Leon Cupra R's... Leon Cupra R!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Seems to be the thing to do these days, so here is my ride!

03012010095.jpg

03012010094.jpg

Mostly standard, except for the mods included in my signature,

Stage 1 Forge Remap
Jetex FC-08001 Cone Air Filter
Forge 007p Diverter valve (currently with green spring - Yellow spring to come)
Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs (which appear to be angled directly at the floor!)

Just been given a service with Mobil 1 0W-40 fully synth to keep her running sweet!

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on the front feet, Michelin Pilot Sports on the back. Currently considering swapping the whole lot for a full set of the same tyres, but not really sure what at the moment! I think money no object, I'd go for F1 Assys, but 4 of those don't come cheap!

Toying with the idea of some suspension mods, maybe a couple of ARBs, as I don't really want to go down the lane of new shocks + springs, as its costly, and definately don't want to lower it, as I have enough trouble getting places as it is!

I expect there are millions of almost standard cars on here so don't expect this to get much attention to be honest, but comments are always welcome!

Cheers

Ben

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Nice car. I've just started looking at arbs as I want to improve the handling but want to keep the oem shocks and springs. I've just bought an r32 23mm front arb and will be looking at getting a 25mm rear bar and s3 front strut brace. I've already got a rear brace which has helped a but but not massively.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Nice, looks like a proper clean example. Great start on the mods. You looking to do much more to the car?

Cheers mate, well, I'd like to go down the route of getting a couple of dials (most probably boost + oil temp) or possibly one of those liquid gauges, also being a bit of an audiophile would look at stereo upgrades (had to sell my previous alpine head unit with the car as factory one was shot!) but just money is the restraining factor at the moment!

Nice car. I've just started looking at arbs as I want to improve the handling but want to keep the oem shocks and springs. I've just bought an r32 23mm front arb and will be looking at getting a 25mm rear bar and s3 front strut brace. I've already got a rear brace which has helped a but but not massively.

Thanks, let me know how you get on with them mate and which one you think gives the best improvement so I've got an idea where to start!

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
If you do a search for arb in the mk1 forum there is a good thread about 6 pages long discussing which arbs are best. Willie has some good posts in there and is def worth a look.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Wahay another Silver one :clap:

You know as well as I do it's the best colour!! haha, I was going to go for a black one until I saw this one on trader and thought it looked much better... There's a bloke at work with a black one, was parked next to it the other day and I have to admit I'm torn between the two now!!:whistle:

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
ARBs and WALK are next on my list of handling mods.

As for tyres, the better you have the better it will handle.

Many people recommend the Vredesteien Sessanta as a great alternative to the F1's.

They are the tyres I will be looking at shortly, camskill out-of-skil for my 18" at mo :(

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Nice car mate looks spot on , hows the cruise working on it ?

Cheers John, was it you who put it on for me? It's working alright thanks mate, made the drive back down to Wiltshire so much easier!

Think the turbo lag might be confusing it sometimes, as if you set it while you're going uphill, it opens throttle to keep the speed up, then when the turbo surges the speed up, it shuts throttle to drop back down to the right speed, then opens to maintain that speed, and turbo spools up shooting up the hill again haha! Apart from that though its spot on!

ARBs and WALK are next on my list of handling mods.

As for tyres, the better you have the better it will handle.

Many people recommend the Vredesteien Sessanta as a great alternative to the F1's.

They are the tyres I will be looking at shortly, camskill out-of-skil for my 18" at mo :(

I ended up going for a couple of Kuhmo Ecstas in the end, as the GSD3s only lasted about 5k miles, figured there's not much point getting the absolute top whack tyres if theyre gunna be gone in a couple of months! paid £188 for pair, fitted, and to be honest, they feel better than the goodyears at the moment! I'm pretty impressed!

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Yea mate it was me that fitted it. its a great mod had mine on for awhile now.

sounds normal what your car is doin while goin up hill it does that when there is load on goin up hills

enjoy it mate cya soon

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Update for anyone interested!

