BIGG addicted's Leon FR tdi stage 2+ MORE SMOKE, MORE POKE!! GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Leon FR mods-
.DPF Removal with 3" Milltek system and stage 2 Custom Code software (had)
. 18" Cupra Orion Alloys
. Eibach Sportlines
. BTCC spoiler
. BTCC sideskirts
.Sachs Uprated clutch kit
. KnN panel filter
. Bonnet Bra
. THS shortshifter
. Linea R grill
. Gloss Black vinyl roof
. Gloss black vinyl wing mirror caps
. Gloss black front bumber cupra style
. Anthracite front grill
. Anthracite alloys
. Leon Bootliner
. New custom S H A R K performance remap done by the legend Mikko himself ( Most power on standard PD170 turbo )
. STS switch with option of clean and smokey map
. VAG com

Been on this sight for a couple of years now and have never started a readers ride, so thought i would do one:)
This is me onto my 2nd Seat. The first being my beloved 08 Seat Ibiza fr tdi at 19. Had her since she was new in march 2008, 18 months and 27000 miles later, coming home from work on an unknown back road i had a bad accident, flipping the car 3 times and killing her:cry:
The ibiza had a stage 1 Angel Tuning remap with a smidgen over 180bhp and just under 300 ft lbs of torque, have got RR graphs but not to hand.
After killing the car and having a punto 1.2 courtesy car for a few weeks(absolutly guttless piece of S**T, only succesful car at the age of 20 to kill my back when driving due to what i found to be an unacceptable driving position) i then went onto looking at different cars, ibiza cupra tdi( to similair) Renault CLIO 197, (After test driving no way as fast as the ibiza or the former 182 cup) Focus ST( to heavy on fuel for my commute and insurance over £2600!!!)

After all of these one car really did appeal to me that was pulling my heart strings, the seat leon fr tdi, after previously test driving a standard one when still having my mapped ibiza, it felt pretty slow and peaky, a noticeable loss of power after 4k revs. But beautiful car with descent running costs, and good standard power. I picked her up at the end of August 2009 on a 58 plate, she had been used by one of the seat management team for 6000 miles down south and was just under 6 months old. When i picked her up and drove her off i noticed the serious clout that i had been forgetting about driving the punto, and it just proved to me the gulf in performance, as the leon fr felt like a rocket comparedto the punto by a long shot! And if fair the ibiza was a good bit faster than the leon. After leaving the Arnold Clark gates i went straight down to Angel Tuning and had her mapped, with my brother also getting his fiesta st on the same day! We had a wee gun down the bypass on the way. If im completly honest the fiesta vs the leon, there was really not much in it and to keep the leon going you had to change no later than 4k on the dot. Off of round abouts the leon was a bit quicker but deffo even in a straight line. After a couple of hours my map was on. I had a RR run before hand showing 168.1 bhp and 261.0 ft lbs of torque, after the map i had another RR run showing 201.8 bhp and 320 ft lbs of torque, took her out for a run and my god what a difference!! Really quick and broader power band. On the way down the road my bro's new fez st just could not keep up with the leon falling back 5 or 6 car lengths off of roundabouts.
Unfortunatly after a couple of hours the car started hesitating at full bore when changing gear at 4k revs. This continued for ages, and after failed attempts at resetting the ecu nothing changed, also to top it off my bro's now tuned fez st 181 bhp could keep up with me no bother until reeeeally high speeds. After Vag com logs and everything you could imagine i bit the bullet and after 4-5 months i phoned Custom Code and asked if i could get there Stage 2 dpf delete.
Just before xmas i put her into J.Gracie CC in Bothwell, after a full day out in Glasgow with my mate, the car was ready, Jerry took it out for a test drive as i watch, all i could see was smoke and away!!! He came back up and all i could smell was a mix of diesel, rubber and clutch!!!!!! He said he had ragged the tits off it to broaden the parameteres of the ecu for the car to adapt. Afterwords with a big box with my old DPF pipe and my mate in the passenger seat we were away, i drove like an absolute granny , but the car just seemed to want to pull reeeeally low down and all i heard at about 2.5 k with foot at any throttle was a groaning from the exhaust note and the car wanting to just pull and pull, finally after having a big Accord trying to noise me up my mate told me "don't be such a ***** and go for it!!" So i did, 75 in 5th foot down, and in one swoop we were pinned to the seat and lost the accord in a puff of smoke!!! Literally!
There were problems however..... almost straight away my EML light was on, and cutting a long story short i had to replace all 3 sensors to EGT sensors at £106 each and a lambda sensor at £113. I took the lambda senor to be fitted by Jerry Gracie, and after getting the sensor fitted the car felt even more different!!!! In a good way so aggresive! And with my panel filter in place there was a nice whistling from the turbo spool, and the exhaust note sounding minted!!! Every time you start the car, you hear the low gurgling note from the exhaust and if you stand directly behind it you can hear the difference even more and smell the tractor diesel whiff!!!!
I had the car RR again from the same RR as standard and stage 1, and was very surprised!!! After rolling the car 5 times the results were all within a few hp and ft lbs of each other, the average being 240.6 bhp and 432 ft lbs of torque! 211.2 whp and 394.4 ft lbs at the wheels. Very surprised at results! A lot of boys on the scottish sections have ther e car RR'd at this place all with accurate results when standard and modified!

