Cigarette Lighter Not Charging Devices

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Hi Guys

Going on a long trip today so though I would hook up the satnav and get going. To find the satnav wouldnt charge. After much testing i noticed the charger lighjt on the adapter wasnt coming on. So I took that out and plugged in my 12v to 230v inverter and that wouldnt work either. What I could tell is that the actuall lighter when pressed doesnt get red hot as ive seen it before in other cars.

imag0062d.jpg

^Could all the crap inside be the cause.

The car is a week old used and has a 12month warranty so I will be taking it back to the dealers for them to sort but just wanted a second opinon on here first?

Matt

Last edited:

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
Take it to a dealer and ask for a 15v Fuse for the cig lighter.

Open the driver door. At the side of the dash there is a side flap. Pop that off and repace the fuse according to the guide.

Should be you sorted.

Blakrover

Apr 28, 2010
Preston/Wigan
yeah sounds like a blown fuse to me, mine did this a few weeks ago. Can also get a box of various fuses for a couple of pound.

If you replace the fuse yourself though try not to drop the dead one! I dropped my dead fuse and it's somewhere inside the dash lost forever!!!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
yeah sounds like a blown fuse to me, mine did this a few weeks ago. Can also get a box of various fuses for a couple of pound.

If you replace the fuse yourself though try not to drop the dead one! I dropped my dead fuse and it's somewhere inside the dash lost forever!!!

:lol:

I've done that in my previous car
If you pop off the side panel by the drivers side air vent (The side closest to the door) there will be a fuse panel/fuse card/fuse remover tool.

IMG_0854Large.jpg

Fuse 49 :)

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I had a look at the fuse box during lunch and didnt know where fuse 49 is as i couldnt find the door card. Came back and found someone had posted it for me. :clap:

So I went back out and found what i thought is fuse 49 and nothings there?(pic below)

imag0063y.jpg

I put another 15a fuse in from the fuse box in slot 49 and the cigarette lighter didnt work.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
The crud inside may have shorted it and the previous owner just removed the fuse... you`ll probably find it has already blown the new fuse you put in.

Ask the dealer you bought it from to replace the lighter unit?

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hmmm I think thats the correct fuse.
I'd pop round the dealers and get them to have a look it shouldn't take them five minutes (Quicker than waiting for a response on the forums :) )

Is that Chewing gum in the lighter? Looks like they've accidentally dropped something in and put the lighter over the top and melted it.
I'd have a quick word with the dealer, I think Neo's right.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Yeh I tested the fuse i put in temporarily think it was the head light fuse (the one in the bottom right and corner) and put it back where it was and the headlamps work fine. SO I dont think theres any current going anywhere.

I think the crud in the lightersocket is causing it not to make a connection. I have rang the dealer and they have agreed to squeeze me in first thing Saturday morning.

p.s. Im at work atm and the dealer is 15miles away so I was hoping it would be a new fuse jobbie which I wouldnt mind doing myself.

Last edited:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
In that case they may be able to scrape the crud out and allow it to make a connection again.. simple fix for them.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
yeh I did think abotu getting s touuch brush (old one of course) and scraping it out but the middle pin looks pretty black.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
yeh I did think abotu getting s touuch brush (old one of course) and scraping it out but the middle pin looks pretty black.

Yeah looks like it has been shorting out, once it`s off the car it should be easy to clean up then test it.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Excuse my shocking typing in that last post I was rather rushed.

Ill just give it to the dealer to sort as it looks like the previous owner has put some ash down there. Should be a quick fix and its not like its a major bit of the car.

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
Digging up an old one here. Recently I plugged a dodgy air compresser into my fag lighter (didn't know it was dodgy). Plugged the fag lighter in a few days later and it got stuck in the down position so I couldn't get it out. I went to change the fuses today and the fag lighter fuse was blown alright. So I changed the fuse for a new one but the lighter is still stuck and I still can't get it out. Anyone have any ideas or experienced this before?

Nov 17, 2020
Hi, I’m having a similar problem, I changed the fuse and still no luck? Any other suggestions before I take it to the garage? Much appreciated