Fuse/Relay Location - Cabin Fan Blower not working!

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
As noted by some other members, SEATs user manual is useless when it comes to fuses.

As is par for the course on the hottest day of the year so far, my blower won't work so can't use the aircon! [:@]

Does anyone know where exactly the fuse is located so I can check it?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Havent got the info rightr now but cant you just look at every fuse, its pretty obvious when blown? So that means the box in the engine bay, and on the passenger end of the dash.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Couldn't even find the fusebox, fat lot of good the manual is.

Nothing blown in either box, willl have to get it on the diag machine.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Yes I have. Controls are working and it's actuating, can hear it moving around, just no blower!

Techie do you know whereabouts it is? The blower that is!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Blower is under the passenger footwell you have to remove the plastic trim under the glovebox, sometimes the connectors just pop out, worth looking.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
If you have manual controls then the resistor pack can commonly fail but it would still work on full power, I've seen a fair few leons with siezed fans due to water ingress. You can check it by removing the fan and seeing if it turns freely.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Cheers guys.

got the plastic off, cable still plugged in. Couldn't work out how to get to the fan though (i.e. get it out). There seemed to be an all once piece plastic cover. Plus I need to get ready to go out! No sign out of the motor though, and VCDS confirming its delivering 8.2v to it, to no response. Everything else seems to be working ok though.

One interesting potential other problem is with one of the radiator fans - running the diagnostic, made both radiator fans spin up. Actual vs Spec Fan Speed 100% was reported as 84.4% vs 100%. And while spinning up one of the fans made a lot of noise. I guess the bearing has gone and it needs replacing!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The fan just rotates in the direction of the arrow next to it and drops out, might be one small screw to remove first.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Ah, was getting a bit dim by this point, and as it was black plastic mounted on black plastic, couldn't see anything. Also had my legs sticking out into the road which was a bit hairy.

I have a third party warranty on this, so will probably just report the fault to them, and use my diagnostics to make sure its done quickly and efficiently.

Thanks for all your help!

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Anyone know if this is a dealer only part? £245+VAT from my local :cry:

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Managed to fix it for now - got the fan out (turn it as Techie says), was very stiff. 3 in 1'd the bearing / shaft, and cleaned the corrosion off the power connector... I think it must have got damp at some point.

Sounds a little squeaky, but figure doing this will probably work for a fair old while, till I can source a replacement (have found it in Valeo's catalogue)

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
You can get to the bearing at the other end too, it does come out of the retaining plastic, remove the rubber cover to allow the wiring and connector thru.

Search and you will find similar posts.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Couldn't find anything related on a relatively extensive search - maybe I'm not guessing the right keywords.

Motor is back in the car as it was getting dark. I'll look at pulling it out and seeing if I can oil the other bearing at the weekend - looked sealed up pretty tight!

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Cheers. The reconditioning idea is a good one, might look into that.

prikolists

Just fixed my blower by removing it and cleaning the corrosion.

Thanks, Techie.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.