Ape's LCR225 Thread (Getting Back on the Road)

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
Modification Index and latest photo's of the Car:

Specification
2005 Leon Cupra R 225

Fitted:
AP Coilovers, lowered 35mm front and 30mm rear
18" Standard LCR Alloys (powdercoated red) with Yokohama Parada Spec 2 Tyres
Rear stripped, inc full size alloy spare, kit, seats, trim. 57kg saving so far with more to be removed
K&N Open Cone Filter
Turbosmart Dualport Recirc Valve
New OEM top mounts all round
OEM rear discs and pads
5mm spacers on the rear to widen track
Red Bits :p
TRS Tow Strap with custom mount (Thanks Techie :thumbup:)
Forge Motorsport Turbo Intake Pipe
Liquid Gauge (Diagnostics / Sensor Readouts etc)
Fabia Rear Wiper Conversion
Flat Front Wipers
Club Vinyls
Adjustable NeuSpeed Rear Anti Roll Bar (28mm)
Vibratechnics Gearbox Mount
Vibratechnics Engine Mount
Dogbone Mount Poly Bush
Forge Motorsport Front Mount Intercooler
Oil Catch Tank with hosing etc
BlueFlame Turbo Back Exhaust System with Sports Cat
3/4 size front plate
Remap on 21.08.10
Poly Bushed Wishbones
Goodridge Braided Lines
Ally Bells for 2 piece rotors
Calliper Spacers
330 x 28mm rotors
DS3000 Pads
Bolt Kit
RBF 660 Fluid
Undertray and Side Pieces
N249 bypassed and gubbins fully removed

IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

Last edited:

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
So...

I sold the 206 exactly 4 years after I bought it, to the day! :blink: I then started looking for a decent Evo 5 but only found one in the time I was searching, and unfortunatley it disappeared before I could get hold of it, (family first refusal and all that). Thats when my good friend HillaLCR and I got chatting and he wanted his RX8 back on the road, and I had the 206 money burning holes in my pockets.

The LCR is in cracking condition, all history, receipts etc and I've worked on it myself with him, fitting the AP coilovers etc. It isn't massively modified, so perfect for me as I like to tinker with cars myself (I rebuilt the 206 engine, suspension and often messed with the engine). Modifications are the AP Coilovers, and K&N Induction Kit, Polished Charge Pipe along with a few Nurburgring graphics.

First up was to give it a good wash and a coat of Collinite 915s which got it looking like this:

DSC_0253ed.jpg

DSC_0293ed.jpg

DSC_0299ed.jpg

DSC_0308ed.jpg

DSC_0312ed.jpg

I removed the Nurburgring Stickers as I've not been, and having the stickers without going is sacrilage!

The next morning I looked at the N249 Bypass (on here as it happens). Hilla had planted the thought in my head, so a trip to Halfrauds to get some ties and joiners and 10 minutes later it was done!

Before
DSC03350.jpg

After
DSC03351.jpg

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
My OCD got the better of me today so I attacked the engine bay:

Before (Gearbox)
BeforeGearbox.jpg

After (Gearbox)
AfterGearbox.jpg

Before (Bonnet Hinge)
BeforeBonnetHinge.jpg

After (Bonnet Hinge)
AfterBonnetHinge.jpg

Before (Fuel Rail)
BeforeFuelRail.jpg

After (Fuel Rail)
AfterFuelRail.jpg

Before (Sensor next to Head)
BeforeSensor.jpg

After (Sensor next to Head)
DuringEngine.jpg

AfterSensor2.jpg

AfterSensor.jpg

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
A few more of during / after the initial clean
AfterBoostPipe.jpg

AfterEngine2.jpg

AfterEngine3.jpg

AfterEngine4.jpg

AfterEngine.jpg

Fuel Filler area was done as well, along with arches, door shuts, hinges, all rubber seals. Next up - Interior!

Each week when it gets cleaned I clean another part of the engine, there's a few years of grime built up so it takes some shifting. Bumpers will be coming off soon for a clean behind those too.

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I noticed that the rear wiper likes to scrape and looks fugly, so a bit of hunting on here for a cure, and a look on ebay, soon saw this soon arrive:
WiperPackage.jpg

Genuine Vag Parts too, I'm a bit impressed :lol: I was expecting pattern parts.
WiperParts.jpg

conversion done, took 20 minutes. 18 of which was talking to a neighbour :lol:

Nasty standard rear scraping wiper:
BeforeRemoval.jpg

Wiper Removed
WiperOff.jpg

Finished Job
FabiaConversionFinished.jpg

And thats the story so far. I would like to get the R to 300bhp or so and leave it at that. It's lowered about 20mm on the front and 30mm on the back (or so I think), dont' want to go lower really.

Modifications in the near future:
Get HillaLCR's old plates back to him, and put my own private reg (B14 APE) on
Neuspeed Front and Rear ARB's
Full 3" Turbo back exhaust (with sports cat) - Blueflame I've heard good things about, any thoughts or suggestions?
Remap (again, unsure who to let loose on it)

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
Nice car mate maybe i should clean mine soon. Have heard alot of people saying about Collinite 915. Been looking at using zaino on mine as about time it got a machine polish. Little unsure about the wheels but as youve said marmite.

Keep up the good work though and look forward to seeing more

Mark

Nef

Looking Rather Dappa
Mar 30, 2009
Cambridge
Strangly really like the red wheels, top job mate :D

cars looking lovely, looking forward to your next installment.

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I'd recommend the Collinite, its by far superior to anything I've used in the past, 1 coat lasts a good 6 weeks. It still beads for that amount of time with washing at least once a week. I'm building up the coats each week as well, something I've always done.

I'd love a Megane R26R, but I've already experienced french build quality :lol:
The red wheels choice is because you see anthracite, black or white wheels everywhere now, and I think the contrast will be ace, I wanted to do it to my 206 but it was the wrong colour, and by the time I'd bought this beauty Renault had stolen my idea!! Although I won't be putting plastic windows and taking out the stereo! :p

Car's booked in next week for the wheel refurb :D can't wait! Then its time to pick an exhaust and remap.

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
quality is really good cant fault just a few problems that they promised were never seen before but all sorted as for gains unsure as still to get remaped and on a rolling road but feels alot smother and acelerates better i feel. will give you a pm