Drifting to the left.

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
I think i broke my Ibiza.

Recently i have noticed that my ibiza has started pulling to the elft when cruising straight.

I got the tracking checked out and its 0.5 of a mill out, so its not the tracking.

I know ibiza naturally drift a little, but i'm not sure how much drift that is.

Also noted that when i drive in a straight line my sterring will is not straight. i have to turn it ever so slightly right.

Any thoughts coments.. things to check.

Mar 8, 2007
go somewhere else to get tracking checked, steering wheel sounds like alignment,

also check your tyre pressures

nanapez2

I also have to tilt my steering wheel a tiny bit to the right as well.
I took it back to SEAT a couple of times in the past to get it tracked and it still has that problem. They told me its common:blink:
Havent had any problems though so I wouldnt think its broken

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Yeah i checked tyre pressure and as mentioned the tracking is only out by 0.5mm.

Yet another "common fault" with the mk4's..

That list will be into double figures soon... fit for purpose anyone :D.

I'll have a look at getting the alignment checked.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
its a feature of the mk4 every one i have driven has pulled to the left. i have had the alignment done on mine 4 times and it has never been cured

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Yeah, mine pulls to the left quite a bit... didn't know it was a common problem. Going to a digital wheel alignment place tomorrow to get it checked out.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Yeah, mine pulls to the left quite a bit... didn't know it was a common problem. Going to a digital wheel alignment place tomorrow to get it checked out.

im guessing you need to get it set to pull to the right to make it drive straight. mine has had laser alginment and it says its steering straight but its not

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
thanks for the replies guys seems i'm not alone.

I'll add it to the list of things that need fixing.... :(

H

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Have you guys had the wheel angles checked at full lock on both sides? IIRC if one side has a larger difference between the wheels at full lock then the car will tend to wander in that direction, it also means that, asuming that things aren't bent & you have unequal lock, the steering is properly centred. Also you might just be fighting general torque steer of the cars drive shaft setup.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
I find the tracking seems to get knocked out quite easily by little potholes as the Cupra has quite harsh suspension. Had my redone when in for a service as they noticed tyre wear and they made it worse.

Just had it done properly on Tuesday where I get the Scooby done on some 3D alignment machine where you can see all the camber, castor, toe, thrust settings etc and now its spot on again. Only thing out is the Camber on the rear near side but its not adjustable. Car turns in really well and so far doesn't pull on flat smooth roads. Slightest bit of camber on the road is another matter tho!

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Had mine done on Tuesday for £28. Showed that the toe was out on both sides (negative and positive), but both were cancelling each other out so no wear was being caused. The car seems to be driving better, although now the bloody steering wheel doesn't want to be quite centred.

The garage said to let it settle for 3 weeks, then return for final adjustments.

Seanboy89

My Car Also Drifts To The Left, Not By Much And My Steering Wheel Is Fine

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.