Project Bi-xenon retro fit *Now with installed pics*

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
be intresting to see what these turn out like... i've got a feeling its going to be a waste of cash for you.

If you dont get that projector mounted soild then they lights are going to be flickering up and down like mad... hell, even the stock reflectors move..never mind a bodge up job :lol:

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
be intresting to see what these turn out like... i've got a feeling its going to be a waste of cash for you.

If you dont get that projector mounted soild then they lights are going to be flickering up and down like mad... hell, even the stock reflectors move..never mind a bodge up job :lol:

We'll see.
Like I say, it's the first time I've done a proper xenon retro fit, so it might work or it might not.;)

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Update:-
Received the Altea headlamps today & started to remove the front lens............which turned out to be a complete PITA!!
The sealant around the lens is tough stuff. Luckily I have access to some high temperature cabinets @ work, so I popped one of the headlamps in @ 95 degrees C for around 15 mins.
This made it a little easier to prise the lens off, but still took quite a bit of effort.

Turns out, the reflector is easily removed from the housing with 2 torx screws, so my original plan of fixing the projector to the housing might work.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow, as I've left the headlamps @ work.
Should have the projector kit tomorrow too!! :funk:

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Good luck mate, will be cool to see how they turn out. :)

Not exactly a job that on my list to do though...

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Here's the headlamp with the lens & the dipped beam reflector removed:-

101_0345.jpg

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
Is the loom in place for the suspension levelling sensors or will you have to retrofit?

Also, how are you planning to integrate the levelling motor into the headlight unit?

Just intereseted! Most threads i read, people are generally just putting HID bulds in halogen projectors and it's interesting to hear someone trying to do a proper conversion...

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Is the loom in place for the suspension levelling sensors or will you have to retrofit?

Also, how are you planning to integrate the levelling motor into the headlight unit?

Just intereseted! Most threads i read, people are generally just putting HID bulds in halogen projectors and it's interesting to hear someone trying to do a proper conversion...

The plan is to retro fit the sensor, loom & wire to motors in existing headlamps.

Still no sign of the projector kit.:think:
Online tracking says they have arrived in the UK but are sat with UK customs since Sunday 29th.:rolleyes:

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Well, whilst I'm waiting for the good old people @ customs to get their fingers out, I had a play around with my new LED sidelights...................

LEDsidelights008.jpg

LEDsidelights009.jpg

LEDsidelights010.jpg

I've got a resistor kit to wire in, as the load is a fraction of the standard 5W bulbs.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Right, update:-
The projector kit arrived & I was charged £20 for the pleasure of HM Customs to sit on them for 5 days!!
Anyway,

Here's the photos
Bi-xenon Projectors
FXRprojectors003.jpg

FXRprojectors004.jpg

4300K D2S bulbs
FXRprojectors006.jpg

D2S to AMP connectors
FXRprojectors002.jpg

Shrouds
FXRprojectors001.jpg

Should be able to make a start on fitting these sometime this week.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Tried out one of the projectors tonight & all I can say is...........woah!

FXRprojectortest010.jpg

FXRprojectortest001.jpg

FXRprojectortest007.jpg

Bear in mind this was only ONE projector, you can hardly see the other headlights beam.

You can see the blue/violet cut off colour.
FXRprojectortest002.jpg

As a comparison, this is my H7R 5000K HID dipped beam.
FXRprojectortest012.jpg

FXRprojectortest011.jpg

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Looks good John, can those D2S bulbs be wired to any ballast i.e one from HIDS-direct or whatever? Same connecters :) This will be interesting to see what it looks like, if they come out good you should start a business from it :happy:

Danny.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Another quick update:-

Things are going OK so far. It's taken a lot of time, but I have trial fitted the projector into the headlamp & things are looking good!!

I've hit my first big problem though. The shroud I went for is very long & covers the projector lens. The problem is that it interferes with the inside of the headlamp lens.
Might have to cut the shroud down or go for something smaller.

Here's a sneaky teaser............

FXRprojector044.jpg

Last edited:

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Just waiting for the new shrouds from the US.

I tried cutting down the original ones, but they still didn't fit.
The new ones are dome shaped, so will fit better.

In the mean time, I've been working on the other headlamp - removing front lens, reflector & drilling hole ready for mounting the projector.

Oh, & I'm gonna use a bit of carbon fibre sheet to cover the side of the reflectors! I trial fitted it last week & it looks awesome!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.