JonnyP's Black LCR 210

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Been a member on here for a while, but never really got round to starting a RR thread, so thought its about time to put up some of the old pics and things that I have.

I’ve previously only driven an 02 Ibiza and to be honest, never really been a car lover. However, one day, I spotted this awesome, aggressive looking car with low stance and fell in love with the way it looked... After a bit of searching, found out it was the LCR, and it became my dream car (Well, dream affordable :D).

Around August last year, I just decided to start looking and eventually came across one on eBay. I’d never buy one like that, so just got in contact with the owner and kept an eye on the auction. The highest bid was over 6k but wasn’t accepted, so I contacted the chap for a visit and test drive. Thats when I found this forum as I was asking about things to look out for (Strangely, no-one told me to use the search button ;)). The test went well and we talked ball park figures. I said 5.5k, he said 6.5...

Then organised to have a second look with the wife, but this time, beforehand, went to the bank and took out 6.2k in cash :blink: Was a pretty nervous day at work with that much sitting in your bag! Went up to Bedford the next day and after looking it through again, we were talking and then I started to whop out the cash on the table... He wasn’t really expecting it, and ended up paying 6.1k, for an 03 LCR 210 with 65k on the clock.

Here’s some pics of the state of it when I got it:

img6395f.jpg

img6396q.jpg

img6400r.jpg

Mechanically, she seemed fine, though there are a number of annoying cosmetc defects that I really want to get fixed. You know, then kinda things you see every time, but no-one else does!

More to follow later when I've dug up some older pics...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
First thing I really spent money on was getting a load of cleaning gear from Halfords, after reading up on this and other forums. After learning how to give her a good clean this is what she can look like when I have time (and the weather is kind)... I'm by no means at decent detailing level, and I can always spot defects that I'm not happy about, but everyone who has seen her thinks she looks great, and people at work tell me not to park near them as it makes their cars look dirty and shite, so thats gotta be a good sign right :)

img7343.jpg

img7345p.jpg

I find it kinda theraputic giving her a clean, and its a nice way to get fresh air too... Shame that she gets annoyingly dusty before I get a chance to even drive her. Also, having to drive the back lanes to Stevenage for work isnt great for keeping her clean (and tbh it doesnt exactly agree with the LCR suspension either!)

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Cheers mate. Well, I've only really done some small cosmetic things (will put them up in a bit), nothing perfomance related as yet. I'd been saving each month into my 'car fund' since I bought it and was planning to get a Custom Code phase 1 remap, as I'd heard good things about the progressiveness of it, but then at the end of April, was driving along and clutch pedal went dead... On a large M25 roundabout

I remember reading about the clutch pedal clip etc so had a look there on the side of the road. No joy, so called up AA and then ended up at a local garage. Ended up doing both cylinders, and becuse they had the gearbox out, the clutch and flywheel too... That stung me for 4-figures, so that was my mod money gone :( havent really got round to saving more now, due to a baby due in August... But I'll get it one day!

But in terms of the future, not really interested in dropping her lower as its a pain to get about in St Albans/Watford/Hemel already due to steep inclines and bumps, but apart from map, maybe the standard handing braces, and a replacement open cone, for the BMC CDA that came with the car, and despite never really having to drive that far... I want cruise control too :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Not as clean as you think, but maybe thats the thing - you see other pics of LCRs and they look mint to you, then when you compare to yourr own, you know all the nitty gritty defects... but nice to know it looks ok to someone elses eyes!!!

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Lovely motor mate, the LCR's look awesome in black. Sorry to hear about your clutch issues. At leasts it sorted and you wont have to worry about it.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Well, might as well add some older pics to the thread to bring it up to date. Starting with everyones favourite first cheap mod... the famous Fabia rear wiper!!! Lol

img7546p.jpg

Well, some people prefer the smaller aero ones, but I kinda like the concealed chunky look, think it matches the rear well. To be honest I never really had any problems with OEM one. It just looked ugly, and well, we all like pretty things right.

Ordered it off ebay as a set but you can probably get it the same price from a dealer too... I still managed to somehow have a problem installing it :) but in the end I wasnt really being cack handed, and it looks fine now.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Well, since buying the car, I'd been happy with the Aura tape and 6CD changer that I had, and was impressed with the OEM speakers. I dont really want a booming car, I listen a lot to trance and well, too much bass kinda kills the music. But, I got a bit bored of burning CDs, so started looking for a replacement head unit.

