Brake discs and pads

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
Hi guys,

My discs and pads need replacing, I've been seeing what the options are but right now all I can see is the ebc greenstuff combo, I saw a thread where someone had some Tarox F200 discs but can't seem to see these anywhere, even on the Tarox website, they only appear to have the MK1 Leon.

So, has anyone gone for anything different that the dealer fitted ones?

Any reccomendations would be appreciated!

Colin

Poverty

Im in the process of doing this at the moment.

Just doing my research on the sub ject first before I commit myself.

What model leon?

Right now its between tarox, ECS and EBC.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
it's the 2.0 TDi FR 170.

Was at AMD today and apparently they all need changing..........

no idea who ECS are but I've been looking at the EBC Ultimax discs and red pads.

I like the Tarox ones too but couldnt see part numbers or anywhere that sold them specifically for a MK2 Leon. I know the parts are shared with a Golf but after looking at the EBC site it all got a bit confusing.

was also looking at the black diamond ones.....

Poverty

it's the 2.0 TDi FR 170.

Was at AMD today and apparently they all need changing..........

no idea who ECS are but I've been looking at the EBC Ultimax discs and red pads.

I like the Tarox ones too but couldnt see part numbers or anywhere that sold them specifically for a MK2 Leon. I know the parts are shared with a Golf but after looking at the EBC site it all got a bit confusing.

was also looking at the black diamond ones.....

Black diamond are good,

Tarox

http://www.venommotorsport.com/tarox-brakes.

or

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_manufacturer.mhtml?category=brkes

or

http://www.larkspeed.com/

Tell you what mate, if you want some tarox ones, I can email them and see maybe if me and you both go for them they can take some money off? Ive saved money that way with AMD and Blueflame lol.

If I cant get money off on tarox ones I bet I could save a nice sum on ebc ones.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
yes mate sounds good to me, think Tarox would be the first choice but obviously they cost more. But yea, if you do email them and they come up with anything decent let me know, as I said I need the lot!

Poverty

yes mate sounds good to me, think Tarox would be the first choice but obviously they cost more. But yea, if you do email them and they come up with anything decent let me know, as I said I need the lot!

Yeah me too mate, came proper unexpected only had the car 9 months from new :blink:

Also these stupid cupras dont come with pad wear indicators for some reason, they are unplugged and I have ruined a disc now and the car is being kept off the road.

What tarox discs you after? f2000, g88, japan sport?

Im confused by the tarox range so gonna ask them what the difference between the discs are. Dont want any discs that dont bite as good as OEM when cold tbh.

Did AMD recommend any pads? Im gonna get some ferodo ds2500 I think.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
I've done 32k in mine.... I thought the pads would need doing but was a little suprised about the discs, oh well.... thats me bombing it around the north circ every day I suppose.

F2000 I think although maybe the G88, as for pads.... don't think I'll go for the Tarox Corsa pads :blink:

I haven't really read about pads yet but am in the process of doing so now..... before I head out to watch saw 6!

Poverty

was only gonna do the fronts + pads but ill see what the price is for the rears doing aswell.

Im gonna stick with stock for rears, but will do some enquries about rears also.

Will see if I can rope some more people into this.

Saw 6 was actually an alright film btw.

Poverty

Ive got another person who is after some discs now so hopefully that should give us some nice leverage to get a discount. Should hear back from them on monday.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
Ive got another person who is after some discs now so hopefully that should give us some nice leverage to get a discount. Should hear back from them on monday.

ok good news, if everyone's just getting the front one's then I'll go along with that if it makes life easier (and stick with stock rears)....... thought getting both done would look better though!?

Poverty

ok good news, if everyone's just getting the front one's then I'll go along with that if it makes life easier (and stick with stock rears)....... thought getting both done would look better though!?

Well there are some manufacturers who sell cars with drilled or grooved brakes on the front only, but if you also want rears it can only help to get us a better price. But I will see what they say.

is this for EBC?s big brake converts?

No not big brake conversions, just uprated discs .

Poverty

Quick update, couple emails sent, also doing research on the subject.

Drilled ones are more prone to cracking typically, although not always 100% true, it dependes on how the holes are made and what material the discs are made of.

The tarox G88's are good discs but will eat pads more quickly.

Now also looking at two other makes of discs which might work out better for us.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
Quick update, couple emails sent, also doing research on the subject.

Drilled ones are more prone to cracking typically, although not always 100% true, it dependes on how the holes are made and what material the discs are made of.

The tarox G88's are good discs but will eat pads more quickly.

Now also looking at two other makes of discs which might work out better for us.

ok, tbh I was after groved ones really as I was aware about the possible cracking of the drilled ones, although of course depends on production and materials and what not.

i'll carry on doing some looking around too and maybe drop some emails here and there. Should I hear anything positive i'll of course post back.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
I did a price check for disc and pads for yellow stuff and upgraded grooved > 350 :) heh yellow stuff and red stuff was only 3-4quid difference but yea bit expensive aswell this is for both sides rear and back (for TFSI Sport)

Raffles

Jul 17, 2007
Staffordshire
Hi, sorry been working away. Will take photos and post asap. To recap I had the Tarox F2000 grooved and curved discs fitted with Tarox Stratos fast road pads. Not sure about the discs but the pads are for the Audi A4 3.2. Was supposed to have front and rears but they sent the G88 discs for the rear. These were supplied and fitted by Awesome Gti Manchester. My rears are now in stock so will be going back shortly to have them fitted.

I had the same problems as you in that I could not find discs or pads listed for the Mark 2 Cupra. Would suggest you contact Andy at Awesome who can source the correct size discs and pads required. From memory I could have had the G88 or Jap sports but decided the F2000 were what I wanted.

Bearing in mind that only my fronts are done at the moment I can say that I am very pleased with the results. Initial bite takes a fraction longer when cold but is hardly noticable and could well be the 'placebo' effect and in my imagination. However now that they have bedded in and I have been able to lean on them I can say that they are an improvement but the main benefits will not show until I get back onto a track.

Will post some pics this week of the fronts and keep you posted once the rears are on. To be noted though that these are not that cheap. I had the KW Varient 1 coilover kit fitted at the same time and not sure of the cost breakdown but that and the front brakes was £1500. The rears are £350 so would estimate around £800ish for front and rears.

Regards

Raffles