EPC/Emission Control Lights on - Help!

crhultra

I have a 56 plate Ibiza DAB 1.4 (47k miles). Drove the car first thing this morning and no warning lights were on show. Left the car at my local railway station to commute to work and on my return tonight the EPC and Emission control lights are on. The car has been on an icy/snowy car park all day. I'm also finding that acceleration cut out twice on the way home. Been checking around the forums for ideas and have checked the brake lights which are working fine. Also tried the 6 starts but no joy, the two lights are still on.

I'm going to take the car to the garage in the morning but wanted to get an idea of whether this is related to the cold weather or something more sinister. It seems to be that others have had brake switches replaced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time the car has had a problem in 3 years.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sorry but I don't have any smart or helpful "one liners" - but EPC is usually related to the drive by wire throttle system (EPC = Electronic Power Control). Emissions could be due to a failure with that system or a Lambda sensor failure. As the lights have not gone out, the car must have a "hard" fault. Sorry but not much guidance there, good luck!

Oh, and welcome!

crhultra

Thanks, I might download the diag tool and see what errors get thrown up before going to the garage.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That is okay then, yes its better to know what is being reported write the fault codes down - but keep that to yourself unless things go pear shaped as some dealers don't like VAG COM and they might try to blame your problem on you scanning the car!

crhultra

Did the check first thing today, throttle body problem. Garage confirmed this so feared the worst. However, they cleaned it up and cleared the error. Apparently the part was covered in dirt and all sorts which they suggested may have been down to the snow and ice recently. Drove back home and so far so good but watching the displays like a hawk. £75 for the work done but if the error comes back its £500 for a new throttle body, Stealers, don't you just love em!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Aye, I'm sure that fault/issue will happen to all of us sometime - so far so good, but I'd hope normally a good clean out and a re-alignment using VCDS would fix it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.