Fluttering / Boost Related?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
I’ve got this odd fluttering noise on my Ibiza. Currently have a Forge 007p, green spring and Revo Stage 2, if I put my foot down, let the boost spike and then immediately come off the gas, I get the fluttering sound, almost like an echo noice if that makes sense? Also get the same when driving hard up the gears, sometimes I get the normal tshh noise but not always, mostly on less harsh driving. This has only come on since I maxed out my boost settings on SPS3, if I drop the settings down then the problem gets eliminated. Am I running too much boost maybe? I have replaced all VAC hoses for decent silicone and the 007p has also just been serviced, piston moves freely and passes leak-back test. Have no engine light or VAGcom errors logged. I am not running the N249 bypass by the way, it’s all plumbed in as Seat intended :)

I realise fluttering may be turbo stall and isn’t good, but I am not sure how to get rid of it!
Any ideas guys?
Cheers…

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Don't think induction kits chatter back, the turbo wastegate does if it stalls. As I said, I get the normal tshhh a lot of the the time, but when puching it I get this diffrent sound like an echoey chatter and I am assuming that it's wastegate, I may be wrong as I have nothing to compare to....!

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Robbie C said:
On a standard k03? Is that reading from a boost gauge?

I'd wind it back a tad and maybe get a log of block 115 to verify how much actual boost you're running

I'm not sure whether a TBA may also help though I feel it's unlikely, but easy enough to try :)

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html
Standard k03 yes, stage 2, Reading from a mechanical boost gauge. Like I say it eliminates when I turn down the boost with my sps3, but I'm after getting as much as I can out of the icle blower :)

Yes good shout about doing some logging, I've not heard of partial throttle overboost you mentioned earlier, isthis common and my symptoms sound related?

ian_jobson

Dec 11, 2005
Medway towns, Kent
the standard spring is technically only good for 8 psi... so thats probably not gonna help the issue, It wont cause over boost just the flutter.

check here http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0007&product=FMDVSU110

From your post though it doesnt sound like your getting overboost its the setting youve got it on... i would potentially turn it down tho. I run mine (completely different set up and bigger turbo but still) at 1.2 bar spiking and 1.25-1.28 and holding 1.2...

Change the spring and knock it down a few notches on the SPS.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
I think I'll try and grab a yellow spring for starters, then get some logging done and maybe drop my boost down a tad... See what the logs say. Thanks for the info guys :)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I'm not sure it will be down to the spring, surely it's the opposite? A harder spring will more likely induce flutter if it doesn't open as readily as a softer one? If you were loosing boost or dumping more often than expected then I'd say it was more likely the spring but this doesn't sound the case, unless I have misunderstood.

I would try the TBA and then get some logging :)

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
I'm not sure it will be down to the spring, surely it's the opposite? A harder spring will more likely induce flutter if it doesn't open as readily as a softer one? If you were loosing boost or dumping more often than expected then I'd say it was more likely the spring but this doesn't sound the case, unless I have misunderstood.

I would try the TBA and then get some logging :)

I was thinking the same, but not knowing about the overboost thing mentioned in the thread if the weaker spring would contribute? I realise a harder spring could cause the valve not to open and in turn cause turbo stall... Out of interest, my N249 isn't bypassed and the DV is opened by the black box, is the vacuum on this box greater or lesser than the actual inlet vacuum? Would I be better getting direct vac rather than this electronic box?

Aug 27, 2010
I'm getting the same all coz of my induction
Kit open filter, I've change my boost by the actulator wound it in car loves it lol

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Rob, did you get to the bottom of this as Im still suffering from the same issue.

Hi Prebs, no not really to be honest. I have since fitted a yellow spring and although the re-circ of air sounds better, I still get the flutter occasionally. I was contemplating an N249 bypass, but I have also read that people get this since doing it. I try an drive around it now, may try the bypass but not sure when yet. Hey perhaps it's actually normal and we are worrying for nothing :) !!

leighwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Don't think induction kits chatter back, the turbo wastegate does if it stalls. As I said, I get the normal tshhh a lot of the the time, but when puching it I get this diffrent sound like an echoey chatter and I am assuming that it's wastegate, I may be wrong as I have nothing to compare to....!

Think your right buudy which isnt good for the turbo