Back with an LCR

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Right, not been on much lately - sold my slightly modded Leon Cupra 180 for something a bit practical and sensible (Octavia vRS PD170) but due to change in work and the gods of fortune been able to get hold of a Mk1 LCR 210 (AMK engine) as a weekend/play car.

Mods so far - there's a cone filter which needs replacing at somepoint, and fitted a Forge 007p at the weekend.

Standard Onvi problem - paint fade. Got a quote for a respray this morning which will require another couple of months invoices being paid, and got the number for a bodyshop that thinks a good machine polish should fix a lot of it without needing a full respray - got to go and see the guy at somepoint so he can take a look and see what he thinks.

Future plans - well there are a few, but want to get the bodywork and paint sorted out first, after that probably replace the cone filter and look at a Stage 1 map before starting to get things together for a stage 2.

And of course, the obligatory pictures

58893_430078519785_532409785_5106002_6471616_n.jpg

47792_430351129785_532409785_5113622_3662180_n.jpg

More to come as and when :)

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Imagine most people that go to the East Anglia meets have seen it before ...

Got a quote for a full respray today - told me to budget £2500 for a strip-down, full respray and re-assembly as well as any clips/badges etc. that can't be re-used ... any thoughts on whether that's a decent price for it? Also thinking, if I'm doing a full respray, maybe a slightly different yellow ... at the moment considering the Chrono Yellow from the Mk2's ...

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Your better off wrapping it! It will work out much cheaper Kev for sure as you wont have to take things off

How about a matt black like the Leon Cupra R review we had on SCN?

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Yeah, going to get a couple of quotes for a vinyl wrap as well - thinking yellow front, silver back similar to Plato's BTCC Toledo with a checkerboard fade between the two ...

There are a couple of areas of paint I'd want fixing first - there's some lacquer peel on the roof, and a small bit of surface rust on one rear wheel arch that I don't want to just cover over and forget :(

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Right, got a quote from a bodyshop for sorting rear-quarter panel (small amount of rust) and roof (lacquer peel) this morning which comes in at about £700.

Also spoken to 2 shops that do wraps, and looking at £800-£1400 for a wrap (depending on whether it's a solid colour wrap, or digital print) which makes it come very close to the £2500 I was quoted for a full respray in Ovni ... want to get those 2 bits of painting done before it's wrapped (just so it's not out of sight out of mind) ... hmmm, decisions decisions ...

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Is the wrapping to do all the door shuts and all visible areas of the car?

I think there are so many advantages with wrapping especially if you go for a unique colour like the matt black found on the Focus RS 500. You wont have to worry about stone chips or the car getting keyed. If it does get damaged then it can easily be replaced and I guess there wont be much need for polishing either.

If there is lacquer feel then I wouldnt get that fixed of your wrapping it. Rust may need more attention however.

EDIT: http://83.142.226.143/go/case-studies/bmw-m5-wrapped-matt-black-case-study.html

Come out pretty good.

Last edited:

NWhiteley

May 26, 2006
up north
Sorry for the off-topic-ish question, but i do believe as you are considering a wrap it could be in a diferent colour, so i think its better than starting a new thread.

If you where to get a wrap done in a different colour, do you need to get the log book ammended? Im assuming that you would have to for a respray in a different colour.

*edit* got all the info i need from the link above in jonjays post, cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Yeah, wrap would be every panel plus into the shuts - I am very tempted by a wrap, as you said a lot easier to get fixed if anything does happen with regards stone chips or keying/supermarket dings etc.

The lacquer peel I'm not especially worried about (guy at bodyshop said he thinks that parts already been sprayed once already) but the rust I definitely want sorted (again, there's a couple of small bubbles of surface rust coming through the paint on the offside rear wheel arch) as if it's wrapped then I won't see if it gets any worse and could end up being a new panel ...

Next step is to get some front/rear/top/side shots taken on my camera, mail them to the vinyl people, they can then mock up a few designs for me, go in and have a chat with their designer, decide what I want and from that get a definite price on it ...

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
If your going to wrap the panel with the rust on Kev then you don't want to spend all that money getting it painted first?

Just get the area sanded down and treated then spray some aerosol primer over it, can do it yourself £30 tops.

I can give you a hand to do it if you can wait a few weeks until after my wedding?

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Yeah I was thinking that ... just sand it down nice and slow, rust-preventer, etch-primer and paint and it doesn't matter too much about blending it all in if it's getting wrapped soon after, weekend job at some point - the thing I was slightly worried about was the lacquer peel on the roof and if covering that up with vinyl was going to cause it to rust up un-seen, but feel better that it's not ... sounding like a plan ...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.