I'm all for the OEM look, and didnt want anything that looked too out of the ordinary, and iPod connectivity was a must, as thats the main use. What would have been perfect would have been something from Becker (either a Mexico Pro or Grand Prix) but they were a little too out of my price range).

I carried on looking at the major brands like apline and pioneer, but they were all a bit too busy, or didnt do the red illumination how I wanted, so gave up for a bit. Then, when browing the Kenwood website, I came across this Kenwood KDC-6047U. It ticked all the boxes for me, namely:

• Minimal looking
  • Proper ipod connectivity, including browsing of playlists/albums etc
  • Red illumination
  • Not overly expensive

So ended up buying it from here. They were competitive on price online and were great at answering emails quickly - which is a bit of a bugbear of mine when companies dont.

img7392o.jpg

img7397m.jpg

img7395c.jpg

So a pretty basic package in terms of what you get - no iPod cable to connect with, and only soft pouch, no hard case. However, you did get the a full ISO block that makes sure that the pin that messes with the diagnostics is left blank (Pin 3 isnt it?). Also came with a little remote, but never used it to be honest.

Also went and bought the relevant fascia surround off ebay, and the also the bits needed so that the radio signal was amplified. Also had to get another bit for the aerial, because it wasnt really stated if it was a DIN or ISO connection. Placed it in one afternoon off work, was a right pain to get the cage in, but nothing compared to getting the ipod extension to the glovebox... Just couldnt find the right hole (Go on - whos gonna be the most childish :)) to feed it through. After bleeding nuckles managed to get it all sorted. Happy with the way it looked in the cabin, OEM like I wanted, though, dont really like the shiny glass. Why they couldnt have had a matt finish I dont know...

img7541t.jpg

Also took out the 6CD changer, and got a glove box insert from the local dealer in St Albans. Gave it a bit of a drill and chucked a grommet there to feed the ipod cable through, which ended up like this.

img7538f.jpg

Illumination wise - thought that this would be like most other head units, with red text on black background, but after going through all the options, I can across something that would negatise (if thats a word) the display. So red background with black text. Although the red isnt a precise match for the red of the climate unit, I had to used the basic Reg/Green/Blue to get as close as possible to it, and at night, this is how it looks, which is ok by me... Camera doesnt really do it justice, and although its not spot on, at least its not red on black.

img7413hv.jpg

In regards to the unit itself, I'm no audiophile so its fine for my needs and brings the best out of the OEM speakers. The display can be tough to read in the daytime, but you get used to it. Its got decent search capabilities for album/artist but the best thing is that I am only several clicks from my playlists, so I can just sort out what I want at home and then just get to it quick in the car. Theres only one knob, which you turn to scroll through items, and works well IMO. Around it, you have the 4 buttons like on an ipod for menu, skipping/reversing and pausing.

Menus could be better and you can customise the display to be minimal, like in the above pic, or you can have 5 lines, with customiseable infor on it etc. so its not bad in that respect. Theres no amazing graphics, or dolphins (Thank god) and its understated as intended. There have been subsequent upgraded models with a proper colour screen etc, but too much money for what they offer.

The alpine gets banded about a lot for single DIN recommedation, but never really seen this on anyone elses. I think GavFR has the model previous to this but in the main most people tend to get pioneer/sony/alpine. So... any thoughts on this head unit?

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Well, a little present arrive in the post this morning, courtesy of our friends up north... And yes, I know that I could have drilled the existing one etc, but although I'm willing to give most things a go, its just one of those things that I didnt want to risk incase I bodged it up.

img7550m.jpg

img7552c.jpg

Gave the guys at Total VAG a call and they were good, and said to come down and they would fit it for me as they had a bit of a gap to fit me in. Was good to speak to them in person, they seem really sound. Will definitely be heading back there to get serviced and also a few things ironed out. If I can save enough, then will be back there to get a Custom Code phase 1 done :)

img7554z.jpg

The road back down to Hemel is pretty slow (especially when there are tons of lorries there) so didnt really get a chance to give it a real good test. Lee (or was it Greg???) adjusted it just a little bit above the minimum throw, to ensure that there was no notchiness when changing, and happy in terms of the way it engages. Was hoping that it would be a little bit shorter, but overall, much better than it was before. Cant wait to give it a proper test soon...

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Looks nice and clean mate, ill keep an eye out for ya round hemel.

Hah - the camera lies!!! I havent been able to clean her for about a week or so, because its been too hot, and its a pain drying and not leaving water marks when its like that :) I'll keep an eye out for you too... In fact, you werent at one of the pubs down in Leverstock Green earlier in the week were you? I was heading towards Watford via Bedmond and saw a red LCR pulling out of the Leather Bottle carpark. I gave it the 'LCR Owners Wave' but I was a bit far away. Or you blanked me :)

Anyway, just made up an excuse to go get something so that I could give the gears a test. The throw is still as I'd like, but trying to remember what the engaging of the gears were like before. Not sure what people mean when they say 'notchy' but there is just a little bit of resistance before it goes into gear. I'll bet thats how it was before, but probably noticing everything now this is on... Its never not gone into gear, so I'm sure it will be fine. May let it bed in a bit and see if there is any difference. But overall, an 8/10 for satisfaction - makes downshifting multiple gears for fast corners a lot easier

h7 cya

Jun 3, 2009
No dont think that was me mate but am normally around, sound like the quickshift was a purposeful mod. keep up the good work matey,

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Nice write ups, keep them coming

Thanks Willie. I know its not the greatest RR thread there is, some of the ones of the forum mainstays are mindblowing, and this its a bit embarrasing even having this next to theirs (Think 'Waynes World' and 'WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!! :worship:') but the truth is that I dont really have that much money to throw at her at the moment (and for the forseable future too as I have a little one due at end of Aug :D), and coupled with the fact that I'm not the most mechanically minded there is (Few bits and bobs, but lets face it, not gonna mess with something I cant fix if I break it...) but I like to try and take care of her and what little I do I take pride with. Also I know that there are many LCR owners in the same boat, so at least they can see some of the simpler mods that can be done . Glad you like it - appreciated.

that is a nice headunit mate matches the lcr color of clocks

Yeah - thats one of the nice bonuses about it. It was a bit odd that most head units arent like that, seeing as a lot of clocks etc of most cars are black text on another colour. I have to admit I didnt even know it did it, until I decided on the unit based on looks and price, then went to the Kenwood site to get the manual, to see how it operates in regards to iPod/skipping tracks etc (Thats a bit sad isnt it) - only because some of the other Kenwoods, with 2 'rotary controllers' or what we call 'knobs' were a bit wierd. Anyway goign through that, I spotted the 'Illumination' settings and saw it there. Clinched the deal for me. Looks nice, and kinda fits in, and is great for the iPod. For those with the money, there is a later release where the display is much like the one on the alpines (like I think you have) with a higher resolution, but I prefer it a bit retro tbh.

Nice thread mate. Nice LCR you have also! I like the idea of where your ipod is tooked away,is it resting on anything so it don't slide about tho?

I took the picture when I was fitting it hence the emptiness, thought the same thing. I've rested it on the soft cover of the head unit to stop it moving but its pretty much wedged in now anyway.... heres one with the essential things that every LCR owner needs...

img7581s.jpg

From left to right:
  • ODBII code scanner so I can check every couple of days
  • Small flathead screwdriver so I can have a fiddle with things
  • Meguiars Buffing cloth, incase I need to pick up some dust (Cant be having dirt on a black LCR right?)
  • Tissues for picking up the bird crap that seems to be magically attracted to my car
  • Said iPod on head unit cover
  • Driving gloves (ok, they're not for mad driving - just to keep the hands warm :))
  • Sunglasses case

Never thought that I would have squeezed so much stuff in there to be honest - but its actually quite useful

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Keep it up, the more you do the more your confident to do.
When my discs and pads needed changed I spent the money I would have spent getting someone else to do this for me on tools to do it myself

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Yep, thats the next thing that I will attempt myself I think. I already have some EBC discs and some black diamond pads waiting, so just a case of gettting a tool to push the pistons back (As only the rears wind, the front are push right) and then leaving the the fluid reservoir open... Still a bit on the existing fronts, so will wait a bit and gather info :)

I had a good look when I got the front wheels off to do the brembo refurb (which i forgot to take pics of :doh:) so it seems ok. But yeah, picking up more each time I speak to someone, or read something on this forum, so hopefully it'll stick!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members