Revotechnik

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk1

Leon Mk1 Use this forum for Leon specific topics, for 2000-2005 models only

Old 11-02-2010, 08:45   #1
65coupe
I'm too old for this!

65coupe has 10 points
rear door glass removal - Leon Mk1

Anyone know how the door glass attaches to the window carrier in a Mk1 Leon Cupra??

(It's not a screw into the carrier because I can see it - it looks like some kind of plastic push in/push out lug, but knowing how expensive these things generally are, I don't want to force it)

Someone must have done this...
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56   #2
65coupe
I'm too old for this!

65coupe has 10 points
Does nobody know?
Old 11-02-2010, 13:24   #3
Muttley
Catch that diesel!

Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
Never done this, and I have a Toledo in any case. The guides I've seen suggest it is a single expanding plug with a push-fit pin to expand it. Removal seems to be by pushing first the pin and then the plug out of the hole in the window glass. Seat have a special tool to do this, which may also hold the regulator in place, it isn't clear. On removal the bits you've pushed out have to be retrieved from the inside of the door.

It suggests putting the expanding plug in the glass first on reassembly, then locating the plug in the riser guide and sliding the glass down until the plug fits in the riser. Then put in the pin to expand it all. Not a lot of detail.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:01   #4
65coupe
I'm too old for this!

65coupe has 10 points
Thanks Muttley - that makes sense from what I'm looking at. Hope I don't break it!!
Old 11-02-2010, 18:48   #5
Muttley
Catch that diesel!

Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
There is a warning about making sure the internal pin (looks as though it's a spring pin, to put an expanding spring force on the plug) is driven out squarely to avoid breaking the glass. Without the cool special tool, my guess would be that you need to make sure that you apply pressure to the internal pin only, and as squarely as possible.

Oh, and it says to be careful not to put a dent in the door skin as you drive the pin right out!

God only knows how you put the spring pin back in, though. Somehow you've got to stop the expanding plug from being pushed out of the glass. Maybe you can lodge it off-center in the access hole, so that it is held in from the far side, while still giving enough clearance to get the spring pin in??? Best of luck

Last edited by Muttley; 11-02-2010 at 18:50. Reason: clarification
Old 11-02-2010, 21:51   #6
65coupe
I'm too old for this!

65coupe has 10 points
well I managed to pop the inner pin out (without hitting the door skin!!) but I can't get the outer one out. Too bluddy cold today anyway!
Old 11-02-2010, 22:33   #7
techie
Skoda Techie

techie has 20 points
Just remember when refitting you assemble both parts of the pin into the window and just push it down, it locks into place itself.
Old 11-02-2010, 22:35   #8
Muttley
Catch that diesel!

Thanks, techie, the bits I've read are not at all clear. I guess you've done this? I certainly haven't . . .
Old 12-02-2010, 00:42   #9
Al_G

Al_G has 10 points
I've replaced my rear window...

You dont need a special tool all you need to do is line the glass up with the carrier insert the outer plug then bend your hand behind the glass and insert the inner plug from the outside in (if that makes sense). Obviously to do this you'll need to open up the inner door skin enough to be able to reach inside behind the glass...

Cheers
Al_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19   #10
techie
Skoda Techie

techie has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_G View Post
I've replaced my rear window...

You dont need a special tool all you need to do is line the glass up with the carrier insert the outer plug then bend your hand behind the glass and insert the inner plug from the outside in (if that makes sense). Obviously to do this you'll need to open up the inner door skin enough to be able to reach inside behind the glass...

Cheers

You mean when your putting it in? Nah its much easier than that, with the glass out just assemble the pin both parts complete then just slide the glass in and push down and it clips into place.

Yes i've done many of them over the years, its really simple when you know how, once you have done it no problems.