Now running a set of khumos on the front which to be honest I am impressed with - about 10-20quid a tyre cheaper than the goodyears and seem to offer just as much grip! also seem to be lasting a bit longer, but this may be be down to the fuel prices these days and me not being able to afford to cane it!

Upgraded to yellow spring in my 007P which is much better, holds boost a lot nicer now and seems more pokey!

Also tried the N249 bypass the other week, but after the strange noises when dumping (seemed to sound like the beginning of turbo chatter, followed by the dump) changed back. Didn't want to risk my turbo, I think the vacuum reservoir is there for a reason and seems to help the DV open quicker to release boost before it backs up into the turbo, so mine is back to standard now!

Still running on Vpower where I can although these prices seem to be absolutely killing my wallet! Managed to fill up the other day at a cost of £69.50!!!

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Update for anyone interested!

Now running a set of khumos on the front which to be honest I am impressed with - about 10-20quid a tyre cheaper than the goodyears and seem to offer just as much grip! also seem to be lasting a bit longer, but this may be be down to the fuel prices these days and me not being able to afford to cane it!

Upgraded to yellow spring in my 007P which is much better, holds boost a lot nicer now and seems more pokey!

Also tried the N249 bypass the other week, but after the strange noises when dumping (seemed to sound like the beginning of turbo chatter, followed by the dump) changed back. Didn't want to risk my turbo, I think the vacuum reservoir is there for a reason and seems to help the DV open quicker to release boost before it backs up into the turbo, so mine is back to standard now!

Still running on Vpower where I can although these prices seem to be absolutely killing my wallet! Managed to fill up the other day at a cost of £69.50!!!

Have you tried the Khumos in the wet yet? Mate put 4 on his Scooby a few months ago and all was going well until it started raining and he thought he was driving slicks!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
yeah i have theyve been on for a month or two now, dont seem to bad to be honest, although i dont tend to drive like a complete nut when its wet anyway! thinking about it I think maybe the goodyears were a little better in the wet, but in the dry at least the khumos are absolutely spot on for the money, got the pair fitted balanced etc for under 200 quid!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Update again:

Now running the 'boost switch' effectively disabling the N75 to make it a bit more economical when I don't fancy ranting the pants off it! Works quite effectively to be honest!

Installed 6k HID kit last week from HIDs4U which has made a massive difference! Really impressed with it, except for the radio interference which is quite annoying to say the least!

Oh and I beat the record for petrol prices two days ago with a fill of £75 @ £1.25.9 a litre! (yes somehow fitted 59 litres in my tank!) and yes I did nearly cry at the pumps! haha

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Me and a few lads from work are off to nurburgring in october I think, so hopefully sort handling and braking out before then! going to need 4 new tyres, and also new front discs and pads.... then will look at rear ARB if I've got the cash!

Going to be a bit skint though as its car insurance next month and I'm only 22!!!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Alright, nice car.
Theres not so many Silvers on here as the rest of the colours.

If you've never been on a track before with the LCR I'd make ARB's more of a priority than tyres.
The ARB's will allow worse tyres to perform better but without ARB's you will struggle even with very good tyres.
The difference in the LCR with 23mm MK4 R32 front ARB, S3 upper strutt brace and 28mm rear ARB is night and day over the OEM set up, even with OEM 90,000 mile springs and shocks.
Brakes are a good idea, pads and discs change won't be enough without getting the fluid swapped for RBF600 type.
With the ARB's, new discs with DS2500 pads and good brake fluid you'll have alot of fun.
If you don't do the above you will find weaknesses will hamper your fun.
I know its all done to cash, but once its done, its done.
And a trip to the Ring aint cheap, not point in going with a semi prepared car

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Cheers Willie, ARBs that good are they? Yeah, would prefer to get it sorted before I go to be honest, but depends on the cash situation to be honest!!! Like you said, a trip down there aint cheap, so going to be a bit limited as it is, never mind having to do all that as well beforehand! lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members