Since then i have fitted EIbach sportlines and 18 inch Leon Cupra Orion alloys as she came with the standard 17's.

All in all i am very happy with the car. The economy isn't as good as first imagined, i have had her at late 30's to mid 40's on slow runs with no booting and light throttle! But in the same vain i have also had her at 19-26 at one point when giving her a VERY spirited run! I shouldn't complain about this however as with the power, you can mix it up with the big boys and still return twice as much economy!!
All in all i love the leon! It's a sensible car, getting her at 20 (now 21) it's a nice car for a young person, and she can embarass a lot of expensive powerful cars!

Here's a few pics of her guys! Including with Sportlines.

Pic of my Stage 2 Rolling Road results At Henry Roy's Rolling Road
100_0215.jpg

Sitting on Eibach Sportlines
14032010065.jpg

Front facing on sportlines and with chrome surrounds on fog lights
14032010064-1.jpg

Back window of car with some recently added stickers:p
14032010066.jpg

Rear view on sportlines with a bit of black deposit on exhaust:p courtesy of stage 2
14032010061-1.jpg

The car still looks pretty standard, a bit of a sleeper, but still fancy a few mods, probs upgrade my clutch although it is A-ok just now! Also fancy getting a btcc spoiler and was toying with the idea of refurbing my alloys in white!

Any opinions are welcome cheers guys!!!:)

Last edited:

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Another pic i couldn't fit of the car.

Another angle on Eibach sportlines
14032010063-1.jpg

Car sitting on standard springs
29112009025-1.jpg

Last edited:

Craigcts

tidy car mate...really need to see this the next time ur down my way :) shall try and keep a look out for u .

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Good wee write up there mate! :thumbup:

Glad to hear the car is running well now :)

Cheers mate, yeh the car is running well sitting on just over 9k, i've dropped the oil on it about 500 miles ago, my mileage has been cut down by living next to my work in cumnock throughout the week, which is a good thing! How you getting on mate?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Cheers for the comments guys!! I see most of you live relatively near!

Yeh mate the clutch is holding up fine at the minute, might get her upgraded shortly, but as long as i don't boot it under 2.5k i've been told with the smooth power curve the clutch will hold up ok.

What do you guys think about refurbing the wheels white?
Was also thinking about anthracite, and painting the callipers yellow?????
Any comments would be appreciative guys?:)

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Cheers for the comments guys!! I see most of you live relatively near!

Yeh mate the clutch is holding up fine at the minute, might get her upgraded shortly, but as long as i don't boot it under 2.5k i've been told with the smooth power curve the clutch will hold up ok.

What do you guys think about refurbing the wheels white?
Was also thinking about anthracite, and painting the callipers yellow?????
Any comments would be appreciative guys?:)

Alrite bud car is looking good not usually a fan of stickers but the v-tec one always cracks me up :lol:
As for the wheel id go for anthracite they look so much better than white in my opinion
Dunno about the callipers bud :think: maybe red would look good?

Are you home this weekend mate?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Alrite Steve! Naw mate up in perth at my missus, will be back on monday morning. Thanks for the advice mate, i think anthracite would look minted as well! How's the beezer going?

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Shes going well mate still got alot to do to her but money is the problem especially when i have an MOT and service to do within the next 2 weeks :cry:

Me and connie set about changing the discs and pads yesterday got the rears done but got to the front and realised that ive got the wrong pads :censored: so gonna need to order some new ones, the drilled and grooved discs look sweet on the back though [B)] lol!

How do you find the ride with the springs mate? You throwing her around the corners now :p

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
HAHA good good mate, hope you get the new pads shortly! Aye the stance is defo better, and a good improvement in handling, it's far more positive into corners, and the body roll is pretty much eliminated, i have lost it a bit once lol on the back end(tyres were f***ed) and there's no tell tale signs to it happening until it's happened lol! But i am putting her about the corners a good bit more, but in all fareness i'm loving the better stance 45-50mm front and 35mm back. You getting an MOT mate or a service mate?

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
I need both buddy MOT runs out on 11th april and the service is due soon aswell, nightmare how they fall in the same month but once there done its on with the mods :D

Craigcts

Cheers mate, yeh the car is running well sitting on just over 9k, i've dropped the oil on it about 500 miles ago, my mileage has been cut down by living next to my work in cumnock throughout the week, which is a good thing! How you getting on mate?

next time ur in cumnock, gimme a wee pm ;)

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Cheers for all the positive comments guys!!! Anthracite it is then!!!!

I'm in cumnock Monday night, Wednesday night and thursday night mate. It's only on tuedays and fridays i'm back home in Largs:)
So will give you a shout!

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Any opinions from anyone on what i should do to her next?
Got so many things in my own mind, but it's nice to see what others say as well?
Cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members