Where is the thermostat Located?

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
I have a 98 Seat Ibiza 1.4 8v and would like to double check where the thermostat is located.

Its on the right hand side of the engine. I can see where the coolant temp sensor goes. Is it in the pipe that goes next to this.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
It is roughly located about the coolant sensor. Follow the bottom pipe from the radiator and you will see a plastic bit with a bolt top and bottom. Remove the 2 bolts (BE very careful if they look rusty!!) and the thermostat is in there.

Is easier to take the pipe off the plastic cover then remove the plastic cover, makes it easier when putting together again.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
thanks for that, I have now replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor, but the gauge doesnt not appearing to be moving much. Goes up to about a quarter and stays there.
Is there a sensor that operates the instrument cluster temp readings.
The car drives spot on so i dont think there is any major problems.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Replaced the temp sensor again from one at central auto suppliesi now get a reading on the guage.
However it still gets stuck quarter of the way up. When I stop it goes up to 90 then stays there for a bit then goes down again and goes back up.
I have already replaced the thermostat from central auto supplies but still am having problems.
I think the engine was replace at about 55k but im sure it was like for like.
So what else could it be