defo an upgrade on the old zimmer so have fun modding thuis

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Thats a lovely clean Lcr you bought there well done. If you're after a remap I can highly recomend AmDessex.

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Cheers for the comments chaps, there seems to be a few members this side of Essex.

@ Dav3. i've heard some very good things about AMD, Rev also seem highly recommended.

@ The MoffMeister. I'll keep my eyes open for you mate. :D

I've put my name down for the AMD RR day, it looks like its going to be quite a large turnout. I'm hoping to get some ideas for possible mods while I'm there, i wouldn't mind bagging my self a passenger ride in a remapped LCR[B)] Im really intrigued to see how they perform post remap :happy:

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Well if you're down Lakeside before the AmD RR day give me a pm and you've got yourself a passenger ride;)

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
dont forget there is a car place in witham with good reputaton called engine advantages or something, keep an eye on them for work, amd are good but not cheap and dont always look after you just so you know.

cant miss me driving like im in a go kart everywhere you'll have to come along to a meet the essex one or a kent one their a good crew a good laugh to

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
@ Dav3. Thanks for the offer mate, if im down your neck of the woods before the AMD meet i'll let you know. Cheers

@ The MoffMeister. I'm on the look out for a new garage. I have a very good mechanic (mate who's BMW mechanic as well as a VAG enthusiast) who does some private work, he'll be fine for general bits and bobs, mod's etc... but I need the stamps in the service book for my service intervals. so i'll have to find my self a good garage. I'll check them out thanks.

As a note if you need and work done (cheap) give me a PM and i can pass your number on, he's a top notch mechanic as well a nice guy to boot, dare i say it he's more enthusiastic about cars than i am, and i'm a car bore through and through. A quality i like in my mechanics.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
AmD can sort your service's out and they will stamp your book, Looking forward to seeing you at the RR day.

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
AmD can sort your service's out and they will stamp your book, Looking forward to seeing you at the RR day.

I will look into the cost of a service, thanks. Will be nice to put some faces to the cars at the RR meet.

Seeing all the cars at the RR meet is bound to lead to me spending money i promised the missues i wouldn't.... ah well best make sure they cant be detected by the untrained eye.:lol: a remap springs to mind ! [B)]

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Thanks chaps :D

seems like everybody is buying a platinum lcr at the moment?! they are prettty damn nice to be fair...just not quite as nice as the black ones:whistle:

LOL initially i thought it was a reasonably rare colour... how wrong was i.:lol: Every one and there dog has one!

I did seriously consider buying a black one, it was between black and Plat'. But i saw this one first and i just had to have it. it ticked all the boxes.[B)]

I was a little concerned by the stories of swirl marks, i would've had to have it machine polished if i did buy one though!

filbro

Jun 23, 2008
Derbyshire
Nice motor James - and yes you have these best colour, end of!
Those calipers look really tidy. Guessing previous owner did the refurb??
A lot are pink by now.
Think you have got a nice example thats been cared for. Good stuff!

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Nice motor James - and yes you have these best colour, end of!
Those calipers look really tidy. Guessing previous owner did the refurb??
A lot are pink by now.
Think you have got a nice example thats been cared for. Good stuff!

Cheers fella. It would appear they've already been refurbed at some point which is handy. They're not perfect so i will re do them at some point soon. ;)

It’s a very tidy motor, the previous owner obviously really looked after it. Its by far the tidiest motor I've ever owned, I absolutely love it. :)

There are few things that need doing, I’ve booked her in for a cam belt and water pump for next week and a full service at the end of the month. It's going to be an expensive month that’s for sure.:doh:

I'm driving to the south of France for two weeks at the end of October so i didn’t want to chance it with the cam belt and water pump. The Missue has promised me an AMD / Revo (cant decide which) remap for my birthday so its not boring preventive maintenance.:funk:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members