Mk1 Ibiza System Porsche

Pervy_Paul

Oct 22, 2010
Chesterfield
www.seatcupra.net
Well as some of you will have read in my introduction post, I've just been given a 1989 Seat Ibiza 1.2L System Porsche.

The cars been in the family from new, and only covered just over 33'000 miles. Its been stood in a garage covering around 400 miles per year for the last 10 years, so its in pretty good condition for a 21 year old car.

I plan on getting it as clean and as close to new condition as I can without fully stripping it down and rebuilding it. I'm hoping to have it as a show car as these little things must be pretty rare now.

As I got it after a wash
P1020118.jpg

P1020114.jpg

P1020113.jpg

P1020123.jpg

Started cleaning it up
P1020162.jpg

P1020172.jpg

P1020181.jpg

P1020184.jpg

I will update as I go along, but only doing it in the bit of spare time I get!!

CRAIGHUTCH

Floppy member
Aug 31, 2010
co. durham
wow looking clean.... someone seems to have stuffed a spare wheel in your engine bay......

theres that much room in my gti's i could keep mine there too ha ha

nice work mate

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
Wow thats a rarity mate, looks in great condition for the age. Nice car, many plans?

I'd get some nice alloys from a newer Ibiza, I can imagine that'll look quite nice

Pervy_Paul

Oct 22, 2010
Chesterfield
www.seatcupra.net
Just plan on getting it fully cleaned up really. Got the wheels in the boot of my scooby to get the 21year old original tyres changed for some slightly more modern! lol

I thought about changing the wheels for SXI ones but I think keeping totally standard the way to go really. Its not worth a great deal even in mint condition, but these things must be like chickens teeth nowadays!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
check ya local dealer and order a clutch cable or 2 and tie wrap it to the original so you don't loose it as they were a common fault

last time i got one (6-9mths or so) there was only 6 left in the country

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
must admit was a few common parts that I bet most dealers wouldn't have access too anyway as they were bad enough 10+yrs ago :)

ill add em up in the main section

TiggsGTI

Rust is fashionable...
Jun 10, 2010
Stirling
www.facebook.com
Omg I have never seen a mk1! It's so cute! It kinda reminds me of a mk2 polo. I can't get over the condition, it looks immaculate :) very low mileage too, you've definitely got a good 1!

Pervy_Paul

Oct 22, 2010
Chesterfield
www.seatcupra.net
Omg I have never seen a mk1! It's so cute! It kinda reminds me of a mk2 polo. I can't get over the condition, it looks immaculate :) very low mileage too, you've definitely got a good 1!

I think VW shelved this design as it was originally going to be the mk2 golf!
Its been in the family from new back in '89 and apart from having a new wing and bumper when it was less than a year old (Gran managed to hit the side of the house!) Its all original. Its not totally immaculate, few rust patches here and there, but they've cleaned up and not too noticeable now....

Before
P1020155.jpg

After
P1020157.jpg

and a 50/50 This didnt show up as well as I'd hoped, the paint work came up about 10 shades lighter after a going over with some G3 Its just needs waxing and polishing now

P1020139.jpg

Reactions: Superman001

Pervy_Paul

Oct 22, 2010
Chesterfield
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for all the comments guys n girls.

Just been and got 4 new tyres for it to replace the 20+year old perished ones! £120 for 4 fitted, I pay way more than that for 1 tyre usually... Bargain lol.

When I got the car home on tuesday it was having a few starting issues. Removed the aitbox to find most of the rubber hoses from the carb (Yes its not fuel injected) were perished through. Replaced the worst of the hoses and starts like its just come from the factory again.

Just need to get some new spark plugs (last changed in 1992) and change the fuel filter then it should run like new again.

Gonna give her some fresh oil too, not decided what grade would be best yet, was thinking 20w50 but might settle for 15w40.

Heres a quick before and after of the fuel filler flap
P1020152.jpg

P1020154.jpg

Most of the paintwork was like this, loads of fine scratches and marks, but the G3 worked like magic and cleared 95% of the marks
P1020151.jpg

P1020153.jpg

Wash It!

Feb 21, 2009
Hampshire
I know you want to keep this thing standard and kudos to you for that, the car looks fab as it is.
But I can't help but think what an awesome sleeper it could become.

If it's not worth that much anyway... :)

Pervy_Paul

Oct 22, 2010
Chesterfield
www.seatcupra.net
I know you want to keep this thing standard and kudos to you for that, the car looks fab as it is.
But I can't help but think what an awesome sleeper it could become.

If it's not worth that much anyway... :)

Oh yeh, the engine bay is more than big enough to wack a 1.8/2.0 turbo engine in there. But I've got a 350bhp Scooby already, and with how petrol prices are going running fast cars is gonna get even more expensive